E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Now That It Is Autumn... (A/C Question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a Benzer anymore
Now That It Is Autumn... (A/C Question)

Hi:

Now that it is Autumn in the Big Apple, here is a question or a confirmation on "how it is..."

With the A/C off and you are running just the fan (and the temperature in on LO), how cool should that air be? The air that is being blown out of the vents seems much warmer than the outside air (if you stick your hand out of the window/sunroof).

Reason: It would be nice to have the same cool outside air come through the vents.

Just a question.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

97 E420
How do you turn the AC in this car?

Philip
Old 09-25-2002, 11:38 AM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Ed:

I'm here in the Big Apple with ya, and I have the same issue. Last night, I was driving home from NYC my 60 miles west to my house, and the temperature dipped from 70 at the Holland Tunnel to 55 by the time I pulled into my driveway. I was running on the EC mode with the sunroof popped. The lower portion of my windshield kept fogging up, so I had to put the defroster on twice. I kept going from too warm to too chilly.

I've driven and ridden in Benzes my entire life, and I can tell you that the climate control has always been a quirky thing. You should see the controls on my 1979 450SEL!

So, I have no answer to your question. Just some more thoughts.

I think the issue with the Benzes is that they have "climate control" as opposed to A/C on/off switches. Case in point: my Rover has standard dials, dual-zone controls. There is an a/c on/off switch. If you have the A/C off, and the dials turned to cold, fan speed on 1 or higher, you get the nice, cool air that is outside.

Hey, how about when it's winter and you're freezing your a$$ off and you get into your Benz and crank the heat and it is blowing 60 degree air at you? I hate that too. Again, turn the Rover dials to red, thing heats up presto!

I'm not bashing M/B or really whining about this so much (I hope, on the latter point). I'm just expressing my observations. Maybe I'm just not a fan of climate control.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:20 PM

2001 CLK320
If your climate controls are similar...

Engaging the "EC" will turn off the AC compressor -

If you push the Windshield (pictorial) defrost button, you'll get maximum heat and high fan speed. That's primary for de-icing the windshield and gets way too warm for comfort.

If you toggle through the pictorial button that shows the airflow

^ or > or \/ and direct the air to go both up (windshield vents) and to the floor, you'll get whatever heat or cool setting and be able to keep the windshield free of fogging.

In rain or high humidity, you'll want the AC compressor to engage to de-humidify the air and keep the glass from fogging up.

Since the air even on "LO" setting passes through the heater and AC condersor, it probably will pick up a bit of heat - the water in the heater core will passively pick up heat from the engine's cooling system anyway - that's probably why it feels a bit warmer than the 'outside' air...the way around that is probably allow the AC on to regulate the temperature to what you want.

PS - below a certain temperature (about 45* F) most AC systems have a thermal protection switch to prevent damage from operating in low abient temperatures - so no worries about hurting the AC system in winter use.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:49 AM

Not a Benzer anymore
Last night in the rain...

Thanks for the replies.

The suggestions worked last night

Regards,

Ed