E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Interior and unlock flashing light problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Interior and unlock flashing light problem

I have searched here and elsewhere for a few days, and no one seem to know where the exact root of this problem is.

All of a sudden, on my 99 e320, the interior lights no longer work when the door opens or closes, also I can not set the interior lights to fade off when the door shuts like I used to, otherwise the lights work fine as they will stay on, but the automatic features do not work. I know how to properly set the auto interior buttons, so Im not asking which button it is, this seems like a basic electrical problem, on other vehicles its usually a fuse, relay, or frayed wire. I have done lots of testing, and I am still frustrated without any answers. At the same time, when I hit the lock button from the smart key, the lights do not flash indicating that the doors are locked, however, the doors lock as normal, just no lights light up as they use to, but when you unlock the doors from the smart key the front and rear lights light up as usual, but still no interior lights lighting up automatically.

I have checked all fuses, batteries in smart key, door pins, and everything is working fine. This is a major headache, and it would cost a mint to have this diagnosed at the dealer. It seems to be a common issue, but with no answers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone ever dealt with this problem, if so, how did you fix it?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM

I was able to find this response on the internet, but can anyone explain, where this module is, what it looks like, and where the circuit for the interior lights might be at, does anyone have schematics to this as well? How do you reactivate the entry feature as described?

"on the 210 chassis, you will most likely have to take that to the dealership, due to the fact that there are control modules in that circuit and they will need to be tested with a MB SDS computer. Sometimes the entry feature can be disactivated and will need to be turned back on, it can also be a door open switch malfunction, wiring to the control module, the control module itself."
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM

year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
I would think it has something to do with the relay ...If you've tried setting overhead dome light button? That is what is used to set auto dimming feature on my 2000. If it is pressed once car will not light, w/doors open or closed...pressed again and the feature turns on auto dimming lights for doors upon opening manually, and by hand held remote.

(You didn't say if you tried that? only that "you know how to set the auto interior button") Hope this may help.

If you have tried overhead dome light feature also you might want to post this in the Mercedes tech talk area of the forum...where they have a MB Tech to answer questions.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 2000
hi

just curious if you or anyone else might have slammed the seat belt lock in between the door by accident recently. Because i seemed to have a similar problem with my interior lights and blinking outside lights. Mercedes tech came out and fixed it. When i explained the light problems he knew right away what i did. But it costs i believe around $160 to fix.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 PM

97 E420 W210, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
check ur fuses behind the back seat. i know theres a fuse that controls the interior dome lights and the central control locking mechanism. i blew out my dome lights and then my car would not lock with the remote. idk if this is ur problem but worth checking out.