E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I just bought a 2001 E430 4Matic and I need HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2001 E430 4Matic and I need HELP!

Hi all:

I'm new here and this is my first post! I need the M.B Expert help!!!

I just purchased a used 2001 E430 4Matic with 103,430 miles on it, I took the car to the M.B dealer in NJ for Diagnostic Check to see what kind of services need to be done on this car. The dealer gave me the following list for required services and fee.

Here are the details:

(1) Oil pan gasket leaking. >$325.00.

(2) Rear diff. leaking, >$750.00.

(3) Multiple misfire codes in system (needs tune with wire) >$945.00.

(4) Lower ball joints loose. >$525.00.

(5) Brake fluid flush. >$149.95.

(6) Coolant flushes. >$149.95.

(7) Drive belt and tensioner worn. >$575.00.

(8) Both vanity mirror covers broke off. >$85.00 each. (This one was under my request and I know it is not an important issue)

**************The total of services charge = $3,420.00************

Here are my questions:

(1) This vehicle was purchased from a dealership (not a M.B dealer) about a week ago, and they told me I have 30 days warranty and I believe the warranty is for inspection (this vehicle inspection was expired on Dec, 2006) they guarantee this vehicle to pass the DMV inspection. At this point, will the dealer pay any portion of my service bill? I mean, do they responsible for any problem on this vehicle? Are there any services related to the vehicle inspection?

(2) Can someone please tell me which service need to be done ASAP? And why? Or perhaps tell me in the order that I need to follow. According to the dealer's service consultant, I need to do all above services, every one of them. Is that true?

(3) Any advise for the pricing? I'm living in North Jersey area, is there a better place or better price for all the required services?

(4) Does anyone know a GOOD M.B mechanic/dealer in New Jersey? Is there a way to save $$$ on all the services?

Thank you so much for your time and your advice!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
Before your car has been worked on you will want to take a look at your Warranty Pamphlet to make sure which items are covered and which items are not covered. From your list I would think that the Oil Pan Leaking, Differential Leaks, misfires, and maybe the drive belts would be "warranty" items. Again make sure you know which items are covered under your warranty. You will first need to have your Service Advisor call up the warranty company and have the Service Advisor explain to them what needs to be done, he will get authorization from the Warranty Company, this may or may not require you to pay a deductible. I would have these items fixed by your dealer since it would be easier to get Warranty authorization at the dealer than an indy, and then have whatever items are not covered under warranty (i.e maintenance items) done at an indy.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
a few of these things could be handled by yourself without too much of an issue.

Those things would be the:

Brake fluid and coolant flush
drive belt and tensioner.

The fluid flushes are really cheap and easy to do. the belt can be bought for 40 bux at napa (Gates made belts), and the tensioner is 128 at bimmerparts.com.

The oil pan gasket leak is not a big deal unless its really gushing out of there. If its just sweating a little bit, hold off. Keep an eye on the level, and add more as necessary.

If the diff is also just sweating, clean it up and keep an eye on it. Its expensive, but there isn't much fluid in there, and if it leaks pretty bad, you'll want to get that cleared up.

For the codes, Id clear them, and see if they come back. Don't spend money unless you notice the car missing.

Finally, Id have the ball joints done.

Fwiw, I hope you didn't pay a lot for this car...
Old 01-14-2007, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Prices seem to be in line, the warranty you received as you stated is for DMV inspection only and the list does not seem to include any items that would preclude that. However it does seem to me that this MB was not well maintained and/or lots of items were defered. This could give you some indication of what you should expect in the future. You should have done this and obtained service records before your purchase. Good luck with it.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Thank you all for your feedbacks!

Husk323,

Thank you to remind me about the warranty; I don't think this 2001 E430 with 103,430 miles is cover by any warranty. I will double check to see if the previous owner bought the extended warranty or I will contact the MB Service Advisor and let him find out for me.

Oliverk,

Thanks for your expert advices. I got a pretty good deal on this car. Although I do not know what is Ball Joints, Drive Belt, Tensioner, Diff.... but I will do some research and find out if I can save some $$$.
P.S. I don't want to be rude, are you a Mercedes Benz mechanic? You do know a lot for this vehicle.

Sosh,

Thanks for you feedback. I was trying to get the Service Record for this vehicle form the MB dealer (I found a MB sales person businesses card in the car) but they won't release that information unless I'm the owner of this vehicle... After I receive my registration, I will ask them to send me a copy of service history record for sure.

