E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lights bulb questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Lights bulb questions

Hi All,

Please pardon my ignorance. I have the factory OEM xenons on my 01 E430 Sport and want to find "white looking" light bulbs, for my fog and the smaller light near the headlights (please see pic) that will match the xenon lights as closely as possible. Right now the xenons are white and the other two lights are yellow. Can someone please tell me the correct bulbs to buy.

I appreicate the help.
Attached Thumbnails Lights bulb questions-01_wdbjf70j51b364097.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by sbarsap
Hi All,

Please pardon my ignorance. I have the factory OEM xenons on my 01 E430 Sport and want to find "white looking" light bulbs, for my fog and the smaller light near the headlights (please see pic) that will match the xenon lights as closely as possible. Right now the xenons are white and the other two lights are yellow. Can someone please tell me the correct bulbs to buy.

I appreicate the help.
If the facelift AMG are the same as the pre-facelift like mine, the fogs will be H3's (the stock bumper fogs are H1's - so it depends on what they used on teh facelift sport bumper u have). To check, take one out and see (that's your best check). The middle parklights are H6W.

If you can find them, the Osram Cool Blue or Philips Blue Vision H6W parklight bulbs will probably be the best available - not exactly white but a much better match.

There will be many opininions on the H3's (or H1 or whatever u have in there) but the best I have seen are Philips Crystal Visions in terms of color tempreture and light quality. Member, Stemags has these.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 PM

Whitey, as always thanks for the advice. BTW I got the wheel badges you recommended.
Attached Thumbnails Lights bulb questions-1.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Whitey, as always thanks for the advice. BTW I got the wheel badges you recommended.
Nicey!!!! You got the black ones I presume?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
I definitely suggest the Phillips Crystal Visions in the fogs,H1,,,good color for the xenons,,,also think about the Sylvania Silver stars for Hi beams,,,H7.I like those wheels too brother,,I'm using the blue laurel,,excellent choice.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey
Nicey!!!! You got the black ones I presume?
Yes I got the black ones.

Stemags thanks for your help and you new wheels look great too.

I had one more question, is it worth going with the new look projector lights if I have xenon, I really like the clear look like the 03+ W211's. Has anyone replaced their xenons with the clear projectors and if so what's you opinion.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I had one more question, is it worth going with the new look projector lights if I have xenon, I really like the clear look like the 03+ W211's. Has anyone replaced their xenons with the clear projectors and if so what's you opinion.
I believe this one's more for zam2000......

I personally like the look of them but from what I've been told and read around here is they are of very poor quality - the casing leaks and the entire assembly is very light and rattles quite a bit i.e. flimsy, the projectors themselves gives a poor beam and will require extensive mods (and more $$$$) to retrofit branded projectors...then u might just end up with something worth keeping.....the choice is yours.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430, 2001 Harley Fatboy
I do not have HIDs on my car, will in the future. I m not a big fan of the projectors, as far as looks go, on the 210. They look too japanese. I am sure they work great, but for the money I would keep the HIDs (change to a different bulb)
JMTC
Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Hi, Jim,

When I first changed the HID bulb, I only felt the color changed.
Then, I got a set of OEM xenon headlights, they are much brighter.
And I always feel that it is dim when I drive others' car.

I personally checked the clear headlight, Depo.
Whity is right, the quality of housing is not good.
However, I also checked Zam2000's modified Depo headlight.
Wow~ further and brighter!!!
The quality of the light is better!
Then, I think maybe I should ignor the quality of the headlight housing.

Good luck!
Ben
Old 04-14-2005, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey,no problem,I am a big fan of the rivets as some here can attest,and I would certainly wear yours. Whitey is right,the consensus was established long ago re: aftermkt projectors.Seems the quality is so so.The OEM xenons are pretty expandable as far as bulb choices.Is it worth it to get the OEM setup?Hmmm.

Yes I got the black ones.

Stemags thanks for your help and you new wheels look great too.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM

Stemags, what kind of wheels are they? From your info at the bottom I guess they are 17"ers, but thats all I could discern. Are the original MBs or aftermarket? Where did you get them?

What are the stock bulbs MB uses for the fogs? I'm sure I could go pull one, but it's easier to ask at the moment.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by duckwood
Stemags, what kind of wheels are they? From your info at the bottom I guess they are 17"ers, but thats all I could discern. Are the original MBs or aftermarket? Where did you get them?

