E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Shock Shaft Sleeve... Where to purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Shock Shaft Sleeve... Where to purchase?

Hey guys, hopefully someone knows where I can purchase a new set of sleeves for the shock shaft as I am transferring the shaft protective sleeve from my OEM shocks to my replacement shocks that are naked. The sleeves on my OEM shocks were stamped in three places to hold them in place on the shaft, so they had to go.
Attached Thumbnails Shock Shaft Sleeve... Where to purchase?-1.jpg   Shock Shaft Sleeve... Where to purchase?-dsc01062.jpg  
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Figured out a better replacement. I went to Lowe's and found the same diameter copper pipe as the sleeve. 3/8" x 2' long pipe for under $8 and I'm all set.

I've included a photo of my prototype. Even the new rubber bushing fits over it no problem. Being that it's copper, I don't see it rusting onto the shock shaft as the old one did.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'00 E430, '83 Porsche 928S
IMHO I think you would be better off using something to help with noise abatement. Use something like some high pressure fuel line or a teflon bushing. I think you are going to hear that hitting your shock tower on the rear of your car when you go over rough road. You may not, but you might be like me when I replacement my shocks and went with a rubber pad that did not have an offset for the hole in the rear shock tower. I could hear hear the shock rod knocking when I went over bumps.

Good luck either way.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by Ala-benz
IMHO I think you would be better off using something to help with noise abatement. Use something like some high pressure fuel line or a teflon bushing. I think you are going to hear that hitting your shock tower on the rear of your car when you go over rough road. You may not, but you might be like me when I replacement my shocks and went with a rubber pad that did not have an offset for the hole in the rear shock tower. I could hear hear the shock rod knocking when I went over bumps.

Good luck either way.
Good point made. Although I have transferred the bump stop off the OEM shock. I assume this should take care of bottoming out, or am I missing the point you are trying to bring across?
Attached Thumbnails Shock Shaft Sleeve... Where to purchase?-dsc01062.jpg