E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E430 2002 Special Edition (778?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Question E430 2002 Special Edition (778?)

Hello friends,

I have located the above-mentioned M-B, and other than 'special' wheels, the salesman did not know what this SE package included. I think he also mentioned an unusual wood, and the interior color(s).

I would like to test drive this vehicle, but it is several hundred miles away from here, and the photos that were sent are less than ideal.

Could someone please tell me what this package included?

I tried the search feature here, and looked at all of the subject titles, before starting this thread. I apologize in advance if this is issue a dead horse that I'm trying to bring back from the grave

Thanks in advance,

Musikmann
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E550
I believe this car had the birds eye maple (dark wood) , 17" wheels from the sport package and the interior color was a tan color. I think that may be it, I remember some were metallic black exterior. Hope that helps. You can call MB and they can confirm
Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I have one in the garage, the 2002 W210 Special Edition is a very nice and rare vehicle indeed.

The special edition package includes the following at no additional cost to the original base price of the E Class.

1. Sunroof
2. Bose Audio System (no CD or CD changer)
3. Obsidian Black paint with oyster leather interior OR brilliant silver paint with ash interior, both are metallics. These are the only two colour choices and they cannot be crossed.
4. Unique 17 inch wheels, not exactly the same ones from the sport package.
5. Black Birdseye Maple wood.

I believe that's about it.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile To:Y2KE320

Originally Posted by Y2KE320
I believe this car had the birds eye maple (dark wood) , 17" wheels from the sport package and the interior color was a tan color. I think that may be it, I remember some were metallic black exterior. Hope that helps. You can call MB and they can confirm
Thank you Y2KE320,

From the sub-standard pics they sent, the wood trim DID seem to be of a dark nature. The wheel pic was pretty clear, and they looked nice to me (5-hole). I'm taking your word for the 17" - fine by me too.

The salesman did say that the interior was Oyster, but it looks more like Stone to me. Also, it has the Obsidian Black finish, at least according to that same saleman. We'll see what they say about my trade-in value.

Musikmann
Old 05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile To: Patrick_Y

Originally Posted by patrick_y
I have one in the garage, the 2002 W210 Special Edition is a very nice and rare vehicle indeed.

The special edition package includes the following at no additional cost to the original base price of the E Class.

1. Sunroof
2. Bose Audio System (no CD or CD changer)
3. Obsidian Black paint with oyster leather interior OR brilliant silver paint with ash interior, both are metallics. These are the only two colour choices and they cannot be crossed.
4. Unique 17 inch wheels, not exactly the same ones from the sport package.
5. Black Birdseye Maple wood.

I believe that's about it.
Hi Patrick_Y,

Sopunds pretty good here, and thanks for the feedback. I have a CD-changer in my 98 E430 but rarely use it (I'm addicted to National Public Radio, but that's another issue entirely).

As I responded earlier, the interior wood trim appears 'blackish' from the photos, sunroof is not an issue since I have one and rarely have it open (hehe - that's the FIRST thing the girlfriend does when she gets in the car, weather permitting).

Bose is fine (have one now) and the wheels are attractive, in my humble opinion. Seems like the wheels are 17" x 7.5" but mine are only 7" so that's a nice feature too.

I also like the fact that this is a 'rare bird' among these fine Daimler automobiles.

Thanks for the reply,
Musikmann
Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Hi Patrick_Y,

Sopunds pretty good here, and thanks for the feedback. I have a CD-changer in my 98 E430 but rarely use it (I'm addicted to National Public Radio, but that's another issue entirely).

As I responded earlier, the interior wood trim appears 'blackish' from the photos, sunroof is not an issue since I have one and rarely have it open (hehe - that's the FIRST thing the girlfriend does when she gets in the car, weather permitting).

Bose is fine (have one now) and the wheels are attractive, in my humble opinion. Seems like the wheels are 17" x 7.5" but mine are only 7" so that's a nice feature too.

I also like the fact that this is a 'rare bird' among these fine Daimler automobiles.

Thanks for the reply,
Musikmann
Believe it or not, the E320 in my garage does not have a CD player AT ALL. Didn't bother to install one either. Can't stand limiting myself to just the radio.

The Bose stero system as I'm sure you know is mediocre. It's liveable. However, for the true audiophile, it's not the best.

I agree, sunroof is totally useless. In fact, taht's what I love about the Maserati Quattroporte, no sunroof.

The wheels are actually 17x8. The E430's whels from 2000 onwards are 17x7.5.

The car is a very good car. Also, when you're in a parking lot filled with black E Classes, it's very easy to spot out which one your car is because of the different wheels. However, I get overconfident and whenever I see someone else with the same wheels, I assume that my car was stolen.

Mercedes' Oyster and Stone sometimes looks similiar depending on the vehicle. For example; the Oyster on the 2002 S500 and the Oyster on the 2002 E320 was completely different. The S500's was much warmer in colour with a hint of yellow when the E320's was more gray.

The Stone is much more yellow than any Oyster I've seen.

