E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

ARGH! Burning plastic smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
ARGH! Burning plastic smell

Today, I was picking up someone at the airport. When I got out of my car to help him with his luggage, I smelled a plastic or rubber burning smell from my car. I was worried something rubbing it. As soon as I got the gas station to fill her up, I thought maybe my tire are overheating, i check them and nothing. Later today, when I got home, as I was walking away from my car I see something sticking out under the carriage, I looked and got under and a stupid plastic bag or something stuck on my catylic converter melting. UGH, so I pulled it off, so much for stupid people litter and road debris get caught on my exhaust. Ever feel that way when you're driving and there's debris flying towards you that you had to make sort of an "emergency" manvuear. Anyways back to the situation, there was some residual plastic melted on the exhaust, should i worry about it, since I don't know to get it off or will it go away over time as far as I'm concern about the smell of melting plastic?
Old 04-16-2005, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
When the car is cold see if you can scrub it off with some dishwashing soap or some car wash. I wouldnt worry too much about it. At least you found out what the problem was exactly.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Had that happen to my bimmer before. If you don't remove the residual, the smell will persist until perhaps its all "burnt out" - which may be quite a long time. Its really up to whether you can bear the smell of the toxic fumes of the burnign plastic
Old 04-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Something similar happened to me the first week I bought my car. I was driving behind a truck which had a bunch of garbage bags filled with grass, I guess the person was a landscaper. One of the bags fell off and got stuck under my car. I stopped and removed the bag and drove home. I couldnt get all the plastic off the underneath so I let it burn off, it took about a week.