E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Storing a W210 for the winter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing a W210 for the winter...

I have a trickle charger (made by Porsche) that I've used before when storing a car over the long winters here in New England. I tried using it with my '98 W210 last winter and found that some of the dashboard indicators (like the odometer) stayed lit while the battery charger was plugged in. Given the complexity of the electrical system and the cost of having to fix what I might break, I ended up just putting the charger away and instead started the engine once and month in the garage and let it run for 20 mins to get it up to temperature. So my questions are:
- Is it possible for me to use a trickle charger with the W210 and, if so, what am I doing wrong? (I don't like the idea of the dashboard indicators staying lit for the entire winter... ;-)
- If you were storing a car from November-April, would you start the engine once a month or would you just let it sit and start it in the spring?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ron
Old 11-15-2005, 04:17 PM

disconnect the battery during storage
Old 11-16-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
I was looking thru a maint tips book at Barnes and Noble tonight and they said storing a car is horrible for it. Long periods of time sitting idle in very cold weather can dry up the engine, cylinder sleves, seals, gaskets, transmission,etc. Said you can easily lock up the engine when you start it up in the spring from having no fluids or lubricants for such a long time. Said if possible use an enging block heater or heat your garage. Best bet is if possible, to drive it several times a week long enough to fully heat up the engine and lubricate parts.

I'm in the same boat as you are. Bought my E320 just for pleasure use as an extra car. You can bet I'll be driving this thing a few days a week this winter.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 PM

RonR - I've a better solution. Put away that silly trickle charger and allow me to store it in one bay of my 4 car garage. I will not charge you anything for storage but a simple pleasure of driving it once a week for a small 75 mile roundtrip. I'm very clean and neat and will be totally responsible for all activities with said vehicle. You can't beat the weather out here, it barely freezes and I will only drive it on sunny days.

See, it's a win/win situation.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. PHXATC: Although I appreciate your gracious offer, I have to admit the the feeling of getting to drive the car that first spring day after all the salt on the roads are gone is an experience not soon forgotten... https://mbworld.org/forums/newreply....e=1&p=1352983#
drive

I've actually been storing different vehicles here in New England for the last 15 years and haven't run into many problems, short term or long term. What I would do:
- top off the gas tank (minimize corrosion in the gas tank)
- inflate all the tires up to their max cold pressure rating (minimize flat spotting)
- plug in the trickle charger
- turn off the inside dome light, open all doors, and then close them till the latch first catches (supposedly to minimize damage to the door seals...)
- not start the engine at all for the entire winter (someone recommend pulling the main wire from the coil and cranking the engine for maybe 10 secs to minimize scoring on the cylinder walls from the lack of oil pressure, but haven't done that)

So at this point I will definitely be storing the car; it's just a question of how to handle the fact that the electrical system doesn't like trickle charging. Maybe I should just pull the negative wire off the battery and charge the battery by itself?

Thanks,
Ron