E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

$10 modification, you all can do it~~~~~~~~~~~

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Whitey, did you use LED's for the courtesy lights under the doors??
yep
Old 05-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 e420
wait so for this job there isnt any soldering neccessary right? cause i suck at it
Old 05-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by gujupimpster89@
wait so for this job there isnt any soldering neccessary right? cause i suck at it
buddy, you should read through them..
haha..nah....just look at the pic I provided
Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 AM

97 e420
lol, mt bad, thankx man
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
My concern is the heat these may produce. The resister will produce heat as it is working, how warm does it get? Some of these resisters may get very hot and cause damage!!

No questio nI'm gonna try this out. If this valu resister works then it should work for other lamps in the car as well. I want this for my city lights as I have an LED in there, amber in color that gives me that message
Old 05-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by michakaveli
My concern is the heat these may produce. The resister will produce heat as it is working, how warm does it get? Some of these resisters may get very hot and cause damage!!

No questio nI'm gonna try this out. If this valu resister works then it should work for other lamps in the car as well. I want this for my city lights as I have an LED in there, amber in color that gives me that message
The reason I recommend this particular resistor is because it is sealed w/ ceramic. It will dissapate heat evenly via the ceramic pores. At 1.44W, It is actually cool to touch.
(and I don't think resistor cost $1 a piece is "value" )

It also able substant temperature between -55C to 70 C at 350V max. (well...we are only using 12V)

p.s. On the other hand, I don't know how fast your High beam bulb will heat up when in use, because LED bulb itself does NOT substance high heat.

Last edited by no_clue; 05-21-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by no_clue
The reason I recommend this particular resistor is because it is sealed w/ ceramic. It will dissapate heat evenly via the ceramic pores. At 1.44W, It is actually cool to touch.
OK, how long wa sit on for when you touched it. The longer they are on the warmer they get... I'm excited to do this to mine
Old 05-21-2006, 01:01 PM

OK, how long wa sit on for when you touched it. The longer they are on the warmer they get... I'm excited to do this to mine

Resistor generally reach it max heat tolerance with in 1~3 min. Higher the source voltage and higher the resistant cause more heat.

Think about it this way....
your OEM 5Watt festoon bulb can generate only so much heat, you can touch it w/out burning your finger and sit safely inside your housing.

This resistor only using 1.44Watt. YOu do the calculation.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by no_clue
Resistor generally reach it max heat tolerance with in 1~3 min. Higher the source voltage and higher the resistant cause more heat.

Think about it this way....
your OEM 5Watt festoon bulb can generate only so much heat, you can touch it w/out burning your finger and sit safely inside your housing.

This resistor only using 1.44Watt. YOu do the calculation.
Sweetness!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
That has been my concern too, the heat from the resistor melting the covers. Not sure about these but the resistors I used for down voltaging the car's voltage for my 3V LEDs in the footwells generate so much heat that it they will burn your fingers when touched - Ok, its probably an entirely different thing for down voltaging and a serial hookup but what do I know? lol......

Even if by any chance it does heat up substantially (not that I don't believe you no_clue, just assuming here without any experience with this set up), you can always solder two thin lengths of electrical wire to the two ends of the resistors, tie the wires to the plugs and stick the resistor against something that won't be prone to melting e.g. bodywork, away from the plastic casings.

Mich, I do have another option for having yellow cities...chang your plug to W5W bulbs and there will be yellow bulbs available. I have done it for my cities and I am finding much more options with colored bulbs...I've tried blue, yellow and now using a really white W5W bulb.

Last edited by Whitey; 05-21-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by Whitey
Mich, I do have another option for having yellow cities...chang your plug to W5W bulbs and there will be yellow bulbs available. I have done it for my cities and I am finding much more options with colored bulbs...I've tried blue, yellow and now using a really white W5W bulb.
The W5W "wedge" bulb socket properly fits the H6W for the city lights?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
The W5W "wedge" bulb socket properly fits the H6W for the city lights?
Nope, the best socket to use is a 94 R129 city light bulb plug (which is the wedge type W5W), fits snugly into the existing holes of the W210 city holes in the light...I have done this transplant on mine and my city lights haven't looked whiter, also tried some yellow ones and they are really yellow too - I just didn't like the combo so went with white
Old 05-21-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Nope, the right plug to use is a 94 R129 city light bulb plug (which is the wedge type W5W)...I have done this transplant on mine and my city lights haven't looked whiter, also tried some yellow ones and they are really yellow too
Whitey, you have a part #?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Whitey, you have a part #?
Sorry, according to the EPC they have replaced it a number of times and I actually ordered the one that was supposed to be available and they turned out to be a H6W one and was loose in the W210's lights...in the end I just picked them off my friend's R129 lights when he replaced his set with projectors... you'll probably need to find a wrecker or a kind person on the R129 forum who has changed his lights. There maybe sockets from other models using W5W wedge bulbs or maybe BMWs even that might fit in the hole...even if not, you can always wrap tape around it if it is too loose....good luck.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey guys, I'm Sunny from Sacramento Ca. No Clue u are not true to your name, great mod. I am excited to get this too. I was looking at another thread c class owners were changing out their lights to led on the rear licence plate. They complained of too much heat melting the plastic housing on their car.

