E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

SRS light stays on, part II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS light stays on, part II

To recap my original thread, I have a 2002 E320 Station Wagon. After probing some wires in the trunk area to determine which ones we needed to tap into for a trailer wiring harness, the SRS light came on and stays on. I know what you're thinking, but the wires we tapped into were just regular wires, all in the same bunch, and since we did find the turn signal and parking light wires I'm pretty sure we weren't fooling with any wires we weren't supposed to (none of the fiber optic or whatever wires that are a big no-no to even look at). My guess is we must have tapped into a wire that dealt with the airbag system, it saw a drop in voltage (the tool we used basically cuts into the insulation to touch the wire, has another wire that's grounded, and has a light that comes on if the wire you tapped into was hot), and tripped some kind of error code. That's just an educated guess, and I'm not that educated on Mercedes, so who knows. If you need to know what wires we were playing with, I can take pics...but again they were in a bundle with the tail lights, so you probably know what I'm talking about already.

Ok, so I bought a kit to use with carsoft 7.4, it's a kit that came with a multiplexer, so I won't have any problems accessing any of the systems, don't have to jump pins, or anything like that. I can't clear the error codes for the Airbag system, I can't even read anything from the Airbag system at all!

Maybe it's a problem with my setup, or maybe I have a more serious issue, or maybe it's something really simple (a fuse that's hidden perhaps, I checked the ones that were under the hood already). In case it's a problem with my setup, here's a list of every system I was able to access via the 38-pin port:

PMS
ME
ABS/ASR
Traction/ESP
SAM
DCM 1-4
Instrument Cluster
EGS
Airco
PSE
OCP
LCP
D2B - persistent error B1241 (I would erase, when I checked again it was back)
EIS

Here's a list of everything that I could NOT access (I knew some of these I don't even have, but included them anyways, I did not probe anything that was model specific where I could not choose W210):

FM
MSM
DFI
CDI
LH 104/119
LH 120
Airbag
BAS brake assist
HRA
Airmatic/ABC
PTS
UCP
RVS
AAM
EAM
KG
SBC
FFZ/FBS
VD

Under Special Functions, both Service Interval options work, as do both of the Adaptation Erase functions. Under Live data ME, EGS, and ESP (I did not try Airco) worked. I did not play with anything under Coding or Activation.

I also used another cable this system came with to connect directly to pin #30 of the 38-pin port. Basically it has three wires, one goes to positive, one to ground, and the last goes to the port you need to access. Again, nothing. Just to make sure I was doing it right, I connected it to the port for the PSE and it connected fine, was able to read from it and use the erase feature.

I also removed both fuses for the SRS system, when #10 is removed the light stays out, the other doesn't have that effect (forgot the number, it's like #13 or #15 or something). Side note, when I reinsert fuse #10 while the key is on it triggers an SOS alert on the dash. Don't know if this is good news or not (could be good news, as it doesn't normally trigger the SOS, so maybe the problem isn't that bad and the SRS system is still operational, it just has a fault code stored).

I did post a similar post under Tech Talk, but I was looking more for answers to why Carsoft wasn't working. Only got one response, didn't help. Posted again here because my main concern is getting the SRS error cleared (or at least see what it thinks is wrong), and this is more of a model-specific question. Nearest Indy is about 70 miles away, dealer is even farther, so I'd like to do as much troubleshooting as I possibly can before I have to take it in.

Last edited by josetann; 02-07-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM

To add to the above, I did also try accessing the Airbag via the ODB-II port, nadda. Also tried in all key positions, nadda. Dunno if this is related, but I have some funky responses from D2B. The response I normally get is this:

Single Diagnosis D2B - Status: ERROR !

Module Info : D2B
Module : Audio
MB - NR : 124 300 00 00
Supplier : not known
Hardware-Version: 00/00
Software-Version: 00/00
Dianosis recogn. : 0/0
Product. Date : 0.0.00

d2b.dxt
B1241

- Single diagnosis completed !

One time I was able to get this:

Single Diagnosis D2B - Status: ERROR !

Module Info : D2B
Module : Audio
MB - NR : 208 820 11 86
Supplier : Alpine
Hardware-Version: 15/02
Software-Version: 38/01
Dianosis recogn. : 31/1
Product. Date : 31.7.03

d2b.dxt
B1144

N1141 Set-actual configuration of D2B ring differs

- Single diagnosis completed !

I've repeatedly run the diagnosis and clearing the errors, there's no rhyme or reason for when it suddenly shows up correctly. Also, it did show up once in the correct format with no error codes. It responds in this manner unless the key is removed, then I get random inconsistent garbage (each time I do a diagnosis, something else pops up). Long as the key's in, it gives the output I gave above (still wrong but consistently the same info, except for the rare times it actually gives the correct info). Probably unrelated to the airbag system, but who knows.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM

I have a slightly related question.

Does carsoft allow you to perform version coding of the MCS to recognize new components on the D2B ring?