E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration

I just purchased a 1997 E320 inline6. I put on new tires considering the old ones were thin. Right after putting on OEM size Continentals I noticed a major vibration. I of course thought it was the tires mis balance considering the old ones did not have this issue. They were re balanced 3 times and the tires store blamed it on old front end parts. bla bla bla

I went and had 2 new ***** joints, sway bushings replaced, front end alignment and perfect tire pressure.Should be good after spending that kinda loot. I drove off and &$@&#^$ !!!!
Its still there and begins to vibrate the steering wheel @ 40 mph. I took it on the E-Way doing 60-90 and still there just higher frequency.
It does increase with speed and has a tire tapping sound. Now the dealer and tire store are puzzled.

Any Ideas ??
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by KINGGLORY
I just purchased a 1997 E320 inline6. I put on new tires considering the old ones were thin. Right after putting on OEM size Continentals I noticed a major vibration. I of course thought it was the tires mis balance considering the old ones did not have this issue. They were re balanced 3 times and the tires store blamed it on old front end parts. bla bla bla

I went and had 2 new ***** joints, sway bushings replaced, front end alignment and perfect tire pressure.Should be good after spending that kinda loot. I drove off and &$@&#^$ !!!!
Its still there and begins to vibrate the steering wheel @ 40 mph. I took it on the E-Way doing 60-90 and still there just higher frequency.
It does increase with speed and has a tire tapping sound. Now the dealer and tire store are puzzled.

Any Ideas ??
go to a different trie balancing place. other then that i'm puzzeled
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
Tire pricing has a lot to do with quality control. Michelin tires aren't necessarily any better engineered than competitors, but the QC is better. Continental sells a lot of out-of-round tires, which can't be corrected by balancing. You pay less, but getting a good round batch of tires is more of a crapshoot.

If the problem began immediately after replacing the tires, it's a tire problem. Suspension parts usually decline gradually; they don't wear out in an hour at the tire shop.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

W210 E320
tell them to replace ur tires, simple as that
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Almost a Member!

update

I went to another tire shop and asked for a balance on all 4 today.
They said that 3 of the 4 tires were warped on the side walls. This causes a zig zag pattern when driving. That this is strange considering they look brand new. Then I gave them the story. They also said I had to call Continental for service.
I talked to their warranty adviser and he had me go to another tire store that does Conti service. They also agreed that the tires where crap and needed replaced.
So we shall see if this fixes the problem. Conti agreed to replace with anything I wanted in their product line free of charge. That was good but nonetheless, where is the quality ?

The best part of the day is when the #2 tire store over tighten the lugs and bent 3. Of course when I call them about the issue I got the " it was that way crap"

Anyhow, will advise you on the new tires. Just a shame that 75% of the tires I bought were defective. Quality German engineered?