E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Just bought my 86 300E - Questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought my 86 300E - Questions!

Hey all! I just bought my first MB - an 86 300E. Couple of comments first: wow! This car is solid, especially for being 18 years old. I am not looking forward to the speeding tickets either.

Some questions...:

1. How do the brake pad sensors work? Is it the yellow dash light, next to the parking-brake light? Which wheels have the sensor? I have gathered that the sensor is only on the front brake pads; but that is confusing because the light is coming on intermittenly, but the previous owner claims he changed those. However the rear ones DO need to be changed. Any other special considerations in a brake job here?

2. The power antenna does not work. I believe the motor is bad, how can I be sure? Also the mast is bent. I have seen some replacement antenna motors for around $240, do they come with a mast? How hard of a repair is it? Should I try a pick-a-part for the motor first?

3. In order to get the ventilation van (climate control fan) to work, I have to just jiggle the key in the ignition. How can I fix that? Seems like a slight mis-contact issue? Also, when on heat, the center fans don't blow...but they do when on cold? Is that normal?

4. Can I convert to xenon headlights?

5. How do I operate the headlight wipers?

6. The passenger headrest doesn't work? When the button is clicked, there is a "clicking" noise, is the motor bad? How do I replace it?

7. The driver window is a little weak in operation - will a new motor help that? How Do I replace that?

8. Who can I see about getting some manuals?

9. The engine was rebuilt 100k-150k miles ago, and the previous owner says the tranny has leaked fluid ever since and he has just topped it off as needed. There is some slippage / hard shifting, mostly when cold. Thoughts?

10. Both front doors are missing the bottom "trim" piece (it is held on by clips). I have 1 of the trim pieces, but I need the other and clips for both sides (the current ones seem worn out, that is why it falls off). Where can I get those?

11. The car is very quiet, but there is a slight wind noise in the driver door. Will replacing the door seal help?

Looking back, that list seems daunting. I do appreciate all the tips y'all can give. I look forward to a great relationship with my new car and spending some time on these boards...

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by gcliv; 10-01-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

'89 300E
Hi Chris. Welcome! I can help a little re. the power antenna. You'll know the motor is working if you hear a whirring or soft buzzing sound from the back right fender area when you turn the radio on or off. Also you can try the antenna switch on the dashboard if you have one. If you don't hear that sound, it doesn't of course mean the motor is shot. It could be a bad connection somewhere.

If the motor is good you can get replacement antennas fairly reasonably. Try a site like benzbin, or performanceplus (I think that's the name). Others on this forum will know more about that than I do. Replacing the mast is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM

Question #4, answer is yes. I have done it to mine. The lights are "out of control bright" I blind people going down the street, now I don't have high beams but who needs them when you have the power of XENON.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by E320BENZ
Question #4, answer is yes. I have done it to mine. The lights are "out of control bright" I blind people going down the street, now I don't have high beams but who needs them when you have the power of XENON.
How do I do it??
Old 10-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Jer

1994 E320
Performance Products sells the Xenon kit and the door moldings and clips. Some other vendors might have the lights, but I know PP does for sure.

The center vents work only in cooling mode. However, the A/C compressor does not necessarily need to be running.

Headlight wipers operate when the headlights are on and you spray the windshield.

The brake pad wear indicator is only for the front brakes. When the pads wear down, the metal sensor tip touches the brake disc and completes a circuit to illuminate the indicator. Whenever you replace the front pads, replace the sensors as well. They are cheap.

Good luck!