E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Windscreen Washer Not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E200
Question Windscreen Washer Not working

Hey guys.

I bought my 1996 W210 E200 just before christmas and since, the windscreen washers have not worked. Not bad a bad thing in a country that doesn't get much rain, but I'm from Ireland so all it does is rain so I have to pull in everytime the dirt gets to heavy on the windscreen and clean it by hand!

This morning, I took the motor out of the tank and wired it direct to the battery and it works fine. When I push the stalk, the wiper fires up but no motor buzzing sound.

My fear is that there is a problem with the stalk or there's a break in the wire somewhere along the way which will be a nightmare!

Anybody had a similar problem? How'd you fix it?

any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Denver
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 PM

2001 e320 2004 e55
They are a dime a dozen on the streets of my town. I get angry when they lay on my 55's fender to reach the tough spots.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM

1998 E320 Sedan
I was finding that my windshield washers were clogged, so I thought I'd do a cleaning. You might find this to be the problem, but not sure:

1. Lift the hood to the complete opening position (look on one of the hinges and you can press a tab and actually open the hood (bonet) until its 90-degrees straight up giving you room to work on the engine)

2. Remove the black plastic water catch that is screwed onto the underside of the hood near your windshield wiper squirt nozzles. There are around 10 screws. You might want to clean this out while you have it off. Its where all the water and debris fall into throught the grill on top of your hood near the wipers.

3. Carefully remove the two nozzles from the hood. They have both a hose connection to move the wiper fluid to the nozzle, and an electrical connection which I suspect is a mini pump or regulator. Remove the electrical and inpsect the connection and replace them.

4. Remove the fluid hose and try to push fluid through with the wiper control on the steering column.

5. If no fluid, then you've got another problem.

6. Replace all the things you removed.

7. Extra: take a needle and poke it through the nozzle holes to clean out the nozzles from crud.

Good luck!!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:39 PM

W210 E200
Thanks Johnny. Will give it a try but I have a feeling its a bigger problem. The pump just isn't starting when I push the wiper control, but it worked fine when I wired it direct (albeit out of the washer bottle on the ground) but I'll give it a bash tomorrow morning and let you know!

Bossman 123... no idea what you're talkin about LOL

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
I had a similar problem a year or so ago. Whenever I used the washers the fluid was running out from under the car near the tranny. Weird I thought. So I opened the hood and tried them again. Sure enough the washer fluid was running out the black cover and making its way to the ground. Took the cover off and found that one of my lines had come off...................Not the same problem but a good story anyway, right?

Johnny's E320: Nice toes!

Jeff
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

I have same issue - Found bad washer pump relay

I have same issue. Pump is good when I connect direct from battery. But when I used wahser control frorm inside the car the pump/motot does not run.

I found that there is 3 relays, 2 for wipher motor control and one for washer pump control. The relay on washer pump is K3 is bad.

I drive 2001 E-430.