E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

beginners w124 200E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004 | 02:34 AM

MB 200E "Sport"
beginners w124 200E

Hi just registered yesterday..reason being i found out i was going to be given my mum's 1989 200E w124 (~160k miles) since my dad bought a '89 220E for her. Mine's in the MB alamandine red colour w the 8 hole alloy 15x6.5's while hers in smoke grey/black w steel wheels (ugh!!) anyway ive been involved w the red car since my dad bought it as family car abt 5 yrs ago 2nd hand...its in good running condition and i want to know opinions abt various things:

Things I will be doing:
clear blinkers n either clear/smoked taillights frm junkyard shops
return to #1 bumpstops as my dad put it up to #2 cause our highways are pretty rough and w whole family in the car it used to grind on the guards
painting the grille background black leaving all the chrome
this car doesnt have the rear trunklid insert where the plate goes so i might do that too,depending on whether i can get that seperately or not

I needed to clarify the sensibility of doing these if anyone can advise me:
white gauges (i have no idea where i could get those)
1st gear start kit??? or is there something a mechanic can adjust so that it takes less throttle angle to get it into 1st gear during start offs?
my alloys were kerbed pretty badly by the previous owner(******) i was wondering whether i should get a different set or find a replacement probably in 16x6.5's hopefully for compliance...
the funny thing is this car seems to be different compared to other MB's in brunei:
main differences are lower suspension, alloys and fuel injected
my aunt has a 230E same year and hers is higher, less stable on the highway any clues??
i was wondering whether the 230E's exhaust were the same if not then would i get extra flow frm putting these on? this car is v asthmatic due to its 2000cc, i can live w the lack of torque only if i get a bit more top end power or less reluctance to rev, any ideas where i can free power by using MB equipment frm bigger engines eg the 230E?? so i dont have to be defected from using aftermarket equipment?
would i gain power from heatshielding the manifold in the engine bay?
would i also get a power gain/smoothness from going to a high-power ignition kit like the Jacob's ignition kit?
im using 20w oil right now, we've tried 15w but oil consumption is higher, is it worth that for the power increase? the engine was overhauled 2 yrs ago so it should be sound for a few more years

I used to try to get everywhere in a hurry but now i realise w the oil consumption n all that id better get into cruising n 'autobahn' mode which is why im focusing on the asthetics....just looking for a bit more power to egg my baby along w less effort thats all....
Im a student and so budgets pretty tight...im from brunei btw (our MB's are similar to singapore market) so if anyone can help me with this or has other opinions on what i can do id greatly appreciate it...thanks heaps guys great forum ive learnt a few things