Their supplier is http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Do you have any issues with too much heat generated by these bulbs?

I have a 2001 E430 sport.

The Godfather your headlights look cool. What did you do to the park light/High beam light?

The other thread I mentioned is https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=puddle+light

Thanks for your help.

Sunny
Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by sanjm23
Hey guys, I'm Sunny from Sacramento Ca. No Clue u are not true to your name, great mod. I am excited to get this too. I was looking at another thread c class owners were changing out their lights to led on the rear licence plate. They complained of too much heat melting the plastic housing on their car.

Their supplier is http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Do you have any issues with too much heat generated by these bulbs?

I have a 2001 E430 sport.

The Godfather your headlights look cool. What did you do to the park light/High beam light?

The other thread I mentioned is https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=puddle+light

Thanks for your help.

Sunny
Well on the pic I was rocking a 7500k HID kit and now I got an OEM kit, which I think is somewhere around 4-5k. It's brighter but not as pretty City lights are polarg superwhite/blue.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
just ordered some 42mm ones......too bad i'm not going to have a car to put them in yet, haahah
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S-550, 2001 E-430 & 1997 E-420
Thumbs up How to access the bulb on trunk?

No Clue, great thread. I got 2 W210. I am doing both. I have order 36mm.

Do you know how to reach to the bulb to replace? Do you go from trunk liner inside or you remove from outside 3 bolt and remove from outside?

Any information will be great. Remove the bulb from inside through trunk liner or outside by removing 3 bolts on top of lincense plate?
Attached Thumbnails  modification, you all can do it~~~~~~~~~~~-pic-001-edit.jpg  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by hadam
No Clue, great thread. I got 2 W210. I am doing both. I have order 36mm.

Do you know how to reach to the bulb to replace? Do you go from trunk liner inside or you remove from outside 3 bolt and remove from outside?

Any information will be great. Remove the bulb from inside through trunk liner or outside by removing 3 bolts on top of lincense plate?
gotta remove the trunk linner and go from the inside
Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Why do you guys want a bright license plate light..?? .....that the last thing you want people to know your license plate numeber......just my 2 cents.....
Old 05-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
Why do you guys want a bright license plate light..?? .....that the last thing you want people to know your license plate numeber......just my 2 cents.....
It is the WHITE light we are after. (just to be unique)
It is the same idea when I look at Lexus Licsense plate, I look at it and "wow" yet I can NEVER remember what number on their plate.

Well...unless you cut someone off and flashing your finger or have personalize number like "Bite me", in that case, no matter how dim your plate light is... they will still try to remember it!!!!! blaha..
Old 05-23-2006, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
so for the interior over head lights u dnt need a resistor?

and the under door lights do not either? just pop the lights in?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by my E430 rocket
so for the interior over head lights u dnt need a resistor?

and the under door lights do not either? just pop the lights in?
Just reminder, the purpose of the resistor is to "fool" your car thinking the "bulb" is working. Therefore, you do NOT need any resistor for LED conversion if your car doesn't give you "defective Lamp" warning when a bulb is removed from its socket.

Answer to your question is NOPE.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hey no_clue, I've found the resistor does generate a bit of heat, suggest locating it elsewhere away from the housing by extending the connecting wires, just my $0.02

Somehow this set up did not work for me, the warnings still come up , maybe its the kind of bulb I am using...gonna try a resistor with a different value and see....
Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Hey no_clue, I've found the resistor does generate a bit of heat, suggest locating it elsewhere away from the housing by extending the connecting wires, just my $0.02

Somehow this set up did not work for me, the warnings still come up , maybe its the kind of bulb I am using...gonna try a resistor with a different value and see....

YOu could try the 50ohm one. BTW, the resistor doesn't get as warm as a OEM bulb produce, so, don't worry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $10 modification, you all can do it~~~~~~~~~~~