E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brembo Drilled and Axxis Ultimates Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Brembo Drilled and Axxis Ultimates Installed

Hi All,

I had the Brembo Drilled rotors (from Brake World) and Axxis Ultimate pads installed three weeks back. I find that the front brake noise has gotten louder every week. It sounds like sandpaper rubbing when I am stopping at slow speeds and at high speeds I feel a very slight vibration and also a weird noise. It squeels occasionally too. Is this normal during a break in period or do you think the installer did something wrong or the parts are defective?
I provided the shop all the extras (paste, sensors,screws, etc).
I know of others with a similar setup that haven't had any issues.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Brembo Drilled and Axxis Ultimates Installed-brembos.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 4 Matic 174,000 miles
I have an 01 E320 4Matic and I'm extremely picky about the way it drives. I've tried numerous combinations of pad and rotors. I've done all of the brake work myself. Zimmerman crossdrilled, Ate slotted, Powerslots from The Tire Rack, ect, The problem (for me) with the drilled or slotted rotors are, the noise and you do get vibration on your brake pedal. (normal) I also never had any better luck with them not warping over the smoothe type. I live in Las Vegas where it gets extremely hot so you have to be very careful with your rotors here. I also tried many different pad types. I finally found a combination that stops very smoothly and with no noise or dust. I bought the rotors from www.autohausaz.com (front Zimmermans, Rear Ate, both smooth type) and Axxis delux plus pads from a local parts house. My Benz now feels and stops like a brand new car (90,000 mi on it) with no dust. I hope this helps someone. Just mu experience
Old 08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Nice lookin rotors! I've installed slotted Brembos with regular pads (reused from the old setup) and they squealled intially but after a while (short while), after the pads have formed themselves over the rotors, they've become real quiet and work perfectly. The vibration sure doesn't seem not normal.

Are these factory drilled rotors or drilled afterwards? If the latter, that could be your problem..........

Last edited by Whitey; 08-15-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Man those rotors look so nice!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey
Nice lookin rotors! I've installed slotted Brembos with regular pads (reused from the old setup) and they squealled intially but after a while (short while), after the pads have formed themselves over the rotors, they've become real quiet and work perfectly. The vibration sure doesn't seem not normal.

Are these factory drilled rotors or drilled afterwards? If the latter, that could be your problem..........

These are factory drilled and are from Brembo Italy not like the others who sell them from the Brembo factory in Mexico and a more of a goldish color.
JimE430 also bought the same ones:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/107951-christmas-came-early.html

I had the rears done first, since the front rotor size I ordered was wrong, and did not have no noise issue. After a couple of weeks I had the fronts done and started experienceing noise. So I am concluding that the fronts are the issue.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by sbarsap
Hi All,

I had the Brembo Drilled rotors (from Brake World) and Axxis Ultimate pads installed three weeks back. I find that the front brake noise has gotten louder every week. It sounds like sandpaper rubbing when I am stopping at slow speeds and at high speeds I feel a very slight vibration and also a weird noise. It squeels occasionally too. Is this normal during a break in period or do you think the installer did something wrong or the parts are defective?
I provided the shop all the extras (paste, sensors,screws, etc).
I know of others with a similar setup that haven't had any issues.

Thanks for any help.
I had the Brembo sport/drilled rotors and Axxis pads on the E430 a few years back and do recall during pad bed-in procedure there was a slight noise, but eventually went away. If you haven't already, add the SS brakelines and some good brake fluid like Motul to complement your new hardware.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 PM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
I have the drilled Brembo rotors front and rear with the Axxis Deluxe PLUS pads. Got about 5,000 miles on them with absolutely no noise, ever. My guess is they were not broken in correctly. Also, not sure about those Axxis Ultimate pads for the street.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyE430
I have the drilled Brembo rotors front and rear with the Axxis Deluxe PLUS pads. Got about 5,000 miles on them with absolutely no noise, ever. My guess is they were not broken in correctly. Also, not sure about those Axxis Ultimate pads for the street.

Hey Mikey,

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking the same thing about the wrong break in as I checked the rotors for warpage they seem ok.
Do you know how to rectify this?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 AM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
SBARSAP:

My guess is if the rotors are not glazed or warped, to replace the pads (get a more street-worthy pad, unless you are tracking the car) and this time break them in properly. Also, be sure to put some good quality lube on the back of the pads when installing. This prevents noise.

There are several schools of thought on pad break in. Check StopTech's Web site or do a Google search for more info. Good Luck!

Last edited by MikeyE430; 08-24-2005 at 10:54 AM.