E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Sunroof cable keeps breaking!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof cable keeps breaking!

New guy here. Hope I have the right place for this car question.

My wife has a '95 E320 wagon with 70K miles and the sunroof cable has broken twice in the past two months, all covered under warranty until now. The only dealer in town says they will not repair it again, as they say the sunroof frame must be broken or bent, causing the problem and that part is not covered under warranty. The car has never been wrecked so that rules out that variable.

How can they say the frame is bent or broken w/o removing the sunroof? She met with a Regional Service and Parts Manager today and they said sorry, can't even look at it unless she pays to remove the sunroof and see what's wrong. She advised them that if she did go that route, that I would like to be there when it's done so I can see for myself what's going on (I've been working on cars for 25 years and do all my own work on my '87 Porsche 911 Turbo track car). They refused the request saying I could watch from the door due to liability issues. I might as well use a telescope from my house!

Our wrench who owns his own shop and works on her car for routine maintenance (and used to work at the dealership in question) says there's no way the frame could be broken or bent unless the car was in an accident. We asked him to look at it, but he said that would void the warranty and advised against it.

Sorry for the long winded story, but does anybody have any idea why the cable would keep breaking? Incompetent repair work, trash, broken parts, etc.?

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-15-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
CALL MBUSA and Talk to Customer service...Any Dealer Warranty./repairs are Covered for One Year! And Have them fix It Right this time!The dealer is Just Trying to blow you off...FIGHT BACK!