What are the stock bulbs MB uses for the fogs? I'm sure I could go pull one, but it's easier to ask at the moment.
Duck,,they are OEM AMG type IV's,or some call them double spoke 209's,and they are 17".They came off a C55,but Whitey informs they also come on CLK 55's too.Got them from a seller on ebay who takes "take-offs" from new Benz buyers who change their wheels after they buy the car.

Im now sure all the MY bulbs are same,but I think 99-02 fogs are H1,which mine are.

Last edited by stemags; 04-17-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM

Attached is a pic of my new bulbs:

Fogs - Phillips H3 Crystal Visions
Parking - H6W Phillips Blue Vision

I am very happy with the fogs since they look almost white and match the OEM xenons. But the parking lights are still a bit yellow. Thanks to Whitey and Stemags for the suggestions. I also ordered Sylvania Silverstars H7's for the high beams but haven't installed them yet.
Attached Thumbnails Lights bulb questions-dscn0351.jpg  
Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde

I am very happy with the fogs since they look almost white and match the OEM xenons. But the parking lights are still a bit yellow. Thanks to Whitey and Stemags for the suggestions. I also ordered Sylvania Silverstars H7's for the high beams but haven't installed them yet.
If by any chance your Crystal Visions expire, try Philips Diamond Visions for your fogs - they are an even closer match in color with a slight tint of blue in the light output and will give a cleaner, sharper light (since they are cased in crystal) with no noticeable loss of brightness. Actually, I had the Crystals mixed with the Diamond Visions when I suggested it .....but glad the Crystals turned out quite well anyway.

I recently also tried the Blue Vision city lights and like you, was quite disappointed with the effect (despite what the sites say about them). Found them very close to my OEM city's (bottom right) in color i.e. quite yellow but definitely brighter. In the end, I re-installed the Polarg Bi-Hybrid city light bulbs (top right) which turned out to be less yellow than both the OEM and Philips Blue Visions. Here's a little comparison of the three bulbs - sorry about the crappy pic:
Attached Thumbnails Lights bulb questions-comparisons_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 05-06-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I tried Polarg Bi-Hybrid city light bulbs, they are "light blue", and I felt they are weird...
Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by Ben'z
I tried Polarg Bi-Hybrid city light bulbs, they are "light blue", and I felt they are weird...
Not when you have 6000K+ bulbs ....then they still appear a yellow
Old 05-07-2005, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quite alright SB,,the H7 Sylvanias are real nice,you'll appreciate them.Now that Dave has confirmed the Diamond are the match for the Xenons,,when mine are done(Crystals),I'll try the Diamond Visions for my fogs next.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:58 PM

Ok guys I just got a set of the Polarg ® B1 Hybrid Hyper White City Light 8W and installed them for my "city lights".

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/2784

I am quite pleased with them, almost close to white output. If you read this entire thread you can see the other bulbs I had bought (H6W Phillips Blue Vision). The Polargs are 8W and so far I haven't had any issues, I had to file of one prong to install them, pretty simple. They aren't as bright as my old ugly yellow bulbs but they look good and the light output is clean.

I need to figure out how to take better pics for night shots, I turned the flash off and the pic is blurry.
Attached Thumbnails Lights bulb questions-lights1.jpg  

Last edited by sbarsap; 07-23-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:03 AM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
So, The Consensus Is...

If I got it right, for my 2001 E430 with OEM Xenons I should get:
Fog Lights: Phillips Diamond Visions
Hi Beams: Sylvania Silverstar H7
Parking Lights (also referred to a City Lights?): Polarg B1 Hybrid Hyper White City Light 8W.

Questions:
1. On Whitey's Post: "Not when you have 6000K+ bulbs ....then they still appear yellow". Do that mean they don't appear blue next to the OEM Xenons?
2. Where can I purchase the Diamond Visions and Silverstars?
3. Are there other alternatives to the Polarg, and why does a prong have to be removed?
4. My OEM foglights were replaced countless times by the dealer, until they finally also replaced the wiring harness. Can the vehicle's wiring harness handle these lamps>
5. Did any of these lamps cause the dreaded "Lamp Malfunction Alarm?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by livetodrive
Parking Lights (also referred to a City Lights?): Polarg B1 Hybrid Hyper White City Light 8W.

Questions:
1. On Whitey's Post: "Not when you have 6000K+ bulbs ....then they still appear yellow". Do that mean they don't appear blue next to the OEM Xenons?
3. Are there other alternatives to the Polarg, and why does a prong have to be removed?
4. My OEM foglights were replaced countless times by the dealer, until they finally also replaced the wiring harness. Can the vehicle's wiring harness handle these lamps>
Thanks
Yes get only the fogs and city lights since the high beams are rarely used atleast I rarely use them so who cares if they are white or not.

