E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bilstein w/ stock shocks, better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein w/ stock shocks, better?

Currently with the number 1 pads, i feel the car's stance is perfect and that I do not need to go any lower. But although the stance is good, the handling is still like a 'boat', heh. I heard some people mention they threw on some bilstein HD shocks and it really helped with the handling, i'm wondering how this combo with work.

With my 19s the ride quality did suffer a bit so I do not want the car to really get any stiffer than what it is now, that is partly the reason why I do not want to get lowering springs and also because i don't want to get the camber kits for the front and back.

So for those who have have added on bilsteins struts/shocks to stock springs, how was the result in terms of ride quality and firmness. Was it really worth it in the handling department, better around the corners?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
What are these caster/camber kits for? I was going a bit lower to handle the shorter Bilstein SP. Do I need additional parts?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the rear especially need a caster/camber kit because it will be really towed in, the fronts i heard there is some correction bolts or something that helps with this issue...
Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by GT23
Currently with the number 1 pads, i feel the car's stance is perfect and that I do not need to go any lower. But although the stance is good, the handling is still like a 'boat', heh. I heard some people mention they threw on some bilstein HD shocks and it really helped with the handling, i'm wondering how this combo with work.

With my 19s the ride quality did suffer a bit so I do not want the car to really get any stiffer than what it is now, that is partly the reason why I do not want to get lowering springs and also because i don't want to get the camber kits for the front and back.

So for those who have have added on bilsteins struts/shocks to stock springs, how was the result in terms of ride quality and firmness. Was it really worth it in the handling department, better around the corners?

If You want the car to Handle better without the ride going away...Install a set of AMG E55 Sway Bars..I Did and its a LOT better!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by GT23
the rear especially need a caster/camber kit because it will be really towed in, the fronts i heard there is some correction bolts or something that helps with this issue...

When You Lower the car it Goes NEGATIVE CAMBER..

Several Shops make Camber Bars..Do a Search..Speedy Benz and HOP make them!..I Have Them and they Do in Fact Work Great!

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 06-16-2005 at 05:07 PM.