E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light

Since i dont drive my car to much, i filled the tank and added seafoam as a fuel stabilizer. A few days ago i drove the car, and the check engine light came on, the code was for the bank o2 sensors. Then after refueling it went away. I only have 30k miles on a 02. DO u guys think it will come back again?> and what should i use as a fuel stabilizer when storing the car for a few months
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM

2015 E350 4matic Sport and 2011 C300 4matic sport
Check for older posts on this subject. But even if you don't drive much I cannot imagine why you would use stabalizers. With primium gas they have all the stuff you need already in it. (Juust my opinion). The check engin light was probably because the gas cap was not properly put on. I live in NJ too.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
If you store your car for several months, I think it is much more important to have some type of battery charger running. There are several differing opinions as to which ones are best, and if you do a search you will likely find a couple hours of reading.

Anther subject you should read up on is about the only 2 fuel additives of which MB approves: one is Chevron Techron Concentrate, and the other is a MB-branded one (available through dealers and perhaps some other places).

Last edited by Musikmann; 06-29-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:45 AM

06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
Musikmann, I have used many cans of SeaFoam in my E420's fuel tank and even one in the engine crankcase. I had a computer issue late last year, engine code kept coming on, something about secondary air pump. I took it to the local MB dealer and they suggested an engine flush, like BG and even SeaFoam, after they told me the only way they could fix it was to disassemble the engine and clean all the carbon out manually. A $4,000 estimate.

After a can of SeaFoam in the tank and one in the crankcase and a good hard drive that engine code never came back on.

I think SeaFoam is the best..............just my opinion of course!

Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 AM

SL55
Obviously, Mr. Citrus has the answer...Good!

Thanks for the insight, dude!! Now...what the hell is seafoam, and where can I buy it?? Sorry, I'd never heard of it before. My SL55 has had the check engine light on for several days now...but it runs fine. Oddly enough, the dealer said he wasn't getting an error code....( I now live in Memphis...'nough said?). Anyway, thanks for sharing if you have any insight here!!

Last edited by MikeGtown; 07-19-2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Incorrect model of car. I have an S63, but mixed it up with the SL55...oops!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile seafoam

It's an additive like miracle oil,that you add to the fuel and oil,dissolves carbon,adds extra stability to the fuel and oil etc. online and some part stores if you check around.Get a code reader for 39.00 at harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94169
and read your own codes,Can't understand why the stealership would even let you drive away with a cel light on solid and not be able to pull a code.Either you need to get to a better shop or they need to be more diligent.
Anyway seafoam is for the carbon issues and your code could be for any one of about 7000 things the obd system can report.So get the code reader or go to pep boys or autozone and they will read it for free.But get the code and find out what code is active and report back to here or to your own model forum,before it does affect your great ride.
ohlord

Last edited by ohlord; 07-19-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Cool Fuel additives

Citruspilot,
If it worked for you, that's great! The tech I have work on my older Chrysler product likes BG 44K quite a bit. He said he ran a can through some car, and then disassembled the engine, and that puppy was clean. Also, my MB dealer sells and recommends their products, but the parts manager said he is afraid of 44K since it is so strong.

I also find it hard to believe that a CEL error message would not store a code the the Star diagnostics could not read, but maybe the simple one of loose gas cap would not register? I thought CELs always throw codes but I could easily be wrong there.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-19-2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 W210K
Hi, my 2001 E200 also had the engine lights problem,
i've just add 1 bottle of STP injector cleaner to the fuel tank 2 weeks ago, last week i drive till my fuel tank completely empty and the car stop along the road, i went to the petrol station and buy a bottle of petrol to fill up and drive to the petrol station to top up my gas. The engine lights came on after that, i went to my workshop and get them to reset the lights for me.
Everything seems fine after that, but few days later while travelling along the highway, my gas run low again but this time not only the low gas indicator lights up but the engine light lights up as well , so i went back to my workshop to reset the light , my mechanic told me the sensors inside the car might be spoilt so the engine lights keep coming back, but just yesterday out of the sudden the engine light came on again, this time my car still got about half tank of gas.
I'm wondering if its the STP fuel injector cleaner or i drive the car untill its 100% empty that is causing this.
Can anyone give me some advise on this ???
Meanwhile i remove the engine light's bulb behind the speedometer as i find it very irratating ,but at the same time worry that i might risk screwing up the engine because the car would not be able to warn me if there is anything wrong with the engine since i already remove the bulbs.

Someone please help.....................
Old 07-22-2007, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile read my post about maf insert

On this site and benzworld.org from a few days ago,you unknowingly are who I was talking about.Don't ignore the light,don't unplug the light,get a code reader and understand why it is lit up.Nothing against you,WE cheer you for checking in to find out what is wrong,but you can learn to fix it yourself,save lots of money and have fun at the same time.Harbor freight tools has a obd2 reader for 39bucks get one online or if you have a hbtools near you buy it local,read your codes and post them here or pm me if you need more help.
could be a maf going bad,loose gas cap,air leak,but first get the codes!
Re hook up the bulb let it annoy you.You can also get the codes read for free at autozone pepboys etc.,I still rec you get the reader tho it comes in handy for all sorts of issues.
stay away from the dealer if we can't teach you how to fix it,a local indie shop is in your area that will be a lot less expensive,and do better work.Either way if you know what's wrong they can't fleece you.
ohlord
p.s. Singapore,just noticed,little far to go to harbor freight but you must have a local auto parts supplier that can read the codes,your shop should really have been able to read and diagnose,the CEL if they were any good.Get them read,check back here,we will solve!

Last edited by ohlord; 07-22-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 W210K
Hi this is tne 1st time i post regarding this engine light issue.
Anyway i will go back to the workshop to let them check again, agreed its not wise to unplug the bulbs, don't feel safe.