E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Attention ALL W124 Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 03:31 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Attention ALL W124 Owners

I was wondering if anyone has experience any problems with leaks within their trunks? Weather if its due to rain, moisture and what not. I would like to know.

The past two days its been raing pretty hard and I've been parking my car outside rather than in the garage. Today I noticed when I went through my trunk that everything was wet. I tried looking for a leak and the possibilities of where it cold be forming but no luck on that. Pretty much everyone on the left and right side is damped and it even got to my spare tire compartment as well. Really strange to see how water is getting into the trunk area. Especially within the spare tire.

Any information would be welcomed and appreciated. For now, I'm not parking outside anymore!
Old 02-12-2005, 04:15 PM

1992 400E (86 300E, 98 S420) - Retired
you should have a drain hole in the trunk, i think we have two. (dont quote on that) Check the Drain Plugs. I'm sure over time they will start to leak. also look at the weather stripping at the side of the trunk-lid where it meets the back glass. that tends to leak if not taken care of properly.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:16 PM

1992 400E (86 300E, 98 S420) - Retired
also check your license plate lights. i've heard that they can leak.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I've checked everything so far. Nothing suspicious. Also, the plastic piece that is on the corner of the trunk, don't know if you guys know what I am talking about though. haha

Anyways, my trunk is soaken wet. I just barely got done cleaning out the water and drying everything with a hair dryer. I only saw one drain hole in the trunk.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 PM

ex 300E driver
You might need new rubber spacers. They are located on the edges of the trunk, where it look like this \ / . look at the top edges, the rubber might be brittle. It cost about $15 to replace them.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by mike690003
You might need new rubber spacers. They are located on the edges of the trunk, where it look like this \ / . look at the top edges, the rubber might be brittle. It cost about $15 to replace them.
Is that the plastic piece on the uppoer corners of the trunk where you can only see it when the trunk is opened...also has two bolts on each side holding it? Thats the only think I can think of that you mean.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Almost a Member!

You might just need a new trunk lid seal kit. I have to do mine soon.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:01 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Okay, this is definately weird. I parked my car inside and havent drove it all day and I went to check my trunk earlier and my carpet lining is still damp when yesterday it was dry.

Could it be moisture playing a big roll in this? Doesn't make sense since this has never happened before and yet when its not really that cold here in SoCal.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:59 AM

W124
Here's an idea...
Remove the two trim pieces from the wells on either side. Sit inside the 'trunk' with a torch. Get a friend to hose water all over the rear and see where it comes in.
Rubber seals and electric aerials are favourite.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:10 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by cap'n jasper
Here's an idea...
Remove the two trim pieces from the wells on either side. Sit inside the 'trunk' with a torch. Get a friend to hose water all over the rear and see where it comes in.
Rubber seals and electric aerials are favourite.
wow...its funny because I was just talkng to my friend on AIM and he said the same exact thing. creepy.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
..........check your air conditioner hoses hoses.

ted
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe check the rubber seal that is at the bottom of the rear window...mine is all dried up and appears to have shrank a bit though no water in my trunk (garaged 100% of the time)

Its a $25 part....it sure sounds like a bad seal somewhere on the back of your car. Did you check to see if the drain plug was plugged also? That's common.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Check the rubber seals and they are all pretty new and in good condition. Another reason might be that the underlining on the bottom of the floor carpet was still damp and might have caused a moisture build up...anyhow...I left my trunk opened over night and hopefully that dried everything up. I'll see tomorrow if I get the same situation.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 PM

1991 300ce, 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
YES, my trunk leaks also...I noticed this the second time it rained after buying my car(first time car was parked somewhere else). I park in a car port, and because I'm too lazy to grind down the peice of rebar that's sticking out of the parking block, I tend to leave my *** hanging out a bit...turns out that when it rains pretty hard, there's this spot on the roof of the car port that act's like a drain for the roof, pours right out on to the trunk on the passenger side. The carpet was pretty wet but nothing else and it was mostly on the passenger side, creepy towards the center. Anyway, after that it happened once again (didn't know it was gonna rain). when it's rained and my car is out and about or even paked somewhere else...no leaks.

Is that where you're finder moisture? Hope this helps you Chris.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, mine is similar to you Tony but try the whole floor mat and the side panels of the trunk. I dried everything up so I'm gonna test some stuff out again and see whats causing it.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:09 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Did you figure this out? When I removed a sunroof panel from my parts car, there is a water catch tray underneath with hoses to drain out the back through the c pillars (back window). Likely they are not draining "through" the car...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:44 PM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
your being sabotaged!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris, this just a hunch ok. I reckon your car has had a shunt up the **** at some stage and been repaired, as the alignment of the trunk to the body is fairly critical, the rubber is supposed to take up any variations and make it water tight, however all may seem ok, but if the car is parked on a slight slope, with the front of the car being lower than the rear, any water will just sit on the back around the trunk seal and will not drain away, if there is any gaps, this is where it will come from. Smear some vaseline on the top of the seal and shut the trunk, then lift it up and look on the trunk to see where the seal hasn't touched, there will be no vaseline there. Then with your hands, pull the bodywork up in this area, so that it sits higher than before until the seal makes contact everywhere. The bodywork is only tin steel so it is not that hard. Also, a good thing for everyone to do is to take off the seal periodically and clean the body where it goes. Over time dirt and leaves etc build up and affect the drainage capabilities of the area around which the seal sits, then clean the seal and put it back. This is the only place except the aerial and around the taillights that it can be coming from. I am assuming that your tailights are sealed properly ??
Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 PM

'92 300E
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
I was wondering if anyone has experience any problems with leaks within their trunks? Weather if its due to rain, moisture and what not. I would like to know.

The past two days its been raing pretty hard and I've been parking my car outside rather than in the garage. Today I noticed when I went through my trunk that everything was wet. I tried looking for a leak and the possibilities of where it cold be forming but no luck on that. Pretty much everyone on the left and right side is damped and it even got to my spare tire compartment as well. Really strange to see how water is getting into the trunk area. Especially within the spare tire.

Any information would be welcomed and appreciated. For now, I'm not parking outside anymore!

I see this is a year and a half old thread, but if your still having the problem, i had the same thing, and it was a leak on the right top of my rear window.