E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rough idle parked or at a stop light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e320 2005 scion XB
Rough idle parked or at a stop light

I just purchased a 2001 E320 with 61600miles and I am concerned that it idles a little rough. The car runs very strong and smooth but the idle is just enough to notice and at a stop its kinda of pulses with the idle is this something to be concerned about I have 4 days left until I can no longer trade it in on something different. I paid 17,500 but after financing its 28,000 the car has flaws paint chips windshield needs replaced and the clock, heater temp gauges, and the gear indicator have some of the dot matrix not working. I have waited all my life to get my Benz but I do not want to make a mistake here. I have spent 3 nights reading forums and this seems to be the one that I would trust for real advice. Any thoughts you may have please let me hear them.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by madazhell
I just purchased a 2001 E320 with 61600miles and I am concerned that it idles a little rough. The car runs very strong and smooth but the idle is just enough to notice and at a stop its kinda of pulses with the idle is this something to be concerned about I have 4 days left until I can no longer trade it in on something different. I paid 17,500 but after financing its 28,000 the car has flaws paint chips windshield needs replaced and the clock, heater temp gauges, and the gear indicator have some of the dot matrix not working. I have waited all my life to get my Benz but I do not want to make a mistake here. I have spent 3 nights reading forums and this seems to be the one that I would trust for real advice. Any thoughts you may have please let me hear them.

Did YOU have the car Inspected BEFORE YOU bought it? as that (The PPI) would have detected most of the problems.

If Not get it Inspected ASAP

Check it for stored codes..
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Yes, definately check it out ASAP on the PPI. My previous E420 had rough idle like this as well and the cause was the motor mounts. I replaced them and then it was smooth as new.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM

my guess would be motor mounts as well. Just had those replaced 2 days ago.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM

2001 e320 2005 scion XB
WOW you guys are all over it!

I am glad to get your replys so quickly. I would have never thought it would be broken motor mounts being a mechanic and building many cars in my life nothing like a new MB we are talking old chevys and air cooled Vdubz. Rough Idle was something like a bad plug wire or timing things like that. Thanks for the insight, and as for a inspection I am limited on funds at this time to pay for such a thing due to unseen bill that just came up ontop of down payment and all the extra crap we have to pay. Any idea of what it might cost to have the codes ran at the local MB dealer (BALL PARK)?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
Hey just wondering, do you need a PPI scanner to check all of the Mercedes-Benz codes? Can a Solis do the same work as a PPI, or what would be the difference between the two?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 AM

2001 e320 2005 scion XB
I watched the tac

I drove my car at lunch after reading your post. I watched the tac bump up as the car bumped around ever so lightly. Did your tac jump around when it was the motor mounts?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:10 AM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by madazhell
I am glad to get your replys so quickly. I would have never thought it would be broken motor mounts being a mechanic and building many cars in my life nothing like a new MB we are talking old chevys and air cooled Vdubz. Rough Idle was something like a bad plug wire or timing things like that. Thanks for the insight, and as for a inspection I am limited on funds at this time to pay for such a thing due to unseen bill that just came up ontop of down payment and all the extra crap we have to pay. Any idea of what it might cost to have the codes ran at the local MB dealer (BALL PARK)?
The dealer can just extract the codes from the computer or do a full inspection. I would think that code reading would be very little cost, but you definitely want an inspection if possible.

I don't know where you are located, but my closest dealership, Valencia, CA, runs specials from time to time for free 127 point inspections. A good PPI (pre purchase inspection) probably consists of more than that though. I've been quoted up to $1200 for a PPI including a leak-down test, but that was at an out of the way place in Santa Monica, CA, and on a 1987 560SL. The idea with a PPI is that if the car is a problem child, the $1200 could save you much much more in money, time, aggervation, etc.

Best to put it through a thorough inspection as soon as you can afford it.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 AM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by lxl_josh_lxl
Hey just wondering, do you need a PPI scanner to check all of the Mercedes-Benz codes? Can a Solis do the same work as a PPI, or what would be the difference between the two?
PPI = pre-purchase inspection

There do exist some code readers that are supposed to work on the W210, but I don't know if I would trust them. Your dealer, or authorized service center will have a more elaborate system to read the codes from your car, and can fix things that you probably can't with an aftermarket handheld scanner.

There are also some laptop adaptor units that will run DAS and will allow you to fix or royally screw up your car, should you want.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
Muhahaha my instructor (Certified w/ SAE) just purchased the German chip for the Solis.....I can now check vehicle error codes, clear past ones, and much more for free! (btw my MAF was destroyed & I attempted to clean it with MAF Sensor Cleaner) I'm tired of going to MB and getting 'raped' as many would say to get the check engine light fixed. How much does MB charge for a general scan?