E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Child safety seat hook retrofit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E550, 07 E550, 69 Mach I, 65 Hipo, 66 Fairlane GTA Conv, 66 Fairlane GT
Child safety seat hook retrofit.

I have a 2001 W210 which was the transition/optional year for manufactures to install those handy hooks in the back seat area to attach and child seat. MB elected not to to install them on the 2001 w210s. This feature was standard on the 2002. Does anybody know if this can be easily (bolt-in) retrofitted to the pre-2002 w210?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
Thumbs down Doh! Bad Plan, Homer!

I hate to ask my question like this..... (but here goes anyway!)

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO SECURE YOUR CHILD'S CARSEAT USING A SET OF MAKE-SHIFT ADD-ON HOMEMADE BRACKETS INSTEAD OF JUST USING THE SHOULDER STRAP SEAT BELT AND THE ANCHOR BEHIND/UNDERNEATH THE HEADREST?!

ARE YA NUTZ?

OK, I'm off the soapbox now. Seriously though, why not just use the method that MB and the DOT found to be appropriate and acceptably safe that came with your vehicle?

I have the same issue w/ our 01 e320. My 05 Tahoe has the 'latch system' catches and it is absolutely more convenient, so I totally get your point of wishing there was a way to integrate them into the MB; HOWEVER....

If you ever think about modifying a seatbelt/anchoring system in a car to accept a more convenient way of installing/removing the car seat, please re-read the above statement and consider how you would look on the news when a reporter asks you how your child flew out of the car and crashed head first under that 18 wheeler, still in their car seat.

BTW, no offense intended, (unless you actually try to make this work!)

+++

Last edited by dan_cobb; 01-16-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM

1997 W210 E300 TD Estate
FYI
My child seat is held in by the seat belt and my wife car (2005 Golf) has the ISO Fix clamps and her child seat utilises them.

When I bought both of these seat I did a considrable amount of research.
The main advantage of ISO Fix is thier very difficlut to fit incorrectly where as the seat blet harnessed child seats are frequently fitted incorrectly.

My research also noted a slight disadvantage to the ISO Fix system.
It rigidly holds the child seat in place and in the event of an accident the seat doesn't help absorb the forward momentom, leaving all the absorbtion to be taken by the child and the child seat straps.

Where as a seat using the seat blet does absorb more motion.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
I hate to ask my question like this..... (but here goes anyway!)
Read more closely--original poster asks for a retrofit kit designed by/provided by Mercedes.

If it exists it will be just as good as components fitted standard in 2002.

You answered a question not asked.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Wrong!

The original post does NOT ask about a MB retrofit "kit".
The original post does not even contain the word "kit", therefore you should not assume they are referring to a 'kit" that can be retrofitted to the car, instead you should read and interpret exactly what was posted and nothing more.

Perhaps you should have read the original post a second time before telling me what they were asking about.

BTW, your post is absolutley pointless except to cast criticism about my reply.

Thanks for spewing your venom, now go back to your regularly scheduled ignorance.
+++

Originally Posted by lkchris
Read more closely--original poster asks for a retrofit kit designed by/provided by Mercedes.

If it exists it will be just as good as components fitted standard in 2002.

You answered a question not asked.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 AM

'04 Cobra & '04 S430
I was able to ancor a baby bucket base to the seatbelt anchors by removing the rear seat. Major major PITA, took me about 20 minutes to get it in. Pretty much I had to remove the seat, latch the base in, then replace the seat back into place under the baby bucket base. Once in, it worked very well though.

We recently put changed from the bucket to a baby seat, and could not get the LATCH strap to work because it was not long enough (rear facing baby seat for now, as it is the safer position - so no Tether yet). So I have been using the seatbelt instead. It is in there fairly tight, so I don't have any issues with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Ok, genius, see the word "retrofit" in the original post. If it takes more than one part, it's a kit. If Mercedes has a procedure to perform the retrofit it will indeed call the group of parts a kit.

Your post was nothing but self-righteousness on your part and of no usefulness whatsoever.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Ok, genius, see the word "retrofit" in the original post. If it takes more than one part, it's a kit. If Mercedes has a procedure to perform the retrofit it will indeed call the group of parts a kit.

Your post was nothing but self-righteous preaching and of no usefulness whatsoever.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM

I guess you are so proud of your reply that you had to post it a second time.

Good for you, now we will all stand and applaud your genious.
+++
Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E550, 07 E550, 69 Mach I, 65 Hipo, 66 Fairlane GTA Conv, 66 Fairlane GT
No need for a firestorm folks.

Dan, thank you for your concern about the welfare of my child - I had no intention of making anything homemade or jerry rigged.

I find the seat belt method a PITA compared to my wife's 2002 Toyota which has the built-in hooks as does Dad's E550. My goal was to know if it were possible to use original factory part(s), or a kit, to replicate the 2002 factory setup. If someone knows if this can be accomplished with relative ease I would appreciate your input.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM

2001 E55 AMG
I know it's an older topic and I really hate to post my comment like this (but here goes anyway!). WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU JUMP ALL OVER SOMEONE FOR SIMPLY TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO MAKE THEIR LIFE A TINY BIT EASIER WITHOUT SACRIFICING SAFETY? FURTHERMORE, WHY WOULD YOU SPEW YOUR VENOM ON SOMEONE ELSE WHO TRIED TO TASTEFULLY PROVIDE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM? LASTLY, WHY WOULD YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS UNLESS YOU WERE JUST TRYING TO BE A D__K? OK, I'm off my upper case soapbox now...and onto my lower case soap box. I'm simply looking to fit the same system they used in the 2002 M/Y to my 2001 M/Y car (note that there is no real difference in the cars). I wonder what all of those parents who drive the 2002 model of the same car told the same reporter while they were scraping children off the grills of 18 wheelers? Thanks Dan for making sure this post got completely side tracked and never provided the information requested. You (Dan) are useless.