E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

oily, chocolate milk colored engine coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oily, chocolate milk colored engine coolant

After driving my 98' E430, I opened up the hood to let the engine cool. Saw the entire coolant reservoir covered with an oily light brown chocolate milk colored liquid and it was seeping out from under the reservoir cap. Opened the cap and found out all the coolant has turned into this oily brown liquid.

Checked the engine oil and it looked fine, so I guess its not the engine oil that is mixing with the coolant. The coolant kinda smells/looks like it has been mixed with transmission fluid. How is this possible? I know the transmission fluid has a cooler attached to the radiator, but since it seems the radiator and tranny oil cooler are two separate items attached to one another, I would think it would be impossible for the two fluids to mix.

Anyone have any info about this?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
coolant is cooling the transmission fluid.If your trans has antifreeze in it get it done asap. Antifreeze will destroy your trans very quickly.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, would you know what has to be fixed / replaced? What went wrong to cause this?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
trans cooler is usually incorporated into the radiator, take a closer look at the lines coming from the trans they will be entering the radiator,they are the trans cooler lines.Replace the radiator and flush the transmission try to n otice what is coming out if you see a lot of small dark particles than that means friction discs are damaged -severe problem ,rebuild the trans.If luck is on your side you might catch it in time to prevent the severe damage.