E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Finished wiring an Apexi SAFC NEO to my mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished wiring an Apexi SAFC NEO to my mercedes

This is awesome, it has a voltage multiplier that tricks the MAF into sending a higher airflow reading into the ECU and that makes it send more fuel. Ive heard the AFR on the e320 is pretty lean at like 14 sumthin hopefully this will help. It was cool checking out the ECU wires and stuff. Im 17 so doin this kinda stuff is new to me but it was amazing i learned so much in terms of how the car is wired and what wires to what.

I will disconnect all the wires from the connector and run them through the firewall tommorrow assuming theres a hole big enough somewhere.

Its a little messy and ive got some loose ends to cover but it works

Apexi Unit, cant wait to play with this thing

Heres a bonus, no check engine light even after 5 minutes of various RPM testing
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Is

this for the boosted engine?If not the signal will be sent to the ecu and the now to rich mixture will be sensed by the o2 sensors and they will try to adapt to the reading and loop back the info to the maf and the cycle will trip several obd2 codes.
So if the intent is to increase fuel due to the increased air with your turbo unit ,it may work.If you have not installed the boost yet and are trying to fry your cats with a lot of unburned fuel(more fuel with the same mass of air)go for it.
How is the turbo unit going ?and one more point---with the high compression in these engines,almost any level of boost is going to cause detonation so be warned.

400 bucks?pricey toy to play with if it cooks a cat or two and burns a few valves

Last edited by ohlord; 01-02-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 AM

I figured you'd be the first to chime in
Yes this is for the turbo set up. I have been playing with the controller and it doesnt trip anything becuase its not like im running 50% more fuel which is the controllers max, burnt valves come on that would take some REALLY crappy tuning. As far as detonation thats where a Cooling Mist Water/Meth injection kit comes into play to eliminate predetonation. Two other E320s have been wired for these and they run great and much stronger on the low end apparently.

Are you aware a w124 M104 equipped e320 was supercharged using a centrifugal Rotrex unit. He runs 12psi with stock internals and a water methanol injection, not to metion a SAFCII engine controlller cranked up to 49% more than the normal fuel consumption when the throttle is pegged. I know our engines are slightly different in that mine has a billion more sensors but the 02 sensor is more or less the same and if its not a problem for him it wont be and isnt for me. Power wise he's running 400 hp at the crank and hes been at the helm of that little monster for 2 years.

PS try $275 Ebay is a wonderful thing. I know im no Mosselman or Turbotechnics technitian but in terms of complexity the most challenging part of the whole setup has been finished.

Last edited by Max Hughes; 01-03-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
good job on the SAFC. Keep us updated on the progress of your turbo M104
Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
vehicles run 14.7 a/f at cruise because its the stoichometric mixture. No way in hell would MB run any engine at 14.x at WOT.

Probably drops to about 12.8 or so at WOT.

Not planning on running bigger injectors or fuel pump then?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM

I know i want to run 330cc injectors for a ford mustang becuase thats what the other guy used but i dont know what fuel pump i should get, he had a "twin stock pump" which i assumed was 2 stock pumps inline with each other. Would the all-to-common 255lph be good or would that pump way to much gas.

I was playing with it this morning and reading the tuning guide and i can set a low throttle point that is the starting point for when it starts to modifiy the signals so I set it at 40% any pedal position lower than 40% is running stock and above 40% is my custom air maps. Also it has a memory bank for 3-4 setups so I have a stock one and the modified one im working on.

Last edited by Max Hughes; 01-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
this doesn't work exactly like you think it's going to-

all it can do is tell the ecu that 50% more (roughly) air is going into the engine... it does this by increasing the voltage- once the voltage goes over 5 it's too high and the computer can't compensate anymore (doesn't know what to do). Basically, under a little bit of boost you go over 5 and this no longer does everything you need.

I'm in the same situation... but have other plans as far as making things work.

btw- want my fuel pump? I have to upgrade to something much larger (as soon as i figure out what will work) and mine will definitely pump plenty for your application.

-drew
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by silence
this doesn't work exactly like you think it's going to-

all it can do is tell the ecu that 50% more (roughly) air is going into the engine... it does this by increasing the voltage- once the voltage goes over 5 it's too high and the computer can't compensate anymore (doesn't know what to do). Basically, under a little bit of boost you go over 5 and this no longer does everything you need.

I'm in the same situation... but have other plans as far as making things work.

btw- want my fuel pump? I have to upgrade to something much larger (as soon as i figure out what will work) and mine will definitely pump plenty for your application.

-drew
thats simply the maf though.

if he were to run an E55 maf, he may get the headroom he needs.

A low boost 320 should not peg an E55 maf.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
i'd surmise to say: plugging that thing in w/o proper dyno tune utilizing a wideband renders the unit half useless (not to mention dangerous). it's true on s2k's and DSMs, it's probably true on a W210.

i have a spare AFC2 w/ p-n-p harness sitting underneath my coffee table as we speak...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM

About 1K miles(took it on a trip ) ago I borrowed the aem wideband out of my buddies wrecked crx. Used that till I was were I wanted for the NA setup. As for the MAF, it doesnt peg as easy as you think, as i said before there is a e320 supercharged to 12psi and the MAF is stock and hasnt pegged with 400hp(that was 8 psi but at 12 hes still good) at the crank.

Heres the car if you recognize it

Last edited by Max Hughes; 01-23-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

w210
Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
good job on the SAFC. Keep us updated on the progress of your turbo M104
can you send me more photos of you silver mb , i like it verry much, i have one in silver and want to do it nice , i need some examples ,thanks

if you can to bizoniukas@one.lt
thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 AM

W202 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Max Hughes
This is awesome, it has a voltage multiplier that tricks the MAF into sending a higher airflow reading into the ECU and that makes it send more fuel. Ive heard the AFR on the e320 is pretty lean at like 14 sumthin hopefully this will help. It was cool checking out the ECU wires and stuff. Im 17 so doin this kinda stuff is new to me but it was amazing i learned so much in terms of how the car is wired and what wires to what.

I will disconnect all the wires from the connector and run them through the firewall tommorrow assuming theres a hole big enough somewhere.

Its a little messy and ive got some loose ends to cover but it works

Apexi Unit, cant wait to play with this thing

Heres a bonus, no check engine light even after 5 minutes of various RPM testing
Hi Max,

I'm also a Mercedes Owner, I get a W202 C230K, I also wanna install a AFC in my car, but really don't know the wiring in between ECU and AFC.
Mind telling me the connection of this? Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 e55
I know its an old thread but has anyone else installed safc and tuned on their merc on na engine.
My last two cars na engines, I have done safc tuned and gained around 20 rear wheel torque in each instance. Its a cheap way to add HP and have a better AF ratio at least in Open loop mode, since its pointless to override the ecu at closed loop because of ECU adaptation.