If you have the non-sport model then you will need H1 Phillips Diamond Visions (direct OEM replacement) so it will work with no issues with your wiring harness. You can buy them from:
http://www.suvlights.com/halogen-h1.htm

For the city lights the OEM's are H6W bulbs, and no one has found any good one which are really close to white to match their xenons unless you use LED's but that requires additional hardware/wiring.
The Polarg's are an 8W bulb and the prongs are not the same as the OEM H6W bulb, hence you will have to file of one prong. I used a plier and removed the prong on my bulbs. Since the 8W in a little higher wattage than the OEM's there was some concern in an earlier thread about blowing a fuse but there was another memeber who has used the bulb for two years with no issues. Search for H6W there are alot of threads talking about it.

Here is one:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=h6w

Last edited by sbarsap; 07-24-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by livetodrive

Questions:
Thanks
Next to my 6400+K (bluish) headlamps, they are still yellowish by comparison although much better than OEMs and the Philips Blue Vision H6W that are rumored to be white (and they are not much better than the OEMs!) as you can see from my pics. However, from what I can see, the Polargs seem to have a better effect on the post-facelift city lights, possibly because of the clearer lens that they use on the light.

Diamond visions are of a much better xenon matching color tempreture than Silverstars but possibly not as bright - I have seem both in action on the same car. I have read on numerous forums that the Silverstars are not durable (lasts less than a year) due to the excessive gases they put in them to give a whiter light than the other brands with a heavier blue tint. On the otherhand, the Diamond Visions with a darker blue tint, have a crystal glass and probably better use of gases, so will last and look better.

All the bulbs discussed here are within the tolerances of the car's warning system, so will not trigger off the light out warnings or have any ill-effects on the car's electrical system. I think I have a lower wattage Polargs (from memory, 4-5W) than the 8W Polargs Sheldon has but I'll double check mine. In any case, I've been using these for 2-3 years without any trouble.

Last edited by Whitey; 07-24-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I need to figure out how to take better pics for night shots, I turned the flash off and the pic is blurry.
Use a tripod or rest you camera on something stationary....or stay off the drugs..lol :p

Glad they'd turned out good.....now I am convinced the effect of the Polorgs is better on the postfaclift citylight lenses!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:36 AM

[QUOTE= or stay off the drugs..lol :p

Thanks for the tip, bro.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S-550, 2001 E-430 & 1997 E-420
Exclamation How to change the bulb?

I got the Polarg B1 Hybrid Hyper White City Light 8W and Phillips Diamond Visions H1.

Do any one have step by step pics for how to replace the bulb with new one. I don't know how to open the City light and fog light to install new bulb.

Any help will be appreciated.

Whitey or sbarsap if you can help me in installing new bulb will be appreciate.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by hadam
I got the Polarg B1 Hybrid Hyper White City Light 8W and Phillips Diamond Visions H1.

Do any one have step by step pics for how to replace the bulb with new one. I don't know how to open the City light and fog light to install new bulb.

Any help will be appreciated.

Whitey or sbarsap if you can help me in installing new bulb will be appreciate.
City lights:

1) Pull the retaining wire on the back of the headlamp to the opposite side to its normal postion. This will free the cover of the light unit.

2) You will see a number of wires going into the center lights, a set for the high beams and a wire leading to the city lights (if I remember correctly, that would be the one on top)

3) Firmly but gently pull the entire black plastic base/conenctor of the bulb out - do not try to pull by the wire. The bulb and base is hooked on, but mostly by friction. Be gentle when handling the who connector as the plastic might have aged and may be very brittle, especially in breaking the retaining clip.

4) Rotate bulb slightly to unhook it from the connector and viola! Remember to file off one pin from the Polargs to make it fit. Reverse the above to reassemble.

Fogs:

This is a little more tricky.

1) You will need to get under ur bumper or do it by feel as the access is below the fogs. As a first timer, I would suggest raising the car, or more conveniently. run the side you are doing up a pavement.

2) You will see on each corner below the bumper a black plastic screw-looking thing that operates the lock to the cover of the fogs. You can use a coin or the flat side of key to rotate it. This frees the trap door to the fogs - once you see it for yourself, I'm sure you'll figure out which direction to turn it.

3) Pull the wire connector off the bulb. You will also see a bent piece of wire holding the H1 bulb in place, unhook it and swing it out of the way of the bulb. Take bulb out and replace. Reverse everything.

REMEMBER NOT TO TOUCH THE LENSE OF THE BULB.

Last edited by Whitey; 07-27-2005 at 01:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lights bulb questions