E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

help changing spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
help changing spark plugs?

Hi all. I've been a long time lurker here but this is my first post.

I'm attempting to change the spark plugs on my 2001 E320 and have been reading up on the procedure both on this and other message boards. Unfortunately, I can't find any pictorial DIY's for the procedure, so I'm going to take pictures along the way and do a writeup when I'm done (I already have tranny fluid changes and a rear window regulator writeup pending).

Can someone tell me if I'm off base here? the pictures I have attached are of the coilpacks on the passenger side of the engine, and I believe the ignition wires. Now, I assume at the end of the ignition wire as it extends from the coil pack down to the engine, is the spark plug? At the end of the wire is a metal boot. Do I now remove that? What's the best way?

Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.
Attached Thumbnails help changing spark plugs?-coilpacks-small.jpg   help changing spark plugs?-ignition_wires_small.jpg  
Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 E320
i think MB or someone... makes a spark plug boot removal tool… now i've never done it but from what i've read, all you do is just rotate the silver cover to free boot and pull to remove - do not pull on wire..!!

sounds good on paper

~ Mr. B ~
Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Just about every reputable tool manufacturer makes spark plug wire pliers, if you can get them into the tight areas use them as much as possible.Just like MR B said the metal sleave must be twisted before you start pulling on the boot and that's when the spark plug wire pliers come in use them to twist the spark plug boot before you pull on them . On my 210 I had to fight for a while but they came off.To gain more room try to remove the coil packs this way you can use your pliers,because most of the pliers are bent in a certain angle.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 E320
Yep… here’s a couple of pics, so ya get an idea of what you’ll need… they run under $10 at most tool supply stores…

sparkplug boot puller pliers... offset or straight..!!
Attached Thumbnails help changing spark plugs?-spark-plug-pullers.jpg   help changing spark plugs?-spark-plug-pullers-2.jpg