E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A little help would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help would be appreciated

I drive a 1990 300E, I have no problems with the car, in fact I think its one hell of a 12 year old car.

My brother recently bought a porche and he gave me this car which happened to be his old one for my birthday.

Not that its not good enough for me, but i'd like to put some money into it. I have heard that the year I have starts off in second gear instead of first. I was wondering if any of you know of any performance chips out there I could get to run the automatic transmission to start it in first? or if it already does start in first, I wouldnt mind getting the chip anyway.

any info is appreciated. Ive searched the web with little luck, Ive found chips for other cars and some Mbenz's but not that old.

Also- any possibility that i can get some sort of Kit to change the halogen lights to those new ones that are white/purple in color? They are called HID Lights, and require a computer to regulate the voltage and what not. I think theyre really great, my pops got them on his SLK 320.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:14 PM

09 ML350
http://www.bergwerks.com/index.jsp
They have the 1st gear start, and they have updated lighting systems.
Also try www.autowerksexpress.com for the lights.
Subman

Congrats on the car.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:46 PM

300e 1st gear vs. 2nd gear

Congrats on the car! I have an 89 300e with 290k and it is a G R E A T car!!!

Anyway, I recommend not updating the chip so you always start in first gear. I drive my car pretty hard and a lot of times do racing from a stop. If I want first gear I either click the power button (flooring it) or put the gear selector in "2" from stop. If you drive the car a lot, it is much more comfortable to let the car start from 2nd gear. I think it was a good move by MB. If you want to race, floor it, or impress everybody by sticking the center gear console into 2. So you know, the power button, as I call it, will always drop the car a gear or two, depending on your speed, and make your head stick to the seat. One great thing to do, if you are already going say, 30-50mph, is to stick the gear selector into 3rd (if the car is now in 4th). The 300e's got tons of torque and you feel it in 3rd when you want to move. If you want tons of torque, put it in second, but it won't last you long. Just look at the spedometer. You will notice the dots inbetween the lines by the speeds. Those are your max speeds for the individual gears. pushing the car in 2nd is hard on the tranny and raises your RPM faster than you can blink, obviously, but will get you goin if you are around 20-30. Anyway, have fun. I have beat a lot of people in their "new" cars with my 89 300e with almost 300,000 miles. If you want, you can add a supercharger. Those things add 90hp, or so I hear!
Old 06-21-2002, 10:22 PM

1995e420
Try this,at stop,put the lever in 2nd and back to D.
Hold on.Take a deep breath,when the light turn green,
"floor it",make sure you had your seat belt on.