E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Suspension/Rubbing issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Suspension/Rubbing issues

Hi All,

I am having some weird issues with my current setup.

I have the following tires/wheels setup:

ASA ST4's 18x8 all around.
Wheel Offset: +37mm
Tire Size: Goodyear Fi GSD3's 235/40-18 all around.

Suspension Setup:

Kleemann speed sensitive shocks/springs, with #3 pads all around. I have a 1/2 finger gap up front and probably a 3 finger gap in the rear.

The issues I am having:

1. I experience rubbing on my front wheels especially when turning left or right up a slope. Going straight up a slope is ok. I am thinking of going #5 pads up front to fix.

2. ESP lights blinking more than normal when turning left or right or making a u-turn from a complete stop. This only happens when acclerating a little hard and not at normal speeds. This issue is weird since the car basically feels unstable. The lights were also blinking when acclerating straight from a complete stop.

I spoke to Kleemann about problem #2 and they think it might be the wheel speed sensors that are not connected or faulty. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the yaw rate sensor. This helped a bit but only with the straight accelerating.

I would appreicate any help/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sbarsap; 06-29-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Sounds like you already know the fix for #1.

For #2, you're camber maybe off with the lowering, affecting traction (i.e. tire not in full contact with the road). Either locate some camber rods and/or raise the rear a little higher with pads. 235's may also be too narrow since your's is a 430 - previously I had similar problems on 265's and my engine is definitely less powerful - try the widest possible tire on an 8" wheel when its time for your next tire change.

Last edited by Whitey; 06-29-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Originally Posted by Whitey
Sounds like you already know the fix for #1.

For #2, you're camber maybe off with the lowering, affecting traction (i.e. tire not in full contact with the road). Either locate some camber rods and/or raise the rear a little higher with pads. 235's may also be too narrow since your's is a 430 - previously I had similar problems on 265's and my engine is definitely less powerful - try the widest possible tire on an 8" wheel when its time for your next tire change.

Whitey, you always give good advice, I wish I had the knowledge you had.

Quick questions, what size tires should I get the next time for the rears?

And are camber rods are the same as the camber kit that people refer to on this forum? The reason I ask is after I had the suspension installed I also got an alignment. The guy who did the alignment told me I would need a camber kit, I think he said camber kit but could be wrong. But anyways he said I needed three of them and they looked like thick screws. Is this the same thing you are talking about.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by sbarsap
Whitey, you always give good advice, I wish I had the knowledge you had.

Quick questions, what size tires should I get the next time for the rears?

And are camber rods are the same as the camber kit that people refer to on this forum? The reason I ask is after I had the suspension installed I also got an alignment. The guy who did the alignment told me I would need a camber kit, I think he said camber kit but could be wrong. But anyways he said I needed three of them and they looked like thick screws. Is this the same thing you are talking about.

Thanks again.
Yeah my bad, camber kit is the proper term.

When my rears were too low I had the same problem but I'd raise it with an EXTRA half a pad. If you say your's still has 3 fingers, I guess you shouldnt be going any higher but when my rears were set very low after the spring change, much lower than the front and US spec cars (I've been told our cars' rear spring housing come in different heights depending on the country they were made for...weird but I can now attest to that...), I had to add an extra half pad on top of my #4's to get it to look balanced with the fronts...that fixed the camber and the loss in traction. In your case I would say a camber kit if you can get it.

As for the tire size, I havent got my tire size calculator thingy with me right now to work out the correct one (tyring to max it out) but will try to figure it out when I return home this weekend....