E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Ignition key problem..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
Unhappy Ignition key problem..........

97 E420.........ignition key wont turn??? The switchblade key goes in but will not turn. I have two and neither one works??? Just started to happen yesterday. The ignition switch in the dash seems to be loose and makes noise around the steering column area as you move the key in the ignition. But it will not turn to the on position? Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by citruspilot; 01-08-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM

OK, lets try this approach. Does anybody have a link to show how to remove the ignition switch on the W210 model, E420 specific? I have searched high and low and do not seem to be able to find one................

Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Thats OK guys, I got it...............

Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/

The noise sounds like the steering lock died

This Job is a MAJOR PITA
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks Mark, I got your private message too. I did get the ignition switch out finally. The tumbler is defective I think. After removal the key still wont turn in the key socket. I ordered the tumbler and ignition lock switch thru the MB store here with vin #. Part should be here this AM.............

Hopefully thats the solution to my problem.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Update. Ive finally had something happen to me that I cant understand. Mercedes-Benz ignition switch systems are way over my head. Holy crap. Folks, dont waste your time trying to fix it like I did. Just take it to the dealership. Trust me.....................

Ive been able to fix most everything else on this car, front suspension parts, brakes, coils, plugs, window regulators, belt, radiator, lifter oil feed tubes in the engine, that sort of stuff. But this ignition switch thing is going to end up costing me about $600/700 bucks and the lose of use of my vehicle for about a week. I just cant do it so its on the hook to the dealership.

This is one job I recommend you "DO NOT" do yourself..........

Jeff
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by citruspilot
97 E420.........ignition key wont turn??? The switchblade key goes in but will not turn. I have two and neither one works??? Just started to happen yesterday. The ignition switch in the dash seems to be loose and makes noise around the steering column area as you move the key in the ignition. But it will not turn to the on position? Any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
According to your symptoms, the possible cause could be:
1) NO power supplied to the remote control key by the coil of EIS.
2) Key insert into the EIS longer than 30 minutes.
3) Microswitch in electronic ignition switch (EIS) sticks.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Car is in the shop being fixed. Should be done today. Interesting post wfsiew. I have replaced the whole key unit, from where you put the key in all the way back to and including the steering lock mechanism which has been surgically removed by the shop. Thats the bad part about this fix. You almost always have to replace the steering lock mechanism. Its a real pain the ****. Parts: $285.00, towing: $85.00, labor: ?? Havent been given the final labor cost yet but quoted about 4 hrs. My guess, $400.00 in labor. So, adding that all up, $400+$285+$85=$770.00. "Only" $770.00. I could have bought a nice set of used chrome AMG 17's, upgraded my lights with xenon up front, installed a high dollar stereo maybe even a command unit, had the front end lower and upper control arms replaced with new shocks, installed a really nice wooden steering wheel with left over money. Get the idea. What luck!

Just a few questions wfsiew. I replaced the batterys in the switch blade keys as a possible solution, made no difference. How can leaving the key in the ignition too long cause it to lock-up? Secondly, no power to EIS coil? How can that happen? And thirdly, how do you unstick the microswitch in the EIS?? Just curious thats all.

This W210 ignition key system is very elaborate and well thought out by those German engineers. Just not very user friendly or wallet friendly!

Jeff

Last edited by citruspilot; 01-18-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by citruspilot
Car is in the shop being fixed. Should be done today. Interesting post wfsiew. I have replaced the whole key unit, from where you put the key in all the way back to and including the steering lock mechanism which has been surgically removed by the shop. Thats the bad part about this fix. You almost always have to replace the steering lock mechanism. Its a real pain the ****. Parts: $285.00, towing: $85.00, labor: ?? Havent been given the final labor cost yet but quoted about 4 hrs. My guess, $400.00 in labor. So, adding that all up, $400+$285+$85=$770.00. "Only" $770.00. I could have bought a nice set of used chrome AMG 17's, upgraded my lights with xenon up front, installed a high dollar stereo maybe even a command unit, had the front end lower and upper control arms replaced with new shocks, installed a really nice wooden steering wheel with left over money. Get the idea. What luck!

Just a few questions wfsiew. I replaced the batterys in the switch blade keys as a possible solution, made no difference. How can leaving the key in the ignition too long cause it to lock-up? Secondly, no power to EIS coil? How can that happen? And thirdly, how do you unstick the microswitch in the EIS?? Just curious thats all.

This W210 ignition key system is very elaborate and well thought out by those German engineers. Just not very user friendly or wallet friendly!

Jeff
very sorry Jeff been no reply because im long time never visit the website. apologize for that.
Since u have try your new battery, tats mean not the ignition key problem. that was your EIS module or Steering colume control module problem, as my diagnose it is probably power supply of your EIS module or Steering control module, otherwise faulty on either control modules is possible.