E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Xenon headlight Problem on 1997 E420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:38 PM

Smile Xenon headlight Problem on 1997 E420

This is my first inquiry on the MBWorld forum. My left Xexon headlight died and I've done some research trying to discover the problem. The bulb (D2R-35W without an integrated igniter) is okay because it works fine when I install it into the right headlight. From what I found on the Web, a Xenon system generally consists of a bulb, an igniter (either separate or integrated, depending on the bulb type) and a ballast. I'm guessing my problem is with the power supply (the ballast?) since the bulb fires up momentarily and then immediated goes dark but works fine when installed on the opposite side. My theory is the Xenon bulb isn't getting enough power to sustain the arc once it is ignited. The local MB dealer only sells bulbs and a part called a headlamp control unit which runs $500.00 and change. No igniter or ballasts are available. They also sell a complete headlamp assembly which is $1,200.00+. I'm trying to avoid a $2000.00 visit to the stealer to have them fix this problem. Has anyone experienced a similar headlamp failure and what turned out to be the solution? Is this headlamp control unit the same as an igniter or ballast or both? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by sedona
This is my first inquiry on the MBWorld forum. My left Xexon headlight died and I've done some research trying to discover the problem. The bulb (D2R-35W without an integrated igniter) is okay because it works fine when I install it into the right headlight. From what I found on the Web, a Xenon system generally consists of a bulb, an igniter (either separate or integrated, depending on the bulb type) and a ballast. I'm guessing my problem is with the power supply (the ballast?) since the bulb fires up momentarily and then immediated goes dark but works fine when installed on the opposite side. My theory is the Xenon bulb isn't getting enough power to sustain the arc once it is ignited. The local MB dealer only sells bulbs and a part called a headlamp control unit which runs $500.00 and change. No igniter or ballasts are available. They also sell a complete headlamp assembly which is $1,200.00+. I'm trying to avoid a $2000.00 visit to the stealer to have them fix this problem. Has anyone experienced a similar headlamp failure and what turned out to be the solution? Is this headlamp control unit the same as an igniter or ballast or both? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
based on this

"the bulb fires up momentarily and then immediated goes dark but works fine when installed on the opposite side. "

it souds like the ballest. if i was in your shoes head to a custom tuneing shop and just get new xenons instaled. a xenon kit will run you no more then 400.

Last edited by Tommy_s4; 02-01-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2007 | 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Your xenon ballast die, your car use either Hella gen-2 or Bosch ballast, both are quite junk. You have to use the OEM ballast or ballast from Infinity or Lexus to prevent lamp failure message. Do not use aftermarket kit or other ballast, they might melt your wiring on the long run.

Any of these ballast would run anywhere $100-120 each. The key is to find a good one. Be careful w/ eBay, lot of people sell Mercedes/BMW light control unit, and list them as xenon, they're not. Local shop familiar with the OEM xenon should be able to do it for you for another $100-200 labor.

If you're in SoCal, or willing to ship the light out, I can help you.

Originally Posted by sedona