E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hit and miss starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
Hit and miss starting

OK, 2001 E320 that has started having this issue. Sometimes I get in and it starts with no issues at all. Once in a while, but getting worse, it will begin to crank and then just stop cranking. No mechanical noise like a starter whine, just stops. Then the Tele aid prompt comes on with a 1 malfunction indicator. I can usually remove the key and try again and eventually it will catch and start normally. If I don't remove the key it won't even try to crank. I have been all over the battery and fuses and can find nothing amiss there. Is this an ignition switch, relay, starter, or worse? Since I don't get a click or anything, I am thinking worse...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
One of my other Benzes had a problem like that and it was the ignition switch.

On yours you should be able to let go of the key and the starter should continue to crank over. On my 2002, I can turn the key until the starter begins to crank over and release the key. No need to hold it until the engine starts.

It sounds like it could be the starter module that is not continuing to crank the starter motor over.

If it fails to start, you will have to turn the key back and pull it out in order to try starting it again. That keeps you from cranking the starter over while the engine is running.

Last edited by E-Klasse; 03-23-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 AM

2000 E 320S4 210.282 4Matic Estate
Hello Kaaruchi and E-Klasse

Well, I’m excited to see this thread, since I’ve researched on both forums for quite some time to no avail. Everything seemed to point to the cps sensor, which I recently replaced and there was no change.

On my car, a 2000, it begins cranking and then stops. But after the first few times it did it, I found out that if I would not let go of the key it would start after a two or three second pause. This always on a cold start.

I live in the Northeast and one thing I’ve been able to realize is the problem happens in colder weather only. Let’s say at temperatures of 50F and below. The problem completely goes away during the summer months. It’s had the problem ever since I bought it 16 months ago and some 20k miles.

The car has never stalled and I’m so used to live with the problem since it's so predictable. The only caveat is when you shut the engine off and it’s really cold, below freezing, it will not restart within the first 10 minutes or so from shutdown. You will have to go for a cup of coffee or take a walk and retry after a minimum of 15 minutes. Yes! I have timed it.

E-Klasse, where is the starter module located? Is it easy to diagnose/replace? Have part No. maybe?

Cheers and enjoy the weekend.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 AM

2001 E320
When it is functioning properly, I can release the key and it will continue to start. That was one of the first things that threw me when it first occurred. I thought I had let the key go too soon. I have since experimented with this and determined that it was not the case. Where is the ignition switch located and is there an easy way to check it? I am awaiting the arrival of the IDC and tech manual I ordered but if there is something I can do in the mean time it would be most rewarding.
Franasia, having grown up in NE I empathize with the cold weather issues but here in Portland we just have to worry about shoveling the rain or the occasional mud slide. I will keep all informed of the progress.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 AM

This may sound strange but it has happened to me. Turn the key, release, the engine cranks but will not start. Turns out that I inadvertently depress the lock pad on the key fob while twisting the key. This tripped the alarm and the ignition interlock. Got out of the car closed the door ,locked it and reopened it using the keyfob. Car started
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM

2001 E320
Interesting point on the key fob. I also tried turning the key 180 degrees and got the same results. Long story short, I brought it back to the repair shop where most of the work had been done on the car, they remembered the car and were happy to meet the new owner, and they diagnosed it as a bad starter relay. Considering the cost of the relay, I know it was lovingly handcrafted and came in a polished cherry wood box lined in velvet but it seems to have solved the problem for now. They did say they also replaced the battery free of charge though.....
Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 PM

2000 E 320S4 210.282 4Matic Estate
Hi KaaruchI,

In my case it was simpler ... new battery.

Great experience with Mercedes roadside assistance though. Technician was a nice fellow. After all it was still the original battery so I shouldn't feel bad about it he said.

Cheers.