E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New Lite Headlight Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420, 1983 300D
New Lite Headlight Cleaner

i finally bought the 3 part headlight cleaner you see on ebay all the time. i think there was a thread about this product a few months ago, but no real definitive results were posted. Well here they are....

Don't bother. At $15 i hardly feel taken, i'm sure that is what the solutions are worth. i think it's a little bottle of CLR, a little bottle of plastic polish and a little bottle of wax. they throw in a glove and a few towels, it's a pretty slick little package. the reality is, if your lights are pretty cloudy, this product won't do much for you. basically they say, if the product doesn't work, go out and buy some 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper - sand your lights and then try it again.

the lights look awesome as you're putting the first solution on, that must be when they get the dramatic before and after pictures - but it dries back to the cloudy mess you started with.

the product might have cleared up my lights by 20% - so you can decide if that's worth $15. At least i got to sit out in my garage and drink beer while the wife put the kids to bed....
Old 07-26-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by galleryvw
i finally bought the 3 part headlight cleaner you see on ebay all the time. i think there was a thread about this product a few months ago, but no real definitive results were posted. Well here they are....

Don't bother. At $15 i hardly feel taken, i'm sure that is what the solutions are worth. i think it's a little bottle of CLR, a little bottle of plastic polish and a little bottle of wax. they throw in a glove and a few towels, it's a pretty slick little package. the reality is, if your lights are pretty cloudy, this product won't do much for you. basically they say, if the product doesn't work, go out and buy some 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper - sand your lights and then try it again.

the lights look awesome as you're putting the first solution on, that must be when they get the dramatic before and after pictures - but it dries back to the cloudy mess you started with.

the product might have cleared up my lights by 20% - so you can decide if that's worth $15. At least i got to sit out in my garage and drink beer while the wife put the kids to bed....
I never tried ebay lens cleaner, but I post earlier about doing it yourself for less.

Get 1000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets)
And 2000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets) from Auto store or Homedepot.

1. Start w/ 1000 sand paper with water (must sand it wet)
2. wash off~
3. proceed w/ 2000 grid w/ water (must sand it wet and lots elbow grease and make sure all surface feel smooth)
4. Wash off~
5. Wait till dried and apply Meguiar's PlastX ($5.25 a bottle at Pepboy) At least you got a BIGGER BOTTLE compare to ebay.
Attached Thumbnails New Lite Headlight Cleaner-after.jpg   New Lite Headlight Cleaner-after1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2006, 02:27 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
using sandpaper isn't a breakthrough, true you may have spent $6-7 less than me, but the new lite process takes about 5 minutes, and sanding then polishing takes probably a half hour. So, although it didn't work, i could have saved 25 minutes.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by galleryvw
using sandpaper isn't a breakthrough, true you may have spent $6-7 less than me, but the new lite process takes about 5 minutes, and sanding then polishing takes probably a half hour. So, although it didn't work, i could have saved 25 minutes.
Wait, I may have end up spend more than you do.
After 45 min of elbow grease, I end up w/ 4 IBrophen and half bottle of ICY-HOT.

Personally, I think it is worth the effort. (just like some people spend hours to wax the car ) You can't wear Armani suit w/ pair of dirty glasses, eh?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 PM

CLK, R350
Smile Thanks for sandpaper TIP

I cant wait to try this on my E! I was washing the bugs off the front and realized how poorly the 6yr old headlights looked. Anything at this point would look better than their current state. I thought about updating to the aftermarket DEPOT headlights that are popular now, until I found out you had to alter the socket to fit the HID bulbs, and then they would still decrease visibility b/c the projector lense is a poor design! Thanks again for the refinishing tip!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 AM

1992 300SE (w140) / 1997 E420 (w210)
no_clue

How easy was it to remove the front headlight assembly that you have in your picture?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Benzito
no_clue

How easy was it to remove the front headlight assembly that you have in your picture?
I wouldn't say "easy", but I would say almost impossible to mess it up.

http://mb.braingears.com/W210/w210/d...y_lightsys.htm

After that, just remove the rubber seal.
Lens and housing are held together w/ series of clip, just use flat head screw driver.

OR!!!!! If you are too lazy to remove the headlight assembly. Use masking tape, tape around the headlight, make sure your sand paper will never touch body paint.

Get some ICY-HOT ready for your elbow..and dig in!
Attached Thumbnails New Lite Headlight Cleaner-after.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 07-27-2006 at 03:51 PM.