E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Another Newbie: Upgrading my Stereo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 Wagon
Another Newbie: Upgrading my Stereo?

I'm sure most of you are sick of all the threads on this topic, but in spite of reading all I could find on the topic, I can't seem to get a good handle on exactly how to do this. Basically, any input is fine, and if you're angry with yet another post on audio, feel free to berate me, as long as there's some advice involved as well.

I just got a 2000 E 320 wagon and I desperately want to hook up an Ipod and perhaps a satellite radio in the future as well. Everything I see seems to imply that it's darn near impossible to switch to an aftermarket receiver with the stock amp. I'm happy enough with sound quality as it stands, but wireless fm transmitters always anniy the bejeezus out of me switching stations, etc. I don't hvae the integrated phone option installed, but I read somewhere that removing the OEM console will mess with the inputs to the steering wheel, etc. I'm not keen on adding an FM modulator if I can get around it, partly because it would have to be wired in the back of the wagon with the installed CD changer. I'd like to keep the CD changer if possible, but I guess it isn't top priority. I can't afford to put a lot of money in it - tops probably $200 or so.

Ultimately, what are my options?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM

1997 E320
what I have for the time being is one of those tape adapters that goes into the tape player and I just plug it into my ipod, it works great and sound quality is so much better than FM transmitter, eventually I plan on changing the head unit but that is the cheapest route for now. and it lets me keep the cd changer which is nice.
here's a good discussion about switching to after market head unit
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/154115-once-all-before-you-getting-your-new-hu-your-bose.html
Old 08-16-2006, 07:10 PM

2000 E 320 Wagon
Originally Posted by koskesh
what I have for the time being is one of those tape adapters that goes into the tape player and I just plug it into my ipod, it works great and sound quality is so much better than FM transmitter, eventually I plan on changing the head unit but that is the cheapest route for now.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154115
Firstly, thank you for the input.

I've tried a tape adapter, but I can't fool the tape player into thinking it is closed, so after about 30 seconds the stereo starts beeping at me until i take the tape adapter out and close it, and if i close it with the tape adapter in it, it keeps the door open just enough so the pin doesn't depress far enough and it still beeps at me.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by PygmalionUndone
Firstly, thank you for the input.

I've tried a tape adapter, but I can't fool the tape player into thinking it is closed, so after about 30 seconds the stereo starts beeping at me until i take the tape adapter out and close it, and if i close it with the tape adapter in it, it keeps the door open just enough so the pin doesn't depress far enough and it still beeps at me.
If you get a after market HU, chances are you will not even bother w/ ipod anymore. ( I do have the ipod adaptor for my Blaupunkt, but I never bring my ipod w/ me anymore) Seriously, 250+ WMA/mp3 songs per CD......

*I sold my OEM CD changer for $190 and OEM headunit for $100 at ebay which I am so glad I got extra space in my trunk and extra $150 in my pocket after I bought a Blaupunkt.

Also, if you going w/ Satallite radio...it is the cheaper alternative.

BTW, you just need a voltage convertor for your Bose Amp.
(I got one from Crutchfield for $20)
Old 08-17-2006, 03:53 AM

W210 E320
my advice is to keep the stock unit or opt for the COMAND retrofit instead because putting in an aftermarket HU will look totally out of place with the current interior

my 2 cents tho
Old 08-17-2006, 09:39 AM

'04 Cobra & '04 S430
For the iPod I use the tape adapter on our car, and I have to pinch the cable to get the cover to close properly. My main complaint is that I have a bad ground slight noise (can hear a hum the increases and decreases pitch according to engine RPMs). When I don't have music on, it is annoying as heck to me, but my wife seems to not even notice it.

In my Cobra I have a wired RF Modulator that works like a charm. I think I might go that route in the MB as well.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:20 PM

2000 E 320 Wagon
Originally Posted by no_clue
If you get a after market HU, chances are you will not even bother w/ ipod anymore. ( I do have the ipod adaptor for my Blaupunkt, but I never bring my ipod w/ me anymore) Seriously, 250+ WMA/mp3 songs per CD......

*I sold my OEM CD changer for $190 and OEM headunit for $100 at ebay which I am so glad I got extra space in my trunk and extra $150 in my pocket after I bought a Blaupunkt.

Also, if you going w/ Satallite radio...it is the cheaper alternative.

BTW, you just need a voltage convertor for your Bose Amp.
(I got one from Crutchfield for $20)
Thanks so much for the response!

Firstly, which model of Benz do you have and which Blaupunkt did you get. In other words, will it match the 2000 wagon?

Secondly, which voltage conversion do you need for the amp?

And lastly, and possibly most importantly, I've heard that there are difficulties converting to an aftermarket HU with this model of benz because so much runs thru the unit and because it's one of the first models with fiber optic lines.

Last edited by PygmalionUndone; 08-17-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by PygmalionUndone
Thanks so much for the response!

Firstly, which model of Benz do you have and which Blaupunkt did you get. In other words, will it match the 2000 wagon?

Secondly, which voltage conversion do you need for the amp?

And lastly, and possibly most importantly, I've heard that there are difficulties converting to an aftermarket HU with this model of benz because so much runs thru the unit and because it's one of the first models with fiber optic lines.
I started this post.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154115

Maybe you can read through the reply carefully and decide if you want to go w/ Blaupunkt Key West as well.

Also the Scosche SLC4 Speaker to RCA Four Channel Line output converter $19.99 is what I am using now.

And yes, it will fit on your 2000 model.
ONLY problem is... ALL after market HU will NOT work w/ your steering control. (that is if you can live w/ that)

Remember, Bose Amp receiving 1~2W per channel RMS only. Hence....it is IMPORTANT to get the input/output/ voltage convertor.

Last edited by no_clue; 08-19-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
I've found that you don't need the voltage converter or anything complicated like that. All you need is a Volkswagon wiring harness, tap in or solder on some RCA cables, and you're good to go.

All the information about my install is here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=70-1784

The Bose amp accepts line level (RCA) outputs from any aftermarket head unit using this wiring harness. Yes, you will loose steering wheel controls and the trunk CD changer. If you get a headunit with iPod input (or which reads MP3 CDs), then you won't miss them.