Caution about the Obsidian Black paint. I have numerous friends with S500s in the same colour, as well as my own E is finished in this Obsidian Black. This car gets car wash swirl marks very easily. Just a warning.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E420 90 300E
Pics anyone??
Old 05-08-2006, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Sorry, don't have pics of my car. I don't have pics of either Mercedes cars.

I do have pics of the last group meet with my C Class in it, but that doesn't help.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 AM
RTR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E320 Special Edition
The 2002 E-320 came silver or obsidian black. I have a 2002 SE E-320 obsidian black has the oyster interior (the dash is beige). In addition to the Bose, sunroof heated seats, rain sensing washers, 17" wheels the SE has the black birdseye wood (used on AMGs). The SE oyster upholstry trim (the piping) is a darker color than the upholstry seating surfaces which is different than the standard E, also the SE came with special floor mats . If you need more detail I still have the window sticker and can post info.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To: Patrick_Y

Originally Posted by patrick_y
Believe it or not, the E320 in my garage does not have a CD player AT ALL. Didn't bother to install one either. Can't stand limiting myself to just the radio.

The Bose stero system as I'm sure you know is mediocre. It's liveable. However, for the true audiophile, it's not the best.

I agree, sunroof is totally useless. In fact, taht's what I love about the Maserati Quattroporte, no sunroof.

The wheels are actually 17x8. The E430's whels from 2000 onwards are 17x7.5.

The car is a very good car. Also, when you're in a parking lot filled with black E Classes, it's very easy to spot out which one your car is because of the different wheels. However, I get overconfident and whenever I see someone else with the same wheels, I assume that my car was stolen.

Mercedes' Oyster and Stone sometimes looks similiar depending on the vehicle. For example; the Oyster on the 2002 S500 and the Oyster on the 2002 E320 was completely different. The S500's was much warmer in colour with a hint of yellow when the E320's was more gray.

The Stone is much more yellow than any Oyster I've seen.

Caution about the Obsidian Black paint. I have numerous friends with S500s in the same colour, as well as my own E is finished in this Obsidian Black. This car gets car wash swirl marks very easily. Just a warning.
Hello again Patrick,

I don't consider myself a TRUE audiophile, but at the same time, don't have anything at home with the Bose name on it (McIntosh electronics, Thorens and B&O turntables, Magnavox CD player - made in Belgium so I call it my Philips, and Polk Audio SDA speakers. I have noticed that M-B also uses Harmon-Karden, but I'm not convinced those are 'audiophile quality' units either.

Aha! 17" x 8" lets us put some SERIOUS rubber on the road - I like that. The 8" I think were part of one, or more, of the sports packages.

I'm now totally confused about Oyster vs. Stone, but those pics they sent look more 'grayish' to me than anything.

Thanks for the warning about the Obsidian black too. Even now, I'll only wash the car by hand, or take it through a touch-free automatic car wash because I HATE swirl marks!

Cheers and thanks again for the helpful info,
Musikmann
Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To: RTR

Originally Posted by RTR
The 2002 E-320 came silver or obsidian black. I have a 2002 SE E-320 obsidian black has the oyster interior (the dash is beige). In addition to the Bose, sunroof heated seats, rain sensing washers, 17" wheels the SE has the black birdseye wood (used on AMGs). The SE oyster upholstry trim (the piping) is a darker color than the upholstry seating surfaces which is different than the standard E, also the SE came with special floor mats . If you need more detail I still have the window sticker and can post info.
Hi RTR,

That sounds a little odd that Daimler would mix/match the oyster with beige, but who am I to judge? My "Smoke Silver" '98 has what I'd call beige/tan but you know the old joke: To guys, peach is a fruit, not a color, and we don't have the vaguest idea what taupe and mauve are. Colud Daimler possibly have women choosing and naming their colors?

I forgot to mention that it does have dual heated front seats (I could make out the icons on the 2 dashboard switches in the photos). Girlfriend liked the sound of that - personally, give ME the seats with the several little fans in them to cool us guys off! These were probably not even available in the 2002 - E models.

The rain sensing washers sound good, but can you manually control those as well? One complaint I have about the '98 I have is that the intermittant wipers have only 2 speeds. Heck, my older Toyota and Plymouth have better variable speeds than this Benz

Anything that they use on the AMGs sounds nice too. Is the birdseye wood maple, by the way?

Thanks for the offer of the window sticker, but it looks like you pretty much summed up the features for me here.

One final comment, have you noticed that MBUSA.com doesn't even show an E430 for the 2002 model year? I've seen several offered for sale, but that makes me wonder if these were considered 2001 1/2?

Cheers and thanks much for the info,
Musikmann
Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry RTR, forget about my "Is the birdeye wood maple?" question. I see that was already answered.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 AM

'02 E430 SE, '02 Avalanche Z66, '06 R-350
I have a picture of my 02 SE but don't know how to post it

I love this car.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Last edited by f-rod; 05-08-2006 at 10:51 AM. Reason: inserting picture
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lightbulb Hi f-rod

Originally Posted by f-rod
I have a picture of my 02 SE but don't know how to post it

I love this car.
I'd like to see your car if you get the pics posted. For what it's worth, the pics I have of my E430 were too large, and that's why I couldn't get them on here. I never bothered to try and shrink them, and right now, I can't remember how many kbs you have to stay beneath before they will be accepted.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Hello again Patrick,

I don't consider myself a TRUE audiophile, but at the same time, don't have anything at home with the Bose name on it (McIntosh electronics, Thorens and B&O turntables, Magnavox CD player - made in Belgium so I call it my Philips, and Polk Audio SDA speakers. I have noticed that M-B also uses Harmon-Karden, but I'm not convinced those are 'audiophile quality' units either.

