E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

86 300e nedd help (this car is driving me crazy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 300e nedd help (this car is driving me crazy)

Guys a while back I posted a question on a 300e 1986
this is the opriginal question below
Last night I went to put one of my passenger windows donw and all the interior lights got really dim and then all the lights in the dashboard and all the lights in the window bottuns went out
I have checked the fuses and their are no fuses burned out is their some sort of relay that I should also be looking for now since the fuses in the fuse box are all ok
Car model 300e 1986
Guys thank you so much
PS the headlights work fine blinkers and all are fine what happened?

You guys told me it could be the following (by 124-fan="Hmm.. Sounds like the dimmer switch, behind the instrument cluster")
UPDATE-------------------------------------------
I replaced the switch (dimmer) and now this is the deal after replacing

1.I have light in the center console and on the door window switched at all time they never go off even during the day(is this normal)
2.their is still no night light on the cluster panel(so I cant see how fast or how much fuel I have) I have checked the bulbs and they seem ok not blown also notice that the switch(dimmer) when I turn it the first time it adjusted the light from low to brighter but now no matter which way I turn it its the bright light their is no dimming just bright setting
3. also now when I open the door (driver side) the roof courtesy, map light light does not light up but the passenger side if you open that door it works so I changed the switch from that door (passanger side to drivers side)and drivers side door still doesnt activated the light and both switched work on the passenger side so they are good it sounds like maybe a short in electrical any ideas ?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The only thing what will help you is a wiring diagram of the car. You have to run down wire by wire to find the reason for the "funny" behaviour of the lights.
My guess is that you have somewhere a bad or broken or wrongly connected "ground" connection. But to find it either check together with the diagram or just pull fuse by fuse and see which circuit will eliminate the problem or at least change it. Then you might know in which circuit to search further. If the electric window driver side is involved, it may be the wiring harness of the window passing through the door frame into the chassis. Or also the wires of the door lights/switches. Also check the dome light, the wires there are very close to the roof panel and may have wrong connections randomly . But again this is just uncoordinated searching.
Good luck, anyway
Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I found it BUT

I forgot to thank you
I think I found the situation the window when you open the door their is a black gasket inside are several wires 1big yellow 1black thick and 4 smallones with colors on them like brown and so on
the small ones 4 of them are broken and the big black one has a soft spot and you can see the silver wiring inside
do you know which are the ones that run the motor
the swich for the door does light up for the window I suspect this are the wires in question