Thank you all!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Kevin, I am far from an MB mechanic (im a finance guy), but I pretty much completely rebuilt my mustang cobra, so I have a pretty good mechanical understanding.

The basics:

the ball joints sit in the lower control arms. These connect the frame (for lack of a better word, its actually the subframe) to the spindle (what the brake disks sit on. The ball joint goes through the lower control arm, and bolts to the spindle. Its there to allow movement of the control arm vertically on an arc while keeping the spindle vertical.

The drive belt is actually the serpentine belt. This spins the alternator, the water pump, the air conditioning compressor pulley, and the power steering. Its on the front of the motor and is driven by the crankshaft pulley.

The tensioner is just a pulley with a spring that applies tension to the aforementioned belt to keep it taught.

The diff is short for differential. This is the device also commonly known as a "rearend" which takes the power coming from the engine, and splits/diverts it to the rear wheels. It is done through a ring gear, and a pinion gear, which also determine the final drive ratio.

However, if you aren't familiar with these things, maybe find an independant mechanic who can do this stuff the first time, while you watch, so you get a better idea of whats what.

good luck
Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I agree with a previous poster that a 6 maybe 7 year old car with over 100000 miles would be quite unlikely to have any warranty even extended. In addition many of the items you noted would not be covered by even an MB extended warranty as they are normal maintenence. As for the service records you should have had the seller produce them for you assuming he was the owner of the car. I would, if I were you have a dealer do the initial repairs as he had quoted you. This way at least you will be off to a good start. Then if you wish have an independent assume the work. Again, good luck!!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 PM

SL550, E550 4-Matic, X5, and others...
Originally Posted by Kevin2672
Hi all:

I'm new here and this is my first post! I need the M.B Expert help!!!

I just purchased a used 2001 E430 4Matic with 103,430 miles on it, I took the car to the M.B dealer in NJ for Diagnostic Check to see what kind of services need to be done on this car. The dealer gave me the following list for required services and fee.

Here are the details:

(1) Oil pan gasket leaking. >$325.00.

(2) Rear diff. leaking, >$750.00.

(3) Multiple misfire codes in system (needs tune with wire) >$945.00.

(4) Lower ball joints loose. >$525.00.

(5) Brake fluid flush. >$149.95.

(6) Coolant flushes. >$149.95.

(7) Drive belt and tensioner worn. >$575.00.

(8) Both vanity mirror covers broke off. >$85.00 each. (This one was under my request and I know it is not an important issue)

**************The total of services charge = $3,420.00************

Here are my questions:

(1) This vehicle was purchased from a dealership (not a M.B dealer) about a week ago, and they told me I have 30 days warranty and I believe the warranty is for inspection (this vehicle inspection was expired on Dec, 2006) they guarantee this vehicle to pass the DMV inspection. At this point, will the dealer pay any portion of my service bill? I mean, do they responsible for any problem on this vehicle? Are there any services related to the vehicle inspection?

(2) Can someone please tell me which service need to be done ASAP? And why? Or perhaps tell me in the order that I need to follow. According to the dealer's service consultant, I need to do all above services, every one of them. Is that true?

(3) Any advise for the pricing? I'm living in North Jersey area, is there a better place or better price for all the required services?

(4) Does anyone know a GOOD M.B mechanic/dealer in New Jersey? Is there a way to save $$$ on all the services?

Thank you so much for your time and your advice!!!

Try Ray Catena Mercedes Benz in Edison, New Jersey. They are a large dealership, and have been fair with pricing.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Thank you all!!!

Good news, I just confirmed by the mechanic who replaced the Oil Pan Gasket seal, Rear Differential seal and Front Axle seal on my E430 and he guarantee his work. (I remember my salesperson told me they did some repair on the car, something about the leaking) He told me not to worry and the reason why the MB dealer they report the leaking could be (1) the pervious leak-left over. (2) The dealer tries to make some extra $$$. He also told me to check on the garage floor and find out if the leaking problem has been fixing.

I will need to replace the Drive Belt and Tensioner, Lower Ball Joint and repair the multiple misfire code in the system and it will cost me $2,000. I will try to talk to the dealer (where I purchase the vehicle) and ask them to do some repair for me because I don't think they can sell a car with that many problems on it.