E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

AMG wheel possiblities, what you guys think...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
AMG wheel possiblities, what you guys think...

hey guys,

I wanna buy these Brabus wheels for my E55 AMG. They are staggered 18x8.5/9.5 and are significantly lighter than my AMG cinderblocks (aka monoblocks). they are only $550 shipped for the full set (stupid cheap i know). Does anyone have pics of these types of wheels on a W210? If so i'd love to see them. anyways heres what they look like.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Those are not Brabus.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are replicas ... notice that the double spokes are different ... they open in the middle where the brabus have the same spacing since the begining to the end of the spokes...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E430 sport
did you get them

So, e55 PWR, did you investigate these rims any futher? What was the outcome? I know they are not Brabus but to 90% of folks out there that arent MB diehards, have never even heard of Brabus. I have a front right "injury" to my sport rim, and probably going to have to replace, depending on outcome of diagnostic tests. I am on a tight budget due to a 16 month old and one on the way. I have seen these before but as you are, I am apprehensive about them.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
just remember, 'you get what you pay for'. goodluck w/ those cheap chinese-made replicas
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Wink

You gotta get real AMG's,,they last and last,,,trust the experts ,up therre E55,they solved the same dilemna for me.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by ProV1
just remember, 'you get what you pay for'. goodluck w/ those cheap chinese-made replicas
FYI, some components of so called "highend" US rims are actually now made in China.... Hate to state the obvious but its not where they're made or who makes them, its more the quality standards and controls put in place.

rhettnashmb<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1783289", true); </SCRIPT>: Being on a tight budget still isn't a reason to get inferior products. There are always used branded wheels that are in "like new" condition - for a fraction of the new prices...<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1783289", true); </SCRIPT>

Stemags: Long time no chat, how ya going buddy? who are these "experts"? I see ya still lovin your AMG's ...

Last edited by Whitey; 10-06-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Would like to see the WEIGHT on this Replica Rim as The Real Brabus Rims are NOT Lite! I Had Them on my Smart

As Most Replica wheels are CAST NOT Forged. Do they have a DOT/TUV Test?

Also The Real AMG Wheels are a LOT Lighter than Most Replica rims..
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E430 sport
I agree with "whitey" being on a budget does not excuse buying inferior products. But like you said buying a used set of "branded" wheels for half price, there are a lot of branded products that come from the same manufacturer, but the name is different or established, and that offsets the price. I am sure everyone knows hundreds of examples of this. I am not arguing, and quality check is what matters. I have seen the same brabus wanna be's as above on a few other ebay sites, all with different names, OCG, ALT MB5, Bremma, etc. these might even be brand names, I haven't researched rims yet, and hopefully won't for a while-depending if my lt drivers rim is off. I do believe there is a more piece of mind, though, when buying a branded product.
I do have to say this MB forum is great- alot of activity-
Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 AM

01' E Fifty Five
I think its your preference of what your using them for, Ihave these exact replica wheels on my 320, I am obviously not interested in performance as you might be with an e55. As for look, these whls look gorgeous on my 320. If you want a pic to see I can get some for you
Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 10:15 PM

blah blah blah. Just because a wheel is a replica, doesn't default it as an inferior product. They all have to be certified by the same people. Name brand rims are just wheels of similar quality at an inflated price tag.

Originally Posted by cneedham810
I think its your preference of what your using them for, Ihave these exact replica wheels on my 320, I am obviously not interested in performance as you might be with an e55. As for look, these whls look gorgeous on my 320. If you want a pic to see I can get some for you
Chris
Please post pics. I've been thinking about getting these wheels too.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 AM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by agentMurdoc
Name brand rims are just wheels of similar quality at an inflated price tag.
Ah, are you quite sure about that? That's like saying a Hyundai is just like a M-B, because they both drive down the road... There can be quality issues with replica wheels compared to wheels like AMG, Brabus, etc. Look at a lot of the junk wheels listed on eBay and you'll see...
Old 10-08-2006, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Richard / E320
Ah, are you quite sure about that? That's like saying a Hyundai is just like a M-B, because they both drive down the road... There can be quality issues with replica wheels compared to wheels like AMG, Brabus, etc. Look at a lot of the junk wheels listed on eBay and you'll see...
you think high dollar wheels don't break and bend? I've seen multi-thousand dollar volks/rays rims snap a spoke while just driving. Car didn't hit anything, drove from one location with the wheel a-okay, and at the destination it had a broken spoke (LA to SF).

