E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Manifold Intake Flaps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold Intake Flaps

Recently I had my rust problems resolved by MB and the job looks excellent. No charge after talking to the service mgr.

At the same time I had a service completed on my 98 300DT with 90K miles on the clock. When I picked up the vehicle, after a three week stay, the car ran like crap. Turned out the air mass sensor was bad and that was replaced to the tune of $500. I felt the car was running much better with some added power. Must have been dying and I didn't realize it.

Immediately after I picked up the car I started experiencing a flutter, dealer calls it a surging, under normal throttle. Being told now I have to replace one of the manifold intake flaps. Estimate about $4-500.

My previously owned 87 & 91 E300d's did not experience a fraction of the problems the 98 has had and now I am wondering if it time to cut my looses and move on. Don't know what the next $500. repair might be.

Has anyone had the manifold intake flap replaced? Is there a separate MB diesel board?

Anyone know of a good, dumb statement, MB diesel mechanic in NWNJ or E. PA?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 AM

1997 E320 2000 ML430
What rust did you get fixed? Was this on your 98 E300? Did you have any type of extended warranty?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally Posted by maxm
Recently I had my rust problems resolved by MB and the job looks excellent. No charge after talking to the service mgr.

At the same time I had a service completed on my 98 300DT with 90K miles on the clock. When I picked up the vehicle, after a three week stay, the car ran like crap. Turned out the air mass sensor was bad and that was replaced to the tune of $500. I felt the car was running much better with some added power. Must have been dying and I didn't realize it.

Immediately after I picked up the car I started experiencing a flutter, dealer calls it a surging, under normal throttle. Being told now I have to replace one of the manifold intake flaps. Estimate about $4-500.

My previously owned 87 & 91 E300d's did not experience a fraction of the problems the 98 has had and now I am wondering if it time to cut my looses and move on. Don't know what the next $500. repair might be.

Has anyone had the manifold intake flap replaced? Is there a separate MB diesel board?

Anyone know of a good, dumb statement, MB diesel mechanic in NWNJ or E. PA?

Thanks.
Where are you? You should be able to find a good independent mechanic locally...

I know the MAF's are pricey, but not $500. That is easily an item you could have replaced on your own. The resonance flaps? I'm not aware of any on the OM606 turbo. Took th emanifold off of our '99 E300 and don't recall any flaps. On my '97 E300 non-turbo there are at least 2 sets of resonance flaps.

Could just be a cracked or loose vacuum line somewhere? Make sure that your airbox is completely sealed. Those airboxes have been known to deform due to the heat from the turbo, causing a warp and letting in air other than that passed through the filter. Just a thought and thing to watch out for...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the response and I will check the air box and vacumn lines.

How do I find out if there are manifold intake flaps w/o going to a dealer? Probably a dumb question.

I am located in NW New Jersey about 15 miles from the Delaware Water Gap.

The rust issue is the thread I started back in January. Rust was located below the door belt piece and the trunk lock. Told the dealer this was not acceptable on a six year old car and that even VW had a seven or 10 year rust warranty.

They were aware, see other posts, of the problem and stepped up to the plate.

Thanks.