E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Just joined the regulator club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Just joined the regulator club

Lucky me!!!!!!
I've put about 25,000 miles on the car since i purchased it. In that time I've rolled down the rear windows exactly one time (when I was inspecting the car to purchase it) they both worked perfect at that time. Fast forward to today. It's about 3:00AM. I'm heading to the airport to pick up a friend and I hear some slight wind noise coming from the drivers rear door. At first I think maybe the door isn't closed tight but it also sounds like the window might be open a very small amount (perhaps 1/8" or so) I figure maybe I inadvertently bumped the switch earlier in the day or something. I think to myself "I really hate to push this switch" and after some mental persuasion I finally get up the ***** to press up on the switch. No response. I then push down on the switch and hear the snap crackle pop that means broken regulator. Luckily my window didn't fall down and was only stuck open an inch or so.

I purchased the regulator repair kit that was mentioned over on benzworld and it gets here in a few days. Hopefully that is the part that broke. I'll probably do a preliminary inspection later today just in case I need to order a complete regulator assembly.

At least I didn't join the rust club or the spring perch club. I guess things could be worse.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might as well purchase the one for the other side - it's only a matter of time.

Both of mine fail within 6k mile of each other.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I just rebuilt my broken regulator using the DIY on benzworld and the green replacement slide from Autohauz. Pretty easy retrofit for people who are somewhat handy. Might be a bit much for someone who has never tried work like this before but for only $7 its hard not to give it a try. A whole lot cheaper then buying a new regulator when its only this small plastic part that fails.