E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

iPod Installed in W210 - Clean, easy and functional.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb iPod Installed in W210 - Clean, easy and functional.

Below is an animated picture of the iPod installed in my wifes W210.

I used an iPod hard case from Contour Designs (http://www.contourdes********/showcase/index.htm) and a cell phone mount attached to the back. Round button that fits into mount on dash (see pic)

I also used the MP3 adapter from (http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=MP3+Adapter) and a simple 3.5mm stereo plug to provide perfect sound quality. The cable was purchased at (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item=SP-SPSC-5), features right angles and gold plated connections.

A quick note: I'm pretty sure that your W210 must have the BOSE premium stereo option (code 810) from the factory installed or this won't work as I understand it.

My legal disclaimer for this is; "Don't use the iPod controls while driving, this could result in an accident". Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails iPod Installed in W210 - Clean, easy and functional.-w210-ipod-mount.gif  

Last edited by MB Tech - USA; 05-20-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I think you can press skip song safely. Why don't you buy ice link to integrate it with your car stere and be able to operate it using steering wheel controls. BTW Do you know about any MB plans to provide iPod adapters to older cars?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey Dema,

That ICE system costs about double and you lose your CD player along the way. Also, it's easy to take the iPod with you into work when it's on the dash. Also, the ICE system did not seem to provide as much information as the iPod screen does and, there is no provision to operate the iPod from the factory steering wheel controls.

My early 210 (pre1998) does not have any steering wheel controls - bummer.

As far as I know, MBZ is not planning on supporting anything older than 2005 for iPod usage.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Very neat and very similar to what I have done - great position to have the ipod IMO. But, why couldn't you just use one of those adjustible phone holders to hold it in place? Also, just curious as to what that brownish/orangy thing sticking out of the base of the holder (pic with Ipod off)? thx
Old 05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks.

This is what I had laying around the garage and it worked well. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by adjustable phone holder? The last pic is with the iPod removed, the brownish/orangy color is the gold from the connector on the end of the wire. (Just thought I would add a picture of the whole thing with the iPod removed)
Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by MB Tech - USA
Thanks.

This is what I had laying around the garage and it worked well. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by adjustable phone holder? The last pic is with the iPod removed, the brownish/orangy color is the gold from the connector on the end of the wire. (Just thought I would add a picture of the whole thing with the iPod removed)
Now that u mention it, I see the connector...looked like some wire was coming out of the black round thing in the middle.

Here's my setup with the (stick-on) phone holder I'd mentioned (also had it for my phone before I got the Ipod)...off and on (I use an aux adaptor for my Sony aftermarket head unit). Admittedly, I think it only grips better inside the holder because I have a one of those Ipod skins.

As for the cable, I chose to run it out of the side of the center console so that I can just drop it beside the seat, out of sight when i dont use the ipod.
Attached Thumbnails iPod Installed in W210 - Clean, easy and functional.-smlcimg0048.jpg   iPod Installed in W210 - Clean, easy and functional.-smlcimg0027.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 05-20-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Almost a Member!

I am also using a cell phone holder, but just the small connector type. I got the holder to stiffen up by putting a rubber o-ring around the mount, this keeps the iPod from moving when you adjust the volume or select a song. I ran the wire behind the wood and just let it sit there when not using the iPod.

If my factory radio had an aux port, that would have saved me some $$$. But it works.

Looks good.