E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Latest mess w/ my car, arrhhhh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Latest mess w/ my car, arrhhhh

This must not be a good year for my W210. I spent literally nothing on it for the last few year (except mod and normal maintenance & services).

This year so far: I got rear-ended, then flex-disc, control-arm, and engine-mount asked for my credit card to be put in good use. Fortunately, all of these were taken care by a good bodyshop-Marikhian (Redondo) and MbzBest (Manhattan Beach). They charge some sweet money, but always got the job done right & fix problem the first time.

Few days ago, I heard a high pitch noise from the engine compactment when I accelarate. It got louder and louder. Car also feel like it's losing power. As the noise got worse, I thought it might be the belt that dry, so I sprayed some belt treatment on it. Didn't fix problem. Took car to my budy shop (mostly doing brake & tire). Open the hood, and we couldn't tell where the the noise really came from. On the way home from the shop, the car jerked back and forth, and went into limp mode. Being at home in OC, I couldn't take it to MbzBest (40 miles drive), so I took it to a shop in huntington beach that advertises as specialized in German cars. I was told up front that I would be charged $90 to diagnostic, no problem !.

Day 1: the shop owner called me back, and told me that the noise may caused by the A/C clutch, and the misfire & limp mode is potentially caused by MAF (which I just replaced last year). He also told me that my A/C compressor is toasted (suprise, since my A/C is freezing cold, and my car have no CEL whatsoever, I thought MAF would trigger CEL). He also spent time to explain to me how ECU and TCU in mercedes work together.

Day 2: shop owner called, and said noise is caused by harmonic balancer, and belt bearing & belt. Belt tensioner would have to be replaced also. He also said reading the computer show the misfire might caused by one of the catalyc conv gone bad. All 12 coil wire also need to be replaced, since 1/2 of them show low voltage.

Day 3: shop owner called (at this time, I feel bad, since I think he must have spent couple hours already on my car, way more than $90 that he charge me for one hour diagnostic). He told me to ignore whatever he told me in the last few days , I could replaced those items if I want, since they're old. The the cause of my car noise & ride problem: TRANSMISSION . And I think he's right this time.

To my opinion, the shop owner is very nice & sincere, since everytime I stopped by, look like someone was analyzing my car, I just wasn't comfortable w/ the way problem are found. I'm used to Mbz taking short time, and point out precisely problem in the first time. The labor rate is the same between the two shop ($90/hr), but I want to pay people who know exactly what's wrong.

I talked to Mark (SteveNL host), and decided that the best thing to do is to pay the $90 diagnostic fee and pull the car from the shop. At least, the shop owner got it right the 3rd day, but by then, even my wife could tell it's the trans. On the 3 miles from shop to my house, the car keep going into limp mode, or just stop. The noise is loud, and car shift completely eratically. I have to stop & restart the car couple time for the trans to engage again. And once I got home, by crawing under the car, I could hear it quite obviously that the noise came from the trans bay.

So look like I have to have the trans done. It'll be some pretty money. But what I care the most is the job quality. That shop quote me around $4500. I called around, and got quote vary from $3000-6700. MbzBest quote me around $4700. I might as well have the coil wires replaced, along with the belt. Will probably be another $1000-1500

I don't want to bring my car back to that shop. I will need to have my car towed to MbzBest if I pick them, and w/ that, if I need follow up service, they're too far from my house. So I'm looking for good shop in OC that know Benz well. Of course, it'll be heaven if the shop could do the job right & charge reasonable price.

Any recommendation for "good" shop in OC. At this point, I'm leaning toward Beach Benz, but they close tomorrow (Sat).

How much people typically pay for trans rebuild ? How about coil wire ? Belt job ?

Other option is to trade my car in the way it is (Luxury Auto Haus). Looking at a 02 E430 today, the diff amount is around $13-15K (at least), it doesn't handle well as my car though, probably due to stock wheels & suspension. I'll be shopping more in the next few days. Also look at new Infinity M35, good power, but handling & interior just don't feel the same.

Always want the W210 E55, but the way gas go and my commute ??

My wife asked why don't I touch the W211, don't know how to explain it, but I just have no love for it (probably due to all of the problems when we first got it & soft ride).

Any recommendation ? Shop ? Option (trade, fix, buy new car ...)

Last edited by zam2000; 07-01-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
210 55 can be good on gas mileage if you drive slow and don't stomp on the gas, which is damn near impossible NOT to do!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
All of my friends who drive W210 E55s get about 18 mpg in Silicon Valley traffic (which is bad but still not as bad as LA traffic). The W210 E55 is one of the greatest cars Mercedes has ever made. Can't go wrong here.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E430 Sport
Sorry to hear that Zam

How many miles on the car? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Even though the 722.6 trannys are "sealed", most MB techs would recommend changing fluid and filter at around 50-60k.

A fluid change may solve the problem but since it happened so suddenly I suspect the problem would more likely be electronic rather than mechanical.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Sorry to hear that Zam

How many miles on the car? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Even though the 722.6 trannys are "sealed", most MB techs would recommend changing fluid and filter at around 50-60k.

A fluid change may solve the problem but since it happened so suddenly I suspect the problem would more likely be electronic rather than mechanical.
Car has full trans service done every 50K mile (around $400). It now have around ..150K mile !!!. I don't buy that life-time trans oild that MBZ advertise. I don't believe anything mechanical or eletrical is lifetime. The noise that came from my trans is quite obviously that some of the bearing or gear inside the trans is broke. Horrible noise. If the problem is electrical, it wouldn't shift, or shift abnormally. With the way the noise happen, I have no doubt that something broke inside mechanically.

