E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cruise Control Amplifier-please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes 2019 AMG S63, 2015 E250 Bluetec. Previous: '18 E63S, '07 E63, '10 S550, '15 S550, '10 GL350
Cruise Control Amplifier-please help

My cruise control amplifier has gone again, or so the dealer says.
Cruise works perfectly sometimes, then other times it will cancel about 5 seconds after I set it. The amplifier was replaced by the dealer about 4 years ago at around 700 dollars CDN. Is there an aftermarket amplifier I can get, or does anyone know where I can get one for a good deal? Are these things fixable? Please help

D
Old 11-07-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! I am not aware of any aftermarket cruise amps but I have herd about rebuilds I think are available from Adsitco.com but they weren't much cheaper than new and if memory serves close new were upards from $300, rebuilds $200 or so! Also, you could try salvage yards but here you take a chance and these VDO cruise amps seem unreliable also are buried in the dash and difficult to get out! I suspected my amp was in need of resolder as this was mentioned in another forum as a fix, but after removing mine, I accidentally snaped the curcuit board and discovered that before I broke it, it did not appear in need of any resolder. Resoldering might have been neccessary to some of the circuit board componants as it had been described due to mild corrosion. Also, the post I had read a long time ago may have been applicable to 123's not 124's, and at that time my ignorance to MB was aplenty!

I have also heard that other componants of the cruise system can be faulty as well including the "hall effect - speed sensor" You should have the entire cruise system diagnosed before blindly spending money.