E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Start, ignition and electronic problem, CAN B and EIS E420 w210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Start, ignition and electronic problem, CAN B and EIS E420 w210

1997 E420 E class W210

My problem.

On my car several power option are not functional, STARTING - Windows, doors, moonroof, keyless entry, power seats, alarm, power door lock, windows wipers. And the main key with the remote does not work either, when you put in the ignition it tries to start the car but it will engine will not stay on, but the wallet/spare key does work. But all the power options above still do not work.

Interesting, the power mirrors only work all the time, but the power seats work if you close and open the door twice and keep the door open to adjust the seat.

Troubleshooting done.

1. Checked all the fuses under the hood, by the side of the door and under the seat, they all are in good condition.
2. Disconnected the battery for a while, to see if would reset anything but no luck. Followed the synchronization for the key but nothing again. Lock / unlock does turn on and off the lights on the rear view mirror but it does not do anything else. It does not unlock or lock the car.
3. Checked the batter at Autozone. Condition: Good, Low Charge. Wondering if the battery is causing any problems, which I am doubting because the car starts fine.
4. After to much time of research and reading on this issue, it seems that these problems are common on the e class. My conclusion is the CAN B which does the controlling of all these features including the staring.
5. Changed the batteries on the key also, but no hope.
6. Tried to start on neutral, still having the same problem. I figured that if you leave the master key in the ignition, position 2, for at least 30 sec sometimes it will start. Not sure, but this may be bypassing the EIC ( ELECTICAL IGNTION SYSTEM ) .

At this point I am convinced that there is a problem on CAN B , but I hope that my EIC is still good. Maybe a ground contact....

There is nothing else that I can test on the car myself but I am open to suggestions. My last option is taking it to the dealer.

Open for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Start, ignition and electronic problem, CAN B and EIS E420 w210-can-b-w210.jpg  
Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem Fixed.

well I took the car to the dealer in Lindon UT, and for about one hour they were did not have any idea of what was happening. They mech. there needed at least 5 hours to figure out where the problem was. After talking to the manager he said that I was looking at spending a lot of money to fix the issue. Above $1500 for sure.
SO I took the car without fixing the problem and went home. Opened the fuse and box that was under the hood by the passenger side and checked all the cables. There I noticed that one of the connectors that had too many wires had one of the sides broken and it was not making good contact, because it was partially going in. Made sure the connector was placed in place properly and tried my windows.

Guess what.

I could not believe it myself but problem was fixed.

Since then everything has been working fine. And none of the crazy problems from above.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 W210

and all it that it was....a fuse

stealership is going mad
Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S-550, 2001 E-430 & 1997 E-420
Thumbs up Good job

Good job.

I am also feed up with stealer. Recently I had bad ignition coil on my 1997 E-420 W210.

Stealer wanted $650 for changing the 8 plugs and 1 ignition coil. What a rip off.

I did my self and cost me $140 in material and 4 hours of my time (4 Hours becasue I don't work on MB every day).

MB quality and car service is getting bad.

If my car under warranty, then I go to stealer and even then stealer wants you to buy more services that are not cover under warranty, WHY?