E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Vacuum problem, paint and clearcoat problem - Radio problem solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Vacuum problem, paint and clearcoat problem - Radio problem solved

I bought a second 1990 300 TE recently that is rather a fixer upper. It runs excellent and has only 115k miles on it...but it does have some problems.

Problem one I need help with...

When you turn the vent system on, the 3 buttons (forgot to check the defrost button)...you can here a tump......tump......tump sound coming from the inside middle-right area of dash. When you turn the vent system to off...it stops....when you change the fan speed, the tump...tump sounds does NOT change its regularity. It seems to me that the vacuum is trying to move a vent door, but is possibly getting stuck, so continues to "cycle"????? I had the glove box out to repair the radio problem, but while I had it out...this sound went away. Coincidence? Not sure....what do you think? I put the glove box back in, and would hate to remove it again, but will if you can tell me exactly what to look for.

Problem two I need help with....

The paint. There are 3 paint and body issues, and I am looking for the cheapest fix, but must be acceptable. There is a dent on the right front fender on the wheel well at the top. It is about 5 inches long, and looks rather easy for a pro to pound back to normal....but what about restoring the paint in an area that big. Will it look good without painting the entire fender.
The rear hatch has a blister about 1 inch in diameter. It is horizontal with the emblem, about 12 inches to the right. Can this be repaired properly without notice? And...and this is the really weird one....the entire rear passenger side quarter panel looks like it is missing the clearcoat, and has fine scratches. Where the hatch meets the panel...it is really noticable the difference as they run side by side vertically. Not sure how this could have happened....but can this be restored so the whole paint and clearcoat look uniform?

Problems solved...

The radio would cut out, as well as player...sporadically...if you hit a bump...and even smacked the dash. Just the sound would cut out..not the power....as you could see the radio was still on, just no sound....VERY ANNOYING. I removed the glove box and could see that the right dash speaker wire was just barely touching the frame. This would short out all four speakers. I bent the wiring away from the frame, and problem is solved. Also, the antenna mast would only go up about 13 inches. When the antenna switch is in middle position, this is normal. Turns out the previous owner never figured this out, and the antenna mast ended up welding itself (water corrosion) to this position permanently, so it would not go any higher. I replaced just the mast, and now works just fine.

Thanks all
Old 12-18-2004, 11:43 PM

'87 300D - 1995 M3
Sorry, I dont have advice, but I love the avatar you have. Where did you get it? Is there one with him beating a chebby bowtie?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Love the ride...62 impala?

I own a Chevy C10 6.2 diesel pickup...and used to belong to the diesel page. I got it there from another guy. I think if you right click on mine, you should be able to copy it. Sorry, no chebby bowtie :p
Old 12-19-2004, 01:02 PM

'87 300D - 1995 M3
Aight

Its a Biscayne with a twin turbo V8 pushin over 1200 horses. If you click the link, you'll see how insane it is. I belong to ford forum cuz I have a F-250 with a powerstroke and a '96 150. A guy beating a set of ram horns would be good aswell.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 PM

ex 300E driver
Isn't that chevy built by Christpher Titus? I remember seeing this car on "Rides" a while back. I think it does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.