A Hyundai vs. MB comparison is just stupid, no offense to you, I just see it as an emtremely unfair comparison. There are too many variables involved (electricals, mechanical, luxury, comfort, etc.). I will say compare windows, is an OEM window better than an aftermarket one? How about headlights and taillights? Body parts would be more comparable with the wheels. Are OEM replacement body parts that inferior to OEM parts? Typically they are slightly thinner, but still pass the DOT and are approved by the government. Or maybe a better comparison would be tires, there is a cheap one vs a 500 dollar tire. I feel that my set of Nitto NT555 for 800 are just as good as those PS2's or whatever that'll cost like 2 grand or whatever. Heck I enjoy the NEXEN tires that I got for 400, excellent tread life and grip fairly well for my driving purposes. I'd even say I'd choose them over the Nittos. Should I be afraid that the NEXEN tires are gonna malfunction one day during a drive? Are you saying since NEXEN tires are made in Korea or Taiwan and aren't big dollar tires but adopt a similar tread design I should be afraid? No. They function fine and pass US regulations, just like those replica rims. By the way, the Nitto's and NEXENs are both in 18's with a staggered setup.

Bottom line is that replica wheels still have to undergo the same inspection process for safety purposes (I believe JIL and something else, I forgot what). It's not like a Taiwan or Chinese manufactuar can just produce these wheels and toss it in the US market without meeting US regulations.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by agentMurdoc
you think high dollar wheels don't break and bend? I've seen multi-thousand dollar volks/rays rims snap a spoke while just driving. Car didn't hit anything, drove from one location with the wheel a-okay, and at the destination it had a broken spoke (LA to SF).

A Hyundai vs. MB comparison is just stupid, no offense to you, I just see it as an emtremely unfair comparison. There are too many variables involved (electricals, mechanical, luxury, comfort, etc.). I will say compare windows, is an OEM window better than an aftermarket one? How about headlights and taillights? Body parts would be more comparable with the wheels. Are OEM replacement body parts that inferior to OEM parts? Typically they are slightly thinner, but still pass the DOT and are approved by the government. Or maybe a better comparison would be tires, there is a cheap one vs a 500 dollar tire. I feel that my set of Nitto NT555 for 800 are just as good as those PS2's or whatever that'll cost like 2 grand or whatever. Heck I enjoy the NEXEN tires that I got for 400, excellent tread life and grip fairly well for my driving purposes. I'd even say I'd choose them over the Nittos. Should I be afraid that the NEXEN tires are gonna malfunction one day during a drive? Are you saying since NEXEN tires are made in Korea or Taiwan and aren't big dollar tires but adopt a similar tread design I should be afraid? No. They function fine and pass US regulations, just like those replica rims. By the way, the Nitto's and NEXENs are both in 18's with a staggered setup.

Bottom line is that replica wheels still have to undergo the same inspection process for safety purposes (I believe JIL and something else, I forgot what). It's not like a Taiwan or Chinese manufactuar can just produce these wheels and toss it in the US market without meeting US regulations.
I won't belabor my point; you stated "Name brand rims are just wheels of similar quality at an inflated price tag." While you have made some excellent points posted above, you have presented no evidence to back up your claim of "Name brand rims are just wheels of similar quality at an inflated price tag." In my previous reply, that is in fact what I was challenging and still stand by that...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 AM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
wanna buy these Brabus wheels for my E55 AMG. They are staggered 18x8.5/9.5 and are significantly lighter than my AMG cinderblocks (aka monoblocks). they are only $550 shipped for the full set (stupid cheap i know). Does anyone have pics of these types of wheels on a W210? If so i'd love to see them. anyways heres what they look like.
I have a set of genuine E430 rims as pictured below,and they still suffer the
pitfalls (or is it potholes) of my much cheaper so called aftermarket rims seen here http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/sho...2/ppuser/15143

I don't think it's how much you paid,it's where you live,as screwed up roads
don't discriminate...

BTW E55 where did you see them,they look good...

Last edited by ruffrob; 10-09-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E430 sport
Originally Posted by cneedham810
Chris
I would like to see them!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM

2019 AMG C43, 2019 GLC 300, 1988 BMW 528E
Question

OK, I know these are a little different than the OP's wheels, but please give me your opinion - I am trying to decide between these 2 wheels:

(MB centercaps fit on OE wheels, but not the ASA AR1's)

BigO Tires - OE Performance Replica Wheels made in Japan - $195 each (in chrome):

OR from TireRack - ASA AR1's - $249 each:

Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
v-
are you trying to upgrade your OEM rims to larger? 17 or 18 or 19?
emailing you with questions

Last edited by raymond g-; 10-11-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E430 sport
In my opinion, I dig the OE replicas! Classic look, plus with them even though being OE replicas, I believe they won't hurt resale value.