E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Steering wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:05 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Steering wheel buttons

The multifunction switch buttons in the steering wheel of my 2000 E320 wagon have become stickey and dirty. I tried to clean them with a little soap and water but that just smeared what looked like a thick grease around. Simple Green cut the residue but now the buttons look like the surface in places is wearing off and they are still stickey to the touch. They appear to be deteriorating. The list price for replacement switches is $303 - ouch! Has anyone had this problem and found a solution cheaper than replacing the switches?
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:15 AM

'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
Thumbs down

Mine are looking like crap now too. I had wondered the same thing, but was afraid to even ask the dealer how much.
I wondered if any of the wood dash kits came with covers for the buttons.
I haven't seen any, but who knows?
I'm ready to ditch the whole car anyway. The thing is beginning to fall apart around me. I half expect to carry home a rearview mirror and an ingition switch any day now.
-The drivers' inside door handle is shedding the vinyl.
-The drivers' side headrest has come apart.
-The buttons on the steering wheel are worn.
-The steering wheel has lost the original color and feels gummy.
-The pad between the drivers' seat and the center console broke off the other day (this is the part that catches your loose change before it goes under the seat rails).
-The seal along the bottom of the windshield has cracks in it that look like it has shrunk. I expect it to leak after every wash.
-The roof antenna came apart.
-The rear headrests rattle when they are folded down if the stereo is loud enough to hear.

None of these are an easy or inexpensive repair. Heck, even the roof antenna (just the plastic cover and rubber tip!) is over $100 at the dealer.

I'm losing interest in this car rapidly.
++++
Old 03-30-2007 | 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
The multifunction switch buttons in the steering wheel of my 2000 E320 wagon have become stickey and dirty. I tried to clean them with a little soap and water but that just smeared what looked like a thick grease around. Simple Green cut the residue but now the buttons look like the surface in places is wearing off and they are still stickey to the touch. They appear to be deteriorating. The list price for replacement switches is $303 - ouch! Has anyone had this problem and found a solution cheaper than replacing the switches?
Only the volume up/down on mine is starting to turn a little brownish but I have tried to clean it with anything yet. I might give it a shot with some rubber cleaner this weekend and see what happens. I'm afraid I might rub off the arrows on it if I clean it though...
Old 03-30-2007 | 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
Mine are looking like crap now too. I had wondered the same thing, but was afraid to even ask the dealer how much.
I wondered if any of the wood dash kits came with covers for the buttons.
I haven't seen any, but who knows?
I'm ready to ditch the whole car anyway. The thing is beginning to fall apart around me. I half expect to carry home a rearview mirror and an ingition switch any day now.
-The drivers' inside door handle is shedding the vinyl.
-The drivers' side headrest has come apart.
-The buttons on the steering wheel are worn.
-The steering wheel has lost the original color and feels gummy.
-The pad between the drivers' seat and the center console broke off the other day (this is the part that catches your loose change before it goes under the seat rails).
-The seal along the bottom of the windshield has cracks in it that look like it has shrunk. I expect it to leak after every wash.
-The roof antenna came apart.
-The rear headrests rattle when they are folded down if the stereo is loud enough to hear.

None of these are an easy or inexpensive repair. Heck, even the roof antenna (just the plastic cover and rubber tip!) is over $100 at the dealer.

I'm losing interest in this car rapidly.
++++
Mostly all minor fixes and not that expensive at the junkyard or even the stealership for that matter. I have seen some of the parts you are referring to on ebay as well if you feel like keeping the car and fixing it. I've replaced/repaired a lot of the parts you are referring to in the past and they're easy fixes...