E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

COMAND Help Please..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 01
COMAND Help Please..

I had a flat battery on my 2000 Model E55, and as I was jump starting it I noticed my COMAND unit .. (GPS/RADIO) would not switch on anymore.

Have I burnt a fuse ? I tried to look at the fuse map but couldnt work it out

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just a fuse you think ?

Is it the fuses under the bonnet or under the rear seat.

Thx Peoples.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
There is a fuse on the back of the comand unit itself, by the "C" connectors. You must remove the wood panel and pull the comand out to get to this fuse, it is not located under the seat or in the engine bay, but actually on the comand unit itself.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Never

jump a battery with the key in the ignition.
Always properly charge a battery that has been drained flat,the charging system is not up to charging a totally discharged battery.
Reset the command system(key out) by disconnecting the neg lead to the battery and stepping on the brakes for 30 seconds and then rehooking up the neg terminal and following the reset procedure for after battery replacement in your owners manual.That should get it going again.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM

E55 01
Thx guys, I'll give it a go tonight
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM

E55 01
Still wouldnt work after I disconnected and reset the battery.

Does anyone know where the fuse is ?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by same
Still wouldnt work after I disconnected and reset the battery.

Does anyone know where the fuse is ?

Read my earlier post, Ohlord doesn't know what he is talking about with regards to the Comand unit as he does not have one....The fuse is on the back of the COMAND, remove the wood panel and pull the comand out and on back you will see it. Read my earlier post and you will see where it is.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
No

need to get hissyI have had comand units and the canbus system has responded to a reset when problems cropped up.Thought he could give it a try.
If he blew the fuse on the unit charging it properly with the key out of the ignition it should not have blown the fuse.Always start out with the simple things and work to the more complex.Now he can try your suggestion and remove the unit from the dash before you throw another hissy fit.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
The OP stated that he was "jump starting" the car not charging the battery. When he jump started the car is when he noticed the problems with the COMAND. Its obvious that the first thing anyone would check at this point would be the fuses. If everything else in the car is functioning as normal and the COMAND unit has its own seperate fuse, why would you not check this first? The problem is the COMAND unit is not getting power. CANBUS does not power the Comand unit. You say you have had COMAND units yet you do not know that the the CANBUS is just the interface that the car uses to "talk" with other components in the car.
How is this even relevant to the lack of power issue that the OP originally posted about?
If you do not have experience with this type of stuff why give out crappy advice?
Throwing off the wall solutions that really have nothing to do with the OP's description of the problem is pretty much a waste of time. The COMAND comes out with 4 screws two for the wood panel, and two torx bits for the comand itself. Its not "complex" to turn a screw driver and remove a wood panel. If the OP could take out his back seat to check the fuses, I am sure turning a screwdriver and removing 4 screws won't be a great task.

To use a computer analogy, the OP is complaining that his computer is not turning on, you told him to go reset his router.....How does that make any sense? Wouldn't the correct troubleshooting procedure go something like let me first check to see if I am getting power to my computer, and if I am not let me go check the circuit breaker? This analogy illustrates how CANBUS works with the COMAND unit, its merely the means in which COMAND communicates with other components in the car. From your "experience" I would hope you would have some basic understanding of what CANBUS is and does.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 AM

E55 01
I feel so silly

I've already checked under the seat and everything tested ok.

So tomorrow night I'll pull the panelling off and check the fuse on the unit itself.

Thx
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As

with all systems on the can network,after a break in power supply,a simple reset of the system is warranted.It works in the Bose system when it reads no cd or does not I.d. the changer or fails to display.Just thought it might help.
Once again the snide remarks come spewing out from the hills of Anaheim.
You have a nice day
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
No CD is a different problem and is on the fiber loop, totally different than a radio not turning on. You reset the Fiber Loop at the Comand unit so you are talking out of your ***. CANBUS is not used to communicate with the CD Changer, Phone, or anything else on the Fiber Loop thats called D2B (Digital Data Bus). The more you type, the more ignorant you look. You have no clue how the electronics function in this car. Which vehicle did you have again that had a comand and give you your "experience" working on these units? Hilarious.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm

not talking out of my ***,apparently I am talking to an ***.
Have had similar problems with the radio system on a few models and other members cars.The battery reset worked to resolve the problem.It was just a suggestion . The fact that you can't get over me pulling your leg about the M104 engine is no reason to keep jumping down my throat every time you disagree.Give it a rest
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
non-sequiturs as usual.... at least you learned something. So here is a quiz for you OHLORD:

What does Canbus Do?
What does Canbus not do?
What is D2b?
Why will your reset process not effect a Fiber Cd Changer?

Hopefully now there is no more confusion in your mind about these things. Or worse you have been spreading you misinformation with regards to your non-knowledge to many other people.

So what car did you own that had a COMAND in it? You never did answer that question.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's

take a vote of the people I have helped with my advice on this and other forums,v.s. the antagonistic posts you seem to be involved with here and on other group threads.
Half of your posts are arguing about the m104 and a pissing match about what playboy(you?) owns the most cars.
I said it was a suggestion,now really get a grip

digital data bus
and the wake up signal can be triggered by the battery reset.
W202
Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by same
I had a flat battery on my 2000 Model E55, and as I was jump starting it I noticed my COMAND unit .. (GPS/RADIO) would not switch on anymore.

Have I burnt a fuse ? I tried to look at the fuse map but couldnt work it out

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just a fuse you think ?

Is it the fuses under the bonnet or under the rear seat.

Thx Peoples.
On The W210 Comand its best to remove the Comand and UNPLUG the Unit
as The Comand has TWO SEPERATE Power sources 15 circuit and 30 circuit power with key on and power all the time..as when the battery goes dead the Comand will go to sleep and will most times wake up after the Comand is unplugged
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM

1999 E320 4matic Wagon
Command Help

I don't see what purpose is served to get in an argument about who knows what and cuss people out when they are trying to help. Husk 323, lighten up a bit!

As far as the battery, it should have been recharged by a charger plugged in to the wall, or by running the engine from the jumper car to charge the battery, with the jumpee key turned off.

Since that didn't happen, I would replace the battery with a new one, and see if the system activates. The dead battery is likely no good anyway. Usually dsiconnecting the battery will reset and the electronics will have to have the codes re-entered.