E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Squeaky Noise due to window tint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320
Squeaky Noise due to window tint?

Hi,

I have a '98 E320 that has all four windows tinted. The driver and passenger side windows generally make a squeaky noise when coming down or going up. It sounds like it's being caused by the pressure that the outside rubber is putting on the tinted glass, which in a way is good because that will prevent any leaks. The noise is nothing new; it's just that I finally decided that I would do something about it So, can I do something (wax or some other magic chemical) to either prevent or reduce this noise? I have also noticed that this noise becomes greater during the winter or when it's cold outside, which further confirms my conclusion of the rubber being the culprit.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM

'97 E320
Originally Posted by aficionado
Hi,

I have a '98 E320 that has all four windows tinted. The driver and passenger side windows generally make a squeaky noise when coming down or going up. It sounds like it's being caused by the pressure that the outside rubber is putting on the tinted glass, which in a way is good because that will prevent any leaks. The noise is nothing new; it's just that I finally decided that I would do something about it So, can I do something (wax or some other magic chemical) to either prevent or reduce this noise? I have also noticed that this noise becomes greater during the winter or when it's cold outside, which further confirms my conclusion of the rubber being the culprit.

Thanks!
My non-tinted glass does the same thing...but only on really hot days (which we've had quite a few of lately). I thought it was just expansion of the weatherstripping...but, I too would like to know if anyone has a simple fix for this (that doesn't include covering my windows with WD40).
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Mine are the same. Installing moleskins may help

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=moleskin
Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 PM

1998 E320
Thanks for the info, illest. Installing the moleskin sounds like a pain so I guess I will have to find local shops that do this.