E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 E320 Navigation Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:47 PM
Almost a Member!

W210 E320 Navigation Questions

Hi, I finally bought a 2003 E320 Wagon. First I want to say thanks for everyone who helped me during the processing. Those advice are very helpful.

I played a while with the navigation on board. Since the car I bought didn't come with a navigation manual, I have a few questions as below. Any help will be appreciated!

1. The navigation on W210 looks awkward to me. The map doesn't show all roads' name. It only shows the name of the road which I am driving on at the bottom of the LCD display. Then how do I know whether I should turn or not if I don't input the destination address? Did I miss anything or is this the way it is?

2. It looks like I have no way to input the street number of a certain street. For example for an address like "1234 Foo St", I can only input "Foo st". It's ok for a small/short street. But what if I want go El Camino? It is a road all the way to Maxico!

3. The car only comes with one command navigation system CD (not DVD). Since this is a used car, I am not sure whether the new car dealer gave previous owner the whole set of CDs, or just a single CD of that state?

4. Where I can find/download a Navigation Owner's Manual?
Old 07-05-2006 | 09:18 PM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
Originally Posted by bzlvr
Hi, I finally bought a 2003 E320 Wagon. First I want to say thanks for everyone who helped me during the processing. Those advice are very helpful.

I played a while with the navigation on board. Since the car I bought didn't come with a navigation manual, I have a few questions as below. Any help will be appreciated!

1. The navigation on W210 looks awkward to me. The map doesn't show all roads' name. It only shows the name of the road which I am driving on at the bottom of the LCD display. Then how do I know whether I should turn or not if I don't input the destination address? Did I miss anything or is this the way it is?

2. It looks like I have no way to input the street number of a certain street. For example for an address like "1234 Foo St", I can only input "Foo st". It's ok for a small/short street. But what if I want go El Camino? It is a road all the way to Maxico!

3. The car only comes with one command navigation system CD (not DVD). Since this is a used car, I am not sure whether the new car dealer gave previous owner the whole set of CDs, or just a single CD of that state?

1. You're correct that the COMAND system doesn't show all the street names. You can try zooming in or out (two top Z+ and Z- buttons) to display more street names.

2. After you input the street name, you can input the house number. Look for the command on the bottom of the display.

3. The car comes with a complete set of CDs. You can buy a new set at the dealer. They don't sell individual CDs. My dealer updated the COMAND system to the latest software at no cost. The latest software "grays out" the characters that have no use when inputting addresses. The latest CDs also allow you to navigate across CD zones, but only on the major roads and interstates.

4. I don't know where to get the manual, other than at the dealer. Maybe they'll let you borrow one from a used car to copy. There are quite a lot of features that aren't obvious. For instance, there is an Auxiliary input in the glove compartment for an external source, such as an Ipod. To access it, press the SVC button and then highlight and press the Aux function.
Old 07-06-2006 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Thumbs up Congratulations bzlvr!

Welcome to the "club" finally. You were very diligent with your questions, and are, in my opnion, a smart shopper. I hope you have at least some warranty months/miles left, just in case.

If I were you, I'd go back to the seller and ask them to give you the rest of the instructions that they probably still have. I can almost GUARANTEE that the original owner recived at least as much as I have here.

My 2001 came with the COMAND CD/Nav, 1 CD (specific for my area of the country - #6), a hardback COMAND book, plus a small spiral-bound quick-reference guide devoted to the COMAND (Quick Tips 2). I also have the regular owner's manual and a few other odds and ends. Now you have me wondering where my Quick Tips 1 is?

This info might be meaningless to you since you have a newer vehicle than I do. The salesman told me that "MB used to do it this way" (meaning CD by region). I haven't even tried it out yet, heck, mine might not work correctly. if at all.

However, once I do, I'll gladly share anything I can on your thread.

Good Luck,
M

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-06-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-06-2006 | 07:13 PM

'01 E430 Sport
I love my COMAND

Originally Posted by bzlvr
COMAND manuals in .pdf can be found here: http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm

Another good COMAND site is here: http://www.mercupgrades.com/comand/faq.shtml

Good Luck and Happy COMAND'ing