E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

96 E320 Loud High Pitch Noise on cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 E320 Loud High Pitch Noise on cold start

Hi guys,

I own a 96 e320 here in hawaii and this noise happens everytime on a cold start.
Has been now for the past 2 months. It's a loud high pitch whirring/squeal (like a mini siren) and after 45 secs it goes away. For example, in our community we have the siren that lets us know if theres some kind of warning (war or disaster), the noise comes on, whines, and then when it shuts down it dies down like the siren does (i hope that was a good analogy haha). It usually comes back again for maybe 5 seconds once the car goes back to idle (like if i start it and take off, at the next traffic light itll come back on for less then 5 secs). The noise will not come back at any other time unless the car sits for hours before the next start.

I know it's not a drive belt. I'd think its some kind of pulley or bearing but the type of sound it is and then cycles off within a minute doesn't seem right. I've given up and now see if someone else has dealt with this issue before. my best guess is some kind of vaccum or ac noise. All components on car works fine and nothing changes the pitch or length of the sound while doing anything (turning ac on, driving, etc)

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 AM

W210 E320
could be the air pump
Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Question Siren-like noise

I heard a sound similar to yours once, but mine sounded like it was coming from the center console air duct so I thought it was a fan going bad. It also happened to me on a cold start, and coincidentally on a day when I was just heading out to the dealer for service 60 miles away.

I told them about it, and the tech could not duplicate it (typical, huh?) For one thing, it was well warmed up by the time I got there and I don't think it had enough time to get cold before they got to it. That was several months ago, and it has not happened again. Good luck with yours and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Musikmann; 05-29-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: change
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Originally Posted by gatsu
Hi guys,

I own a 96 e320 here in hawaii and this noise happens everytime on a cold start.
Has been now for the past 2 months. It's a loud high pitch whirring/squeal (like a mini siren) and after 45 secs it goes away. For example, in our community we have the siren that lets us know if theres some kind of warning (war or disaster), the noise comes on, whines, and then when it shuts down it dies down like the siren does (i hope that was a good analogy haha). It usually comes back again for maybe 5 seconds once the car goes back to idle (like if i start it and take off, at the next traffic light itll come back on for less then 5 secs). The noise will not come back at any other time unless the car sits for hours before the next start.

I know it's not a drive belt. I'd think its some kind of pulley or bearing but the type of sound it is and then cycles off within a minute doesn't seem right. I've given up and now see if someone else has dealt with this issue before. my best guess is some kind of vaccum or ac noise. All components on car works fine and nothing changes the pitch or length of the sound while doing anything (turning ac on, driving, etc)

Thank you for your time.

This is a common thing.
Nothing wrong with your car. It happens only when the engine is cold and will go off when it gets to a certain temperature.
I have had it since day 1 on my 96.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 PM

1997 s320, 1997 e320
yes, is just the air pump.