E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Brake squeel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
Brake squeel

Hey quick question, I just replaced the brakes on my E 320. I turned the rotors and replaced the pads. I used the anti Squeel on the pad backing. Now they still send off the squeel when I am on them moving slow and only when I am on them slow. Any ideas of how to get rid of this. I even went back and used brake cleaner on them.

Brian Felts
Old 01-02-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pads

Did you by chance seat the brake pads or use a bedding in procedure when you test drove your car after you were done. Again my feelings on turning import rotors are different then most of you but I do not turn import rotors.

I dont even trust most of these people that turn rotors. These brake Lathes that I have seen in most shops are old and might be in need of repair. Are you sure thou that the person who turned your rotors didnt take them pass the wear limit. I would bet you anything your problem is in the rotor.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 PM

E 320
What is the seating procedure for a Mercedes?

The first turn will never take a rotor past the limits. I always use a mechanist mic to check the run out before they are turned. The metal should be pretty much the same as a American rotor since I am betting they all come from over seas.

Brian
Old 01-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes

Not everyone does it the same way.
I like to start off slow and with light pressure on the brake pedal I let the pads heat up a bit, then take my foot off the brake to let the brakes cool down. I let the car coast a bit before I bring the car to a stop. This bedding in procedure works well. Their are others I use to. What your doing is Mating the pad and the disc friction surfaces.

Didnt you say you bought your car used? How do you know the rotors hadnt been turned before. I am a brake Tech, not saying much other then I have better results when I replace the rotors with the pads. I know your thinking I do this because theirs more money in it for me, well that would be all nice if I were the owner, which I'm not. I do however perform brake work on the side. Not a money thing with me!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:00 PM

E 320
I will try to Re-bed them tomorrow. I really was not thinking there is more money in if for you but I was thinking more money in it for Dealerships. I used a mic and checked the run out on the rotors to make sure they were not out of spec. The job went really easy I just ended up with the slow stop squeel.

Thanks for the info
Brian
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I also get a low speed squeal after I replaced the pads on my car (Pagid). The squeal still persists after 8,000 miles. I'm simply resolved that that it's the nature of the brake pads.