E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W221 FRONT SUSPENSION SQUEAK.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S CLASS W221 S350 AWD, M CLASS W164 ML350 SUV, ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER SERAPH, ASTON MARTIN V12 VANQUISH
W221 FRONT SUSPENSION SQUEAK.

I have on my 2010 W221 S Class 58k miles, a very annoying squeak from the Left Front Suspension.
This can only be heard at very low speed but over the slightest bump or undulation. If the car was not so quiet it would not be heard at all.
It is not from a ball joint or suspension arm pivot.
When I get the car to make the noise by stepping on the left front door tread plate, I, and everyone else hearing it reckon it comes from the left front suspension turret.
It does sound just like a worn Shock Absorber or like a squeak from a rear leaf spring in days gone by.
But of course this car has neither. It has an air suspension strut. I cannot see how it can be anything else, but someone on here once said that these suspension struts don't make any noise and either work or fail.
Anyone else experience a noisy air strut? Is there any cure apart from replacement?
Old 12-17-2019, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by MercedesLondon
I have on my 2010 W221 S Class 58k miles, a very annoying squeak from the Left Front Suspension.
This can only be heard at very low speed but over the slightest bump or undulation. If the car was not so quiet it would not be heard at all.
When I get the car to make the noise by stepping on the left front door tread plate, I, and everyone else hearing it reckon it comes from the left front suspension turret.
It does sound just like a worn Shock Absorber or like a squeak from a rear leaf spring in days gone by.
But of course this car has neither. It has an air suspension strut. I cannot see how it can be anything else, but someone on here once said that these suspension struts don't make any noise and either work or fail.
Anyone else experience a noisy air strut? Is there any cure apart from replacement?
You are on the W124 forum and may want to post on the W221 forum.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Most likely the ball joint on the lower spring link. Like over 95% It's about the only thing on those that creaks like an old boat. Try the 221 forum
Old 12-18-2019, 03:54 PM

S CLASS W221 S350 AWD, M CLASS W164 ML350 SUV, ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER SERAPH, ASTON MARTIN V12 VANQUISH
I take it that you are referring to the ball joint at the base of the strut?
Old 12-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I take it that you are referring to the ball joint at the base of the strut?
No at the end of the spring link that connects to the steering knuckle. The one at the end of the strut typically just gets loose. The one on the end dries out and gets creaky
Old 12-18-2019, 07:39 PM

This is what I call the Left hand front rear control arm that goes from the chassis to the steering knuckle to which the strut ball joint bolts onto.

The Left hand front rear lower control arm was removed, fully inspected, ball joint rubber boot removed ball swivel inspected for pits or rust, (what you can see of it), fully greased, rubber boot replaced and arm refitted.