E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Opinions on lowering '91 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 300E
Opinions on lowering '91 300E

I was now thinking of lowering this puppy and was wondering what people's experiences were with it as I have seen plenty in the pic gallery?

Looked into koni gas adjustables but the site seemed to say they didn't have the adjustables for the rear??

I spoke to renntech and the gentlemen there had told me they were available but maybe from someone else i guess like bilstein...also required was camber adjustment bushings for the rear at 400 smackers i was informed...

Now with gas adjustables how much does this affect the ride quality between soft and hard settings??? and how different is this from stock? of course understanding it will be stiffer.

Thinking going eibach with the springs...

any info would be appreciated of course

thanx for your time.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Some Links to Info

Below you will see a couple of links that contain information about suspension modifications.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=swaybar

Old 08-24-2004, 06:27 PM

91 300E
oOoooOOo awesome dood...thankyou very much sir.

ahhh your setup actually looks like what I am looking for....I am looking for something middle road wise as I am not interested in slamming the car, just improving the handling a little, not making it stiff as all hell, lowering a little to improve look etc...

I assume your car in that picture is the car with the mods...

My car currently is quite mushy to say the least...all i have put on it right now are the 17" AMG monoblocks.

Also, what does this bump pad business mean?? forgive me I am new with this car..

Last edited by zahkunst; 08-24-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I found the OEM Sportline-spec setup fit my needs nicely. I did the whole setup (less steering box) and even got the 8-hole sportline-spec 7 X 15 OEM alloys.

I love the way this car drives!

BTW, "bump" refers to the height of the spring pads. MB uses notches or "bumps" on the side of the spring pad to allow a quick visual determination of which pad is installed.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:29 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Not Mushy

The 1-bump, 2-bump, 3-bump, and 4-bump pads are 8mm, 13mm, 18mm, and 23mm , respectively. The pads fit on top of the springs to provide a cushion for the springs and to allow for subtle adjustments in the ride height of the car. I read that a 5mm difference in the pad translates to about a 7mm difference at the fender, although I have not confirmed that relationship with personal experience.

It is my car and it has the modifications listed. My car is NOT "MUSHY"
Old 08-26-2004, 10:10 AM

88 260 E
Depends

Zah,

I wouldn't call Renntech for pricing, although they are a very good tuner, they're also one of the most expensive. KOni's are great but unless you plan on taking your car on the track, the adjustabilty factor will never justify the extra cost over Bilstein sports. Not to knock Eibachs or H & R's they're both great but it depends on how you like your set-up(car). This is just my evaluation. I have Eibach pros on my daily driver pros are not that much of a drop, almost unnoticable. They are better than stock but alot softer in handling than H & R's. H & R's will give you a lower drop stiffer handling and a lil bit harsher ride. I have two friends with lowered E's both with H & R's & Bilstein's.I've driven & rode in both numerous times. When it was time to lower my W124 I was going to go with this set-up as well. Unfortunately come to find out H &R U.S doesn't carry springs for a 260E anymore. So I ended up going with Vogtlands, I couldn't be happier. I'm not just saying this cuz I have them either. They are a perfect match between Eibach and H & R. Great handling and performance but without the stiff ride. Lowered the car more than H & R's. Both my friends plan on switching to Vogtlands now. So that would be my suggestion. Bilstein sports with Vogtland sport springs.

Good luck

~Cali

Last edited by CaliE320; 08-26-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM

91 300E
hey guys thanx for all the info!!! I'm going to be thinking about this over the next few weeks...

What I thought was strange about this car was that the front of it was noticably lower than the back when I got it. (maybe its the bump setting) Which on the one hand gives it an aggressive look and on the other makes me wonder what's goin on. I don't know if this is a stock MB thing or if something was fiddled along the way...whether it be a bump or the shock getting soft over time with age??

I still remain undecided what I want to do with the suspension as a definite...but here's a picture from the side to show you guys the stance of the car as is now.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on lowering '91 300E-mbside.jpg  
Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
crawling

You can crawl under the car and look up at the spring pads to count the little bumps on the edges of the pads. The pad looks like and upside down cup with the bumps lined up right on the edge. You simply count them 1, 2, 3, or 4. Sometimes the little bumps are spun away from easy view, but I’m sure you will be able to count them if you look carefully.