Found a shop to day that often done trans rebuild for German car. The shop owner, who used to be certified mechanic for House of Import (2nd largest Benz dealer in US) told me that the 772.6 trans is know to have problem. Searching the other benz forum show the same thing.

He'll open up my trans and let me know how much would it cost to rebuild. Basically, they'll replace what's broke or worn out. Best case is $1800, worst case is $2700. Will get car back on Wed.

As I shop around for place to fix my car, funny that lot of place advertise to fix Benz w/o any problem. But when I asked them about the Star Diagnostic tool, almost 1/2 have no clue what it is. I think it's fine for car 97 or earlier, but with 98-on (with FSS), I don't know how you can tap onto the TCU and ECU w/o the tool ?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
no way you'll be able to get 18mpg on a e55.......you couldn't but help to punch it here and there.....ahah

why don't you drive the w211? so it just sits at home?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S-550, 2001 E-430 & 1997 E-420
Angry MB Transmission Stinks

Zam, Sorry about your transmission.

I always worry on my W210 transmissions. I have been getting transmission service at MB dealer at Santa Barbara for $350 at 60K miles interval.

I also have 2 Toyota's, One with 200K and other with 110K, never had transmission problem.

I have been looking into 2004 W220, but don't feel comfortable about 7 speed transmission. 2004 was the first year MB came with 7 speed transmission.

Even the service adviser at MB of Santa Barbara telling me to stay away from 7 speed transmission, the reason, is software bug, mostly jerky shifting from 2-3.

I hope you get good deal on your transmission problem.

Thanks for all your help on projector lights etc.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news. Patient & taking advise from people w/ Benz knowledge (like Mark) eventually pay off.

I shopped my car at 6 different places in orange county, and my ususal shop (MBZ Best, South Bay):

- Fletcher Jones (Newport Beach): $6700 (rebuild trans replacement)
- Haus of Mercedes (Costa Mesa): $3500 - 4000
- Hansa auto repair (Huntington Beach): $3800-4000 (they actually originally quote me $7200, more of that later)
- Beach Benz (Huntington Beach): $4000-4500
- MBZ Best: $4700.
- Thien Tao garage (Santa Ana): $1800-3000.

All of these advertised as Mercedes specialized shop. All are really nice & professional in servicing customer

Hansa kept my car for two days, give me different reasons that my car go into limp mode. Can't blame them, since the car only go into limp mode and howl when trans get hot, so just lift it and look won't show much. At the end, they recommend that I replace belt tensioner, harmonic balancer, ignitiol coil, and trans rebuild, all of $7200. I'm suprise it takes them 2 full days to tell me it's my trans that toast. Also, I know that I have upgrade harmonic balancer, and my AC is dead cold, but they keep insist that my harmonic balancer is defective (true, if I didn't get the upgrade part), and my A/C about to fail !!!. They also said the computer show my car misfire, and it could also caused by one of the cat converter about to fail, but that would push repair bill to close too high (I'm not making this up, I have it all in paper). Btw, I have to pay the shop $93 for the diagnostic. However, they told me it's my trans that need to be done first, all other could wait.

All other shop give quote, but charge nothing for diagnostic.

All give one year guarantee on work. Hansa give 2 years/24K mile.

All were really professional, and standby their work quality.

The last place (Thien Tao garage) hook up the star diagnostic and show me the trans fail code (trans slip), right away, no other code whatsoever. They give me the best case, and worst case senario. They prefer to open up the trans, and give quote based on actually work. There's no other code in my car.

They called today, and told me first band in my trans mess up, all other parts are fine. Price ? $1600. One year guarantee, unlimited mileage.

The ThienTao owner used to be master mechanic at House of Import, decide to open buniness on his own now. He really knows Benz. And turn out he's friend of my friend.

I saw a flyer of his shop: full sync mobile-1 oil change:$55, Sched-A service: $180, Sched-B service: $290.

So it pays to shop around, and it matter to ask owner of shop to make sure they know what they're doing.

So I'm giving ThienTao garage a shout here: (714) 554-6299, tell him that Huy refer you.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM

2007 E550
My trans cost me $6K so I know how you feel but It also included torque converter and tanny mounts and whole bunch of other items that work with the tranny.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
Must have been the VN connection...
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Glad to see it is a Minor Problem with the trans...yes it DOES pay to shop around and ask LOTS of questions...

Make SURE that the shop WILL FLUSH the Torque Converter....Otherwise...The Clutch Material will take out the Fresh Trans!

BTW stop over to P/U The W211 Items!

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 07-14-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mark

Got the car back. The first key set in the trans is broke, and the clutch is burned. Car is back and drive alright now. I have a long list of parts that were replaced. The whole trans is service & flushed & new oil.

I'll try to stop by this Sat, is that okey ?

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Glad to see it is a Minor Problem with the trans...yes it DOES pay to shop around and ask LOTS of questions...

Make SURE that the shop WILL FLUSH the Torque Converter....Otherwise...The Clutch Material will take out the Fresh Trans!

BTW stop over to P/U The W211 Items!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:15 AM

1997 E420
Just wanted to share that on Saturday, I went to Thien Tao garage for an oil change for my E420, and I'm very happy with their service. Great communication with Randall Mai, and good price. $85.00