E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help - possible blown gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320
Oh and by the way, according to your logic, you're implying that consumer reports are lying. Why are no mercedes in these top 10?http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Autos...ontent=&page=4

or how about this?

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/a...o_reliability/

Most reliable Least reliable
Lexus IS300 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Acura RL (previous version) Jaguar S-Type
Toyota Camry (4-cyl.) BMW 7 Series
Toyota Avalon Jaguar X-Type
Lexus LS430 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Lexus GS300/GS430 (previous versions) Mercedes-Benz C-Class (V6)
Buick Regal (discontinued) Volvo S60 (AWD)
Pontiac Grand Prix Saab 9-3
Hyundai Sonata Pontiac Grand Prix (supercharged)
Infiniti G35 (AWD) Volkswagen Passat (AWD)
BMW 5 Series

WOW, isn't that ironic? Lexus more reliable than mercedes? Ohh... they must be lying (sarcasm)

You are lucky that you have not had that many problems with your mercedes. But that is NOT the case for many other mercedes drivers.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 AM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by sosh
Perhaps you use the same logic at the dealership that you use here. It appears that you are quite young and without much experience in life. Go and buy your Ford with your appreciation for quality you might like it better than your MB. Or, better yet go buy a Toyota and park it next to your Dad's car and look at the similarity. You really do not even know what quality and design are all about.
Did you not read what I wrote prior? I said I LIKE the mercedes design, that's why I drive them. Think before you type and keep your accusations to yourself. Oh, and another thing, WHEN was I comparing a Ford to a Mercedes? I was comparing a Lexus to Mercedes, and Lexus is preety damn close in quality, but surpasses by far in reliablility. Get your facts straight, read what I write. YOU need more experience in reading in general.

NEVER did I once say that Lexus' design is better than Mercedes. I have been talking about reliability this entire time, but you don't seem to read very well. I'm going out, i'll be back later to see your response.

Last edited by OldNate; 01-29-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
More of your convoluted logic. You are basing your life on a magazine that was recently made to revolk a test of products as they were not done correctly. If you base your life's purchases on that publication all I can say is good luck to you. I did read what you wrote and also noted the contradictory nature of it. I certainly hope that your occupation does not force you to use logic to make a living. The mag does also not test Ferrari, Maseratti, etc, etc. If you feel so strongly about your comments why not buy that Toyota or Ford?? My comments are based upon my experience with the numerous MB's I have purchased new since 1974. Yes, some were better than others but all were very good as has been my dealer. Go out and get some life experience and get back with me in 20 or so years.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM

1998 E320
I'm not basing it on a magazine, i'm basing it on CONSUMER REPORTS, meaning real experiences. Want me to back it up even more? Go to carreview.com. Type in mercedes, and then type in Lexus. Look at how consumers as in BUYERS rate lexus higher than mercedes. Look at how many people have problems with lexus, and compare that to problems with mercedes. Also, what does this have to do with them testing Ferraris and and Masseratis?

"If you feel so strongly about your comments why not buy that Toyota or Ford??"
Once again, when did I ever talk about Ford. And i'm not even going to answer that question in which Iv'e answered what.. 4 times already?

Also, another thing. YOU YOURSELF said that you have been working with Mercedes since 1974. Don't you think that makes yourself biased? Iv'e worked with BOTH, I have seen both sides and I KNOW which one is more reliable.

And one last note, quit the derogatory comments that are trying to put me down. I'm sure you do know that those that put someone else down, only do so to boost themselves up because of their own uncertainty of themselves.

Last edited by OldNate; 01-29-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nate
I'm not basing it on a magazine, i'm basing it on CONSUMER REPORTS, meaning real experiences. Want me to back it up even more? Go to carreview.com. Type in mercedes, and then type in Lexus. Look at how consumers as in BUYERS rate lexus higher than mercedes. Look at how many people have problems with lexus, and compare that to problems with mercedes. Also, what does this have to do with them testing Ferraris and and Masseratis?

"If you feel so strongly about your comments why not buy that Toyota or Ford??"
Once again, when did I ever talk about Ford. And i'm not even going to answer that question in which Iv'e answered what.. 4 times already?

Also, another thing. YOU YOURSELF said that you have been working with Mercedes since 1974. Don't you think that makes yourself biased? Iv'e worked with BOTH, I have seen both sides and I KNOW which one is more reliable.

And one last note, quit the derogatory comments that are trying to put me down. I'm sure you do know that those that put someone else down, only do so to boost themselves up because of their own uncertainty of themselves.
Nate, no one is trying to argue that Lexus is not a more reliable automobile. In fact, this point has been beaten to death in here numerous times. Nonetheless, when I looked at and drove both cars side by side there was no question to me which one was the better value. Would we all prefer it if our cars we're perfectly reliable? Hell yes, but in all honesty it's not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be. My total repair and maintenance bills average about $1200 yr, and it still drives the same as when I bought it.

I've tried every model Lexus has, including the new IS350, and I still haven't found one that feels remotely interesting to me. At the end of the day I need to be happy with the car, not just certain it won't need repair.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
Nate, no one is trying to argue that Lexus is not a more reliable automobile. In fact, this point has been beaten to death in here numerous times. Nonetheless, when I looked at and drove both cars side by side there was no question to me which one was the better value. Would we all prefer it if our cars we're perfectly reliable? Hell yes, but in all honesty it's not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be. My total repair and maintenance bills average about $1200 yr, and it still drives the same as when I bought it.

I've tried every model Lexus has, including the new IS350, and I still haven't found one that feels remotely interesting to me. At the end of the day I need to be happy with the car, not just certain it won't need repair.
Thanks slk55. You said "no one is trying to argue that Lexus is not a more reliable automobile," but you are wrong in thinking that no one thinks that mercedes is more reliable than lexus. Sosh, the person that I have been aruging with, has been trying to tell me that mercedes are more reliable than lexus. I was trying to get the point across that he is wrong. You are correct in the feeling of a vehicle, the mercedes drives and feels nicer.

Last edited by OldNate; 01-29-2007 at 11:53 PM.