Aha! 17" x 8" lets us put some SERIOUS rubber on the road - I like that. The 8" I think were part of one, or more, of the sports packages.

I'm now totally confused about Oyster vs. Stone, but those pics they sent look more 'grayish' to me than anything.

Thanks for the warning about the Obsidian black too. Even now, I'll only wash the car by hand, or take it through a touch-free automatic car wash because I HATE swirl marks!

Cheers and thanks again for the helpful info,
Musikmann
Actually, I like my HK audio system more than the Bose system in the E.

I'm convinced that the HK is better.

YES, IT DOES HAVE RAIN SENSOR. THAT'S WHAT I MISSED. The rain sensor works fairly well. No complaints.

It is black birdseye maple on the wood. Straight from the E55 parts bin. At first, I didn't like the wood, but then, since it's rare and unique, I decided that I would appreciate it more. During the normal days, it looks just black. however, on a sunny day, and if you open the moonroof, you can get a glimpse of the beautiful vertical pattern on the wood. Have to see it to appreciate it. It's more of a vertical pattern.

Oyster in the S Class is grayish beige.
Oyster in the E Class is light gray.
Ash in both E and S Class is a bluish gray that's a bit darker than the Oyster.

The active ventilated seats on the E class were available for the 2001 and 2002 model years. It's very rare that you should see them. I've only seen one E320 with them and I've seen two E55s with them. This is the one with the little fans in the seats.

The MBUSA website does show the E430, but it's listed under the E320 Wagon. But if you click on E320 wagon, it gives you the details about the E430 instead.

I say that it's the best W210 E Class, the special edition and the 2002 E55. Absolutely love it. It's almost like getting a designo model, but then you don't have to pay for it.

Another thing, RTR is right, it comes with special floormats (different colour for the edging) and it has a different piping colour. Very nice contrast.

Makes me wish my C230 Kompressor was a special model too, unfortunately it's not. It's more run of the mill.

Also, expect the W210s to last a long time, mechanically. Although the MAF will fail every few years. If you can, get the certified pre-owned warranty or an extended warranty through Mercedes-Benz.

I see you drive an E430, the difference is not entirely noticeable between the E320 and the E430. However, one thing you will notice. You don't have to push the brakes as hard on the E320 to keep it stopped at a traffic light.

However, say you're at a traffic light, the Freeway onramp is coming up right after the intersection and you're in a bad lane. In an E430, when the light turns green, you push a bit harder on the gas and the tires spin out and you are catapulted into the intersection. The E320 rarely spins out even in first gear on dry asphalt. It's very difficult to spin out the tires in this car (at least it is with the 17x8 wheels and 235/45 tires).

The car is also very fuel efficient. The E430 owners I know average about 20 mpg. We average anywhere from 22-25 mpg. Recently, the E320 even averaged better than my C230. The C230 and E320 were both filled up on the same weekend. The E got 24.8 mpg and the C got 23.8 mpg.

Top gear acceleration on the E320 is very sufficient. The E320 is very similiar to the E430 in every way, very slightly less powerful, in fact, you hardly notice the difference.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down To: Patrick_Y

WOW!

Thank you Patrick for so much information.

I want this car, but as an update, the !@#$ dealer has not called me back after I troubled all of you guys for info that the salesman should have given me in the first place. As I stated earlier, the pics they sent were sub-standard and the info he gave me was sparse.

Additionally, they happened to have a nifty page where you can give them your info on the car you plan to use as a trade-in. The salesman and I talked on the phone Saturday, I emailed him telling him that I was filling out that form, and to please be on the look-out.

Now, it is Monday evening, they have not gotten back to me, and I am rather POed.

I'm giving these guys another 24 hours to respond, in some fashion, and if they don't, I'll post a "thunbs down" on this dealership on here.

Again, thank you for your input,

Musikmann
Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 AM

I think I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
My Benz.bmp (791.1 KB, 2152 views)
Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up To: f_rod

Nice picture and really nice auto there f_rod! I'll have a look at benzworld.org too (didn't know that existed).

Those wheels really set everything off; from that angle, especially what looks like their irridium or brilliant silver paint.

Thanks very much,

Musikmann

Last edited by Musikmann; 05-09-2006 at 08:54 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word
Old 05-19-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down Follow-up to E430 2002 SE

Hello Friends,

I just wanted to thank everyone again for the answers to my questions.

As it turned out, this car has had rear-end damage that was severe enough to have cracked some area of the spare tire well.

I do not want a car that I know has been in any collision, so I passed on it.

Regards,

Musikmann