E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My Windshield's Cracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My E300D's windshield is cracked (should I trust the local auto-glass shop)

I have a 1996 E300D, and my windshield was cracked while going down the freeway a couple of mornings ago. I called my local Mercedes-Benz Dealer (Brumos - Jacksonville, FL), who referred me to *** & ***** Glass. The Crack is about the size of a quarter, and my insurance carrier has recommended replacement.
Before I brought the car to them, I called the *** & ***** to see if they were going to but in an OEM Windshield (they said they would). They asked me to bring in the vehicle so they could be sure which windshield was needed. The receptionist was calling around to order the glass, when a technician from the back comes in, and they have an exchange, and he says "you may need to order it from mercedes." Which I thought was strange because that was how we had left it earlier already anyway. I was still at ease at this point though because they were still saying they would get it from MB.
Later he came back in, and they had what I would call a queit, conspiring conversation. I walk closer to get in on the conversation, and they tell me well, Mercedese may have stopped producing my windshield with the border around it (it has sun viser black dotted border, that also goes around the whole outside and covers the inner workings of the vents etc). They may not be able to get the black border, blah blah blah. My initial reaction was well, I guess that's fine, but I didn't look closely at where they shaded details are.
As I said it before the shading covers the vents, has a spot for the VIN, etc. I look rather young and didn't really bother dressing up to go into the shop because I was not anticipating getting the run around (shorts, etc.). My concern about the windshield is that I want it to cover the inner workings of the car; I'm also concerned about the thickness, noise reduction, and durability of what they may be putting in there. The car is a diesel after all, and right now runs very quiet. Is it likely that Mercedes has changed the glass specification? Would it matter if they are putting in something other than MB?
Sorry if this seems excessive but usually I do all of my own work because on our cars because I can't stand someone else's... carelessness. Thanks for reading! Sincerely, Dustin DuFault

Last edited by dustindufault; 11-17-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke with the dealer...

I spoke with the dealer today, and they said they always carry the stock windshield. Called the glass co. back, and they said oh, yeah sure that shouldn't be a problem. Who knows what caused all the confusion. Coulda been a...

or a

or even a

At any rate, glad to have the problem solved. Shop seems to be in shape